Safest pressing exercise for shoulders

@harmonmarie Arnold press with modification, have palms facing each other instead of facing forward at the top. I read about this somewhere and have successfully used it for years when my shoulders bum out.

@harmonmarie
I don't know, it just seems like a damned-if-you-do(n't) situation. Am I missing something? Am I overthinking this, and can just go ahead and bang out hundreds of reps of dips & pushups a day w/o worrying about it after all?

As a physical therapist my generalized opinion on this over the years is to try them all and see what feels the best. Then do that and eliminate the other ones if you don't care and just want to get some pushing work in.

Also, as other people have said, technique and proper amounts of frequency, intensity, and volume are always what usually contribute to decrease the risk of overuse injuries. Most of them you can feel coming on over time.

@harmonmarie Externally rotating your shoulders helps alleviate a lot of issues. Hence why people with shoulder issues use a football bar. Neutral grip pushups and neutral grip dumbbell press are very safe.

Back