Specialty Running Stores - Worth it?

bidadarikeseleo

Hi ladies!

So I want to get into running in the mornings more often and I know I need new shoes. I usually go for all black or mostly black Nike Air's of some kind. I wouldn't be doing any long distances anytime soon and I'd be running on the street and on the treadmill. I've been considering going to one of the fancy running stores that help you find the right fit like Fit2Run or FitNiche but I'm just not sure it's worth it. I've heard a lot of good things about Brooks and Asics and Brooks has an online fit test you can do. I just don't want to spend the big bucks and still be unhappy! My current shoes are really worn out otherwise I would probably just make due with them for now. Thoughts?

EDIT: I did it! I went Saturday to a local running store and they were so helpful. The girl immediately knew what shoes I would need. I ended up taking these home:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/...ml?dwvar_120208_color=528#q=ravenna+7&start=1

@bidadarikeseleo I go to my local running store and take advantage of their treadmills to test out the comfort of the shoes. However, they don't do their typical running analysis because I use orthotics, and therefore must wear neutral shoes. It becomes a question of fit and comfort.

@bidadarikeseleo Personally, my local running store fitted me into a pair of Brooks shoes that turned out to be very painful. I think this might be because I tried on most of the road running shoes in the store and found they didn't fit (too tight in the front and far too loose in the back) so they ended up putting me in pronation control shoes even though I slightly under pronate. I took them back and went to a big general sports store that has tons of different shoes and tried them on by myself until I found something that fit, which resulted in getting very comfortable shoes.

@bidadarikeseleo Go once, get fitted for a shoe brand/model that fits you perfectly. Then every time you need to replace, you can order the same perfect shoe online for less!

I must say, coughing up the extra $20-40 for Brooks is well worth it over the course of the year. Daily workouts/runs and no shin splints? For pennies a day, more than worth it.

@bidadarikeseleo Absolutely worth it! When I started C25K I was in like 10 year old Avias that weighed a ton. Read on some running forums about the gait tests and found a local running shop that offered them and I'm SO glad I did. I would never have picked the shoes I ended up wearing (and rebuying 10x in a row now) because they're ugly and I was gravitating more towards some cute Nikes. They also gave me a gigantic size that I would never have purchased (I wear an 8.5 in normal shoes, a 9.5 in these running shoes). Seeing my gait analyzed was also really cool! Also they did an arch test.

Even after getting the test I was reluctant to pay $115 for the ugly gigantic shoes. I was a very new runner and super self-conscious as it was. So I walked out with a 'compromise' pair of Nikes that were gigantic (to my mind) but cute. The owner of the shop told me to come back in 2 weeks if I wanted to trade them in for the shoes he recommended. 2 weeks later with my knees absolutely killing me, I slunk back in to the shop and guiltily handed over the Nikes and bought the Saucony Guides he'd recommended and I've never looked back. It's like they used my feet as the mold to make these shoes, they are that perfect. Thousands of miles later and I've still never found better shoes for me.

Re: returns: the owner of the shop says that they don't lose money from the returns - they send the shoes back to Nike (or wherever) with the customer's complaint and the shop gets refunded. Nike presumably donates the shoes.

The other thing is that after the initial $115 expense, I bought the next 4 or 5 pair online from running warehouse (.com) when the last year's model was on clearance for $55. I don't even pay attention to the color anymore, no longer really holding out hope for a 'cute' pair of Guides, they just don't make them cute. :)

tl;dr - worth it!!

@bidadarikeseleo Runners World just did an awesome podcast about this! https://goo.gl/yt6gYs It details the whole process you'll go through at a run specialty store, answers a bunch of common questions, plus the other two segments are great too! Going to the local running store for the first time allowed me to actually enjoy running for the first time, and totally changed my mindset when buying shoes. Any running store worth a damn will have knowledgeable staff, work with you on price, and have a great return policy.

Also, a quick few tips as someone who is biased because I work in a running store:

1) Bring your old shoes 2) Wear/bring the socks you run in 3) Bring orthotics if you happen to wear them 4) Go in with an open mind and ask any question that comes to mind!

Happy Trails!

@bidadarikeseleo Both my kids run, and going to the local store for a proper fitting has saved them so much pain. (Have dealt with general soreness, shin splints, heel spurs, I don't even know what else!)

In this case the store has a treadmill with a camera so they can film and analyze tread and make sure they get them into the right shoes. They also can make serious experienced based recommendations for spikes, inserts, socks, etc.

@bidadarikeseleo YEs totally worth it to find a specialty running store and get properly fitted. Also, like another said, you will probably go up a size in the shoes compared to what you normally wear. I've spent on average $100-$125 for a good pair of running shoes.

@bidadarikeseleo I've had mixed results. The first specialty running store (small locally owned) put me in the TOTAL OPPOSITE shoes that I currently use. Ended up developing some pretty bad ankle pain that forced me to stop running after 6 months of build up from less than a mile to only 3 miles!

The second store was much better, recommended by a runner friend. I've also seen a physical therapist for running related issues and she gave great input on shoes. If you have any runner buddies, ask them to recommend a store for starters.

There will always be a huge debate on shoes.....

Now I just buy my shoes online since I know what kind of feet I have and I'm more about improving my actual strength instead of relying on shoes to "fix" any issues.

@bidadarikeseleo It was definitely worth it for me. The first pair of shoes I got felt good on the dreadmill in the store and running around a short bit outside, but then after doing some longer runs (2-3 mi) the first week they felt off and were causing pain. No problem! They exchanged them for a different pair that was actually cheaper and have worked great. Then now that I know the size/style/brand that works, I've since bought them again 2 times on Amazon for cheaper. Previously trying to just use shoes that I thought felt ok and looked cute I got shin splints and then plantar fasciitis.

So while they may be a bit more upfront, their value is definitely worth it.

@bidadarikeseleo YES. Aside from the money I have to dish out, getting to buy a new pair of running shoes every 6-9 months depending on my milage is the best treat ever. I love going into the local store because the employees are obsessed with running and love helping you...another perk is that in Eugene, OR there's always some elite level marathoner or ex-olympian helping you try on your shoes. Now, I could never imagine walking into a big commercial store and just picking out my own shoes...

@bidadarikeseleo Totally worth finding a local store. They'll work with you and figure out how you actually run (overpronate, etc) and give you shoes accordingly. In my case, getting the right shoes for me (rather than the best reviewed shoes) immediately ended my knee pain while running. They also had me try on about 10 pairs before I found the "right" one. Worth spending a bit more (but not even that much, really) on the right shoes upfront than ending up injured and needing a doctor, physical therapist, etc.

@bidadarikeseleo Made a huge difference for me - I went from running being uncomfortable and even painful sometimes to looking forward to my run days and a lot of it had to do with proper fitting shoes.

@bidadarikeseleo YES! It is SO worth it.

I started running in shoes I picked out at the local shoe store, Finish Line, I believe. Anyway, all my life i've been a size 9 & they felt good so I got a size 9, however, once I finished the C25K program and was running consistently my feet were hurting & getting callused a lot. I went to a local running shoe store, where they actually fit you and watch you walk, etc. I ended up getting a size 10 and my feet have NEVER FELT BETTER in a pair of running shoes. It's made ALL the difference. AND, here's the kicker, shoes from Finish Line= $125... Shoes from specialty shop= $100.

10/10 would buy again.

Back