Simple and Sinister - Tracking Spreadsheet Template

tmc08

Hi Everyone,

I have recently started S&S and created a spreadsheet for myself to be able to track my progress - and thought I would share with this subreddit. It is a Google Sheet.

Here is a screenshot of it, with sample data filled in.

You would input:
  • The date
  • How many days since you started your current step loading phase. E.g. if it was 3 weeks and 6 days since you started, you know the next session you will be going to the next step loading phase.
  • Swing type (one handed / two)
  • Record your sets as you do them. You would input the weight you are using when you have completed a set.
  • The time it takes you to do your warm up / swings / TGU (rounded up the nearest 15 seconds. E.g. 10:09 minutes = 10.25 on the spreadsheet. 25:17 = 25.5 on the spreadsheet)
  • Your heart rate data for the session. I wear a Bluetooth heart rate monitor that I purchased from Amazon, and use an app on android called "myWorkouts"
Here is a link to the spreadsheet, which will prompt you to make your own copy of it.

I personally have my laptop with me when I'm working out at home, so I just use the spreadsheet on that. However you could install google sheets on your phone and update the spreadsheet on your phone - it would just be a bit clunkier to input.

I hope some people find this useful :)

Edit: The spreadsheet is currently set to European dates. If you use American dates, go to File > Spreadsheet Settings > Locale > United States.

@tmc08 Nice. I record mine on a spreadsheet also, though since reading the updated version of S&S where Pavel suggests you just go on a talk test, I've stopped recording times (If there's a time, I'm a sucker for the urge to better it). I decided to just concentrate more on getting my form down and I definitely feel I've improved in that area.

I also stopped recording HR as I was resting more between sets and my starting HR was a fair bit lower so I never reached the previous highs. I may start again when I next move up a weight, just out of curiosity. I think you're doing the right thing though, it's better to have the data and not need it than vice versa. Happy lifting.

@contywebb Yeah I did see that doing S&S according to your HR isn't recommended, and best to just go by the talk test.

For me, I'm motivated by progress and it's always fun to do some analysis / graphs to see how far you've come. So I'm just tracking time and HR for curiosity / analysis sake.

I'm starting with the 16kg, and going to reach timeless simple and then simple standard... and it would be cool to have the data to look back upon :) Just getting my system set up before I properly embark on this journey... haha!

@tmc08 Nice work! Returning to S&S after getting lost in the sauce of previous programs that weren't KB-focused. Really appreciate you putting this together. :)

@tmc08 This is awesome. I just started doing S&S today and was thinking of creating something exactly like this. Now I don't have to! You're awesome...thanks again!

Back