Squats: How far do you go down?

@betsy789 I barely touch parallel honestly I have long legs and it has nothing to do with my hip/ankle mobility (I’m literally a skater and a dancer) it just hurts to hit ATG. And I love working out I don’t want it to be… painful?!

I sit ATG when there aren’t any chairs I just don’t like to squat that way

@godeciplse We sound similar. Here is my squat. I had a hard time gripping the floor on this one. I know go barefoot and a wider stance. I think we go the same depth.

@velvety777 For some reason I have a lot of pain in the ATG/sitting position with a lot of weight on my back. It does a number on my knees and also cuts my weight which is frustrating if you’re trying to maximize weights/reps for hypertrophy.

I don’t really see a benefit from a hypertrophy standpoint in going below parallel.

@farmerdex
Horrible for powerlifters though

Training to full depth is beneficial for overall strength and mobility. Using full range of motion, especially during regular training, helps keep the body mobile. Tendons, ligaments, muscles, etc. It's functional. Picking items up off the ground, for example, may require a deeper than parallel squat.

Does a powerlifter need to perform heavy squats a2g, no. Should they include full range in warm up sets, absolutely. There are many powerlifters who advise this in their training.

@velvety777 Thank you for responding. I will try ass to grass. I will do light weight and see how it goes next week.

This is a video I took three weeks ago with my squat. My feet were in socks and the floor was too slippery. I corrected my stance and go barefoot now. I think it is 120 degrees but I think I can go a little lower if I do less weight.

Back