What are some simple things you all do to improve your fitness?

@robertthompson The thing I love about this one is that once you start doing it you realize parking farther away and walking actually makes life easier as you aren't fighting to get into and out of the crowded, closer spots.

@iyimipiru I've always done it because I'm terrible at parking and a nervous driver lol. My kid complains that her dad parks closer to school but I hate doing complicated parking in a super busy street with all the parents driving past. I feel like in my years of no formal exercise it helped keep me mobile

@eyeq I love my yoga/strength training combo. The simple things I did that helped my fitness is actually asking for people advice who have the goals I have lol. This is the post. Made me feel less alone.

Other than that, there are three things that I consider the main pillars of my fitness: nutrition, rest, and progressive overload. My main goal is making sure all these three are being practiced. They’re synergistic. One can’t function well without the other.

Another would be spreadsheets and recording yourself. Good to keep track, and check form. Notion or Google sheets are great.

Lastly, and probably the most important, would be catering to mental health and spiritual health. We have a soul, spirit, and body. My fitness wouldn’t benefit me if I abandon my soul work and my spiritual needs. Approach your fitness as a piece to a whole (you).

@eyeq I make certain I walk a lot daily. Most weeks I average around 13k daily steps and I prefer to get 12k or above. I find it helps with my mental health, helps me recover from training better (particularly all the passive structures in my lower back, hips and knees stay loose, which is essential when you're living that long-femured powerlifter life) and makes me feel less lethargic throughout the day. I live in an extremely walkable city and am habituated to walking a ton, plus I currently have the time to go on daily walks, but realistically, you don't need to hit above 10k to get these benefits. Picking a target between 8-10k and hitting it consistently will probably yield most of the benefits. I do think even as a runner you can get some additional benefits from walking, if you aren't already doing that.

I also always keep some "art" in my training. Even now being (hyper)focused on powerlifting, I take some time in the week to stretch, handbalance, do some gymnastics and most recently I'm learning some bodybuilding poses. It's fun and increases body awareness and helps me not to get tunnel vision for just lifting.

@ronit Totally agree! For the longest time I was solely focused on lifting (and powerlifting is still my main sport) but got puffed walking up a flight of stairs and was always sore! Now I find just being active, walking, hiking, stretching, playing sports with friends, and dancing keep things fun and I feel better physically and mentally.

@eyeq I have flat feet, and part of my version to exercising is the burning pain my feet have even with fitted orthotics. Decided to have rowing as my cardio if choice

@eyeq I walk to work and back. I take the longer route just for the heck of it, on top of that I take a 3km walk in the evenings, all that comes up to 10km's and since it's divided into 3 different walks, I don't really even notice it. I already work in a kitchen so, I'm getting my daily steps in. Basically I stay active and on my feet most of the day.

I do take longer walks in the weekends and I do workout at home but I'd still contribute most of my good health and fitness to walking.

I was recently taking part in a week long special reservist training mission and for a 220lb 32 year old guy I wasn't exactly slowing anyone down nor did I feel like the action was too much for me. I rather enjoyed it.
Kind of fun to watch younger and slimmer people to get exhausted faster than me.

@twallacejolly Various hoka trail running shoes off work and in work I have to wear safety shoes, Sievi seems to be a decent brand that makes shoes that fit my feet.
I can't remember the specific models but both brands seem to be rather durable.
Took a while to get usef to Hoka's shoes, they are rather oddly shaped when you're used to normal plain flat bottom shoes. You'll get it when you test them out.
I can try to be more specific with the models if needed when I get off of work

@eyeq I lift 3-5 times a week. On weeks I only have time for 3 sessions I try to find other ways of being active: air squats, walking, taking the stairs a few times down and up again. Simple stretches when problem solving.

It's easy getting sedetary with too much WFH or office jobs in general.

I try to move some several times every day

@eyeq Drinking electrolytes during my workouts (like Liquid IV), drinking a shot of water mixed with beetroot powder for recovery, and doing some light stretches before bed is nice. ALSO, realizing there's no shame in modifying the exercises in my HIIT workouts to preserve my bad knees. I feel way better at the end of my workouts when I listen to my body more.

@eyeq Making sure to have days focused on active recovery, dynamic stretching & mobility. I used to skip that stuff, and it makes a huge difference. Taking the time to do a warm-up that is appropriate for the activity I’m about to do. It’s funny, but I really had to learn about how to prepare my body for exercise. Also the importance of just being active throughout the day.

@tnvolfan I'm by no means an expert, but I use this guided full body warm up as a start:
I also use guided workouts on YouTube that tend to have a short warm up and cool down as well. I'd say it's important to warm up everything, but especially if you're targeting certain areas then to warm up and stretch there.

@rodneys On this note, I added maybe 15 minutes of yoga+about 5 minutes of reflection/meditation to my nightly routine and it helps me sleep much better. I googled yoga for sleep for some poses to get me started.

Back