Skinny Obese?!? DEXA Surprise, 32f 5'9" 152lbs 44%BF!

@janellb Well I’m glad one of us wasn’t surprised, haha, I understand now about not cutting. From the replies I have decided to focus on building lean mass rather than cutting fat. As asked in other comments I’ll edit my post to reflect my history and updated plan. Thanks for your reply :)

@abosie On Christmas Day I was at a lunch and lots of people went in the pool afterwards. There was one woman there who is 28 or so, and she was just so skinny. I remembered in days gone by that that was exactly how I wanted to look (and for many years did look like that), but now I just think that she looked so weak and thin and would be utterly defenceless in any kind of physical struggle, be that with someone stronger or with any sort of illness. Like, if she happened to get the flu no only would she be totally wiped out, she'd be fucked for months and months because there's just nothing of her.

@acer621 I want to be able to get up from a chair at 90, lift objects without injury and not fall when walking when I'm old. Crazy how dangerous being weak is

@dawei7 So, I can totally identify. I had a bodpod scan done last year and found out I had a nearly-normal BMI and 40% body fat. I was, at the time, 30f, 152 lbs, 5'5". My RMR came out to be around 1100 calories.

Sarcopenic obesity was new to me, but I'm glad to now have a name for this term. So, thanks for that.

Anyway, I decided to cut for a while--which wasn't all my decision, but my endocrinologist told me that she wanted me at a BMI of 21. That means getting down to 125 lbs, so off I went. It took some trial and error to find the right cutting calories mixed with more resistance training to hopefully build/maintain what little muscle I could. I took a maintenance break during the holidays as well.

Anyway, I decided to cut to at least that and get another scan to see what my body fat percent was. I have read some stuff that says you should get to 20% body fat before bulking, but this calculator seems to think I'd need to get down to like 112 pounds to do that (if the body fat percent on my Aria scale is accurate... which it was close to my bodpod scan, so I'm going with it as pretty close). I'm not sure I can cut that long, to be honest--that would just be too much to handle, psychologically.

I might also cut down to maaaaybe 120 pounds or until the end of summer, whichever comes first (who wants to be gaining over the summer??? If I hit 120 before then, I'll maintain) and then bulk starting in the fall.

Regardless of what you decide to do, I think that you should calculate your TDEE and go off of that--not your RMR. Add resistance training/weight lifting ASAP to build/maintain muscle. You won't likely build much on a cut, but you also can't afford to lose what little you have.

When I was on my maintenance break during the holidays, I did see my body fat percent go down on my Aria scale even though my weight stayed the same--so you could also consider a recomp, where you eat at maintenance or just a little above that and lift to build muscle. This will make you smaller without changing the scale much, so if you're willing to give up on the scale for a little bit and be ok with slowly losing inches, this could be a good route for you.

@olufunmilola Thanks, I am going to consider a recomp I automatically jumped to bulk/cut because I hear that so often on hear that I thought it was necessary haha. I don’t care at all about the number on the scale, I just want to be healthier bodyfat to leanmass ratio and fit my clothes :) good luck to you , sounds like you have a great plan!

@olufunmilola I doubt you have Sarcopenic Obesity - that is a somewhat advanced disease state seen more in elderly people. As I told OP, more likely you are Medically Obese Normal Weight or TOFI

@jcob Sure. Very possible. I do know that treatment with corticosteroids can cause severe body composition changes--as the steroids can lead to muscle wasting and result in increased body fat.

@dawei7 Consider just eating at a moderate deficit (300-500 calories below TDEE) and lifting--you'll build muscle fueled by fat burned, drop some weight and lean out.

When you plateau you can then decide whether to cut further, maintain, or bulk.

@dawei7 Sorry to hear you had such a shocking experience, but I'm glad you are coming up with a plan.

It seems unlikely you have sarcopenic obesity - sarcopenia sounds rather frail and not indicative of someone who can do Judo, kettlebells, and walk 10k steps a day.

More likely you are TOFI. There is a lot of fat that can hide around the organs. You might consider talking to a health professional about it and any associated risks.

I don't think you necessarily need to reduce your scale number, especially since 125 lbs would be getting close to underweight on your frame. You need to focus on shifting your body ratio to less fat and more muscle, regardless of what the scale says. Technically, you are at a very healthy weight on the BMI chart but we can see from your DEXA that your muscle/fat ratio is not ideal.

Someone else can probably inform you better on your Cut/Bulk questions, so I won't address those.

@jcob Thanks, I guess you’re right I haven’t heard of TOFI so I’ll look into it, I’m not very strong but I’m certainly not frail!

@dawei7 Actually by definition you do have Sarcopenic obesity. The definition is appendicular lean mass divided by height (kg/m[sup]2)[/sup] being less than 5.67kg/m[sup]2.[/sup] With 8.5lbs of lean mass on your arms, and 25.2lbs of lean mass in your legs, you have 33.7lbs, or 15.28kg of appendicular lean mass. 15.28kg/(1.76m[sup]2)[/sup] = 4.93.

The cut-off for sarcopenic obesity in caucasian women is greater than 5.67 kg/m[sup]2,[/sup] and you're beneath that. But its a relatively easy fix with strength training!

I know, super late, but I just got my DEXA scan and I remembered reading about sarcopenic obesity in this thread. I'm getting ready to post mine tomorrow.

Back