Sorry guys, I can't wait..

@thriftfabulous You are my new hero! Holy moly you look so bad ass. I'm in month 2 and all things with the word "up" involved are a bit out of my reach. For now, that is! Thanks for the inspiration

@thriftfabulous Dude, I can't even describe how awesome that is. Well done.

If you don't mind my asking, did you have anything in terms of training frequency or changes you made to lifestyle that were big "breakthroughs" for you? I know I'm not the only one who struggles with getting ahead of myself in terms of weight loss and/or performance, and thought I'd ask.

@rohan Here is my starting story. That was written back in the summer/fall of 2015. Just starting was mostly my breakthrough, that and sticking with it. I was always athletic and could work out and eat well for a short period of time. But I would always get bored and fall off the wagon.

Once I was doing crossfit, I really no longer got bored with working out. There was always something more to accomplish whether it was a first pull up, then 5 pull ups, then HSPIS, then bar muscle up, then ring MU. There is always something to work towards. This has kept me in the gym and being in the gym everyday(well most days) has made me want to keep eating well, because eating well and losing the weight will make my "gym goals" easier to reach.

So really consistency was my real breakthrough. I could have gotten to a similar place lifestyle and weight wise with other means of fitness, if I could stick with it for as long as I did with crossfit.

As far as diet, I am far from perfect. But I try and be really good about 90% of the time, this means every meal is about 4-8oz of meat and 2-3 cups of vegetables with some healthy snacks in between(almonds or fruit). I still enjoy the 10%, a couple of cheat meals like pizza and burgers on the weekends. That 10% and not being too strict everyday (I have bbq or cheese with my meats) have kept me from burning out on my diet. I try to stay under 2500 calories a day when I'm not cheating. Its not a huge cut with the cheating, but it is enough to keep me from falling off the wagon and still kill off 1-2 pounds a week. I have found that slower is better and more sustainable.

Just remember this journey is not a sprint, its a marathon. It takes a long time to get people to the lifestyle and size they are, and it takes a long time to get back to a better place.

Sorry for how long this got. If you have any more questions or just want to chat about things for advice/motivation/inspiration, feel free to send me a message.

@thriftfabulous
Sorry for how long this got. If you have any more questions or just want to chat about things for advice/motivation/inspiration, feel free to send me a message.

It's cool; I'm just at a point where I'm getting frustrated with what seems like almost no progress to speak for after 2 years of 2-3 times a week. I started at 297. 2.5 years later, I'm at 291 this morning.

So I thought I'd ask and see if there was something specific that helped you break through the wall I seem to be hitting over and over and over again.

@rohan I go about 5-6 times a week. I started with 3x then after a few months bumped up to 4x, then after another few went to 5x. Now I can do 6x most weeks.

Anything keeping you from going more often?

You can do it with only exercise or only diet, but its a lot harder and slower when its not both. Is your diet good?

@thriftfabulous
Anything keeping you from going more often?

Generally my own dumb ass. This is something I'm trying to fix right now: trying to just get in and at least move when I'm sore from the previous days' workout. On occasion, work schedules get in the way, but it's mostly me using soreness as an excuse.

You can do it with only exercise or only diet, but its a lot harder and slower when its not both. Is your diet good?

I would classify my diet as "OK; but not great." I have done the easy stuff: eliminate going out as much as possible, kill even diet soda from the diet and increase water intake. I pay limited attention to things like macros. I battle with unhealthy food addictions daily.

I'm also a type 2 diabetic (which is what led me to trying to improve things) and that struggle is more real than I thought it would be when I started on this path.

@rohan Awesome! Well you are on the right track.

trying to just get in and at least move when I'm sore from the previous days' workout. On occasion, work schedules get in the way, but it's mostly me using soreness as an excuse

Just be consistent. Get in there as often as you can. Try and work yourself up to at least 5 times a week. I know it sounds ridiculous, but the more often you go the less sore you will be. Your muscles will get used to it instead of being shocked to death every time you go occasionally. when ever I am sore, I usually feel pretty good by the time warm ups are done.

I have done the easy stuff: eliminate going out as much as possible, kill even diet soda from the diet and increase water intake. I pay limited attention to things like macros.

That's good. the main thing is track your calories. For big guys, weight loss is simply math. If you take in more calories than you burn, you wont lose weight. If you eat under 2500 calories a day while working out, you WILL lose weight. Macros and all that other complicated crap is for the semi chubby people trying to tame their last 5-10%.

@bustinjustin Awesome! Thanks to the tip. I'm still not sure when I do or don't have the false grip. Do you have any tips/resources on getting the correct false grip? Maybe I will google it and do some research.

@thriftfabulous Hell yea man great work. I just got my first recently too, and I've been told while working on it to try to not bend my knees during the kip. Otherwise it looked great to me. I think it's mostly a feel thong that you get for muscle ups, if you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different explanations on how to do it. But everyone's body is different so no tips are 1 size fits all.

I guess next is trying to string multiple together, and then onto bar muscle up. Awesome job

@dawn16 Definitely, everyone body moves a little bit differently. Yep, I already have BMUs and I'm pretty consistent with those. So now I need to figure out how to do the rings consistently, I tried some again on Monday with no luck. Totally a timing thing for me. Then figure out how to string them together.

@thriftfabulous Congrats man. This achievements always feel great.

I did my first bar muscle up (kipping) on january 3rd and now I want to learn how to do them in the rings. Can you please describe or post links to the program / drills you used?

@rsf3612 I Made up my program from a few drills I saw in different videos. It consisted of 3 drills.
  1. As horizontal as I could get ring row. To build up the pulling strength.
  2. About a 45 degree ring row in through the transition ending in the dip position. To build strength and muscle memory in the turnover. I moved my feet farther under the rings and increase the angle as I got stronger. This is basically a weak mans strict muscle up.
  3. Laying on the ground holding the rings, I pulled my knees up to my chest then kipped up in the transition ending in the dip position.
The first week I did each of these drills 5 times nearly every day after class. Then the next week I did 5 reps of each for 2 sets after most classes. Then the next week I did 3 set of 5, then 3 set of 7, then 3 sets of 10. By the week I was doing 3 set of 10 every day, I could definitely tell that I had a lot more strength (I even noticed I could do a couple extra strict pull ups). After the 3x10 week I started trying to do a real one. It took 2 days of trying to get the timing/transition figured out.