Started Walking - What’s Next?

@pell I recommend doing beginner* strength training with your dumbbells. HASFit has beginner videos in Youtube. I am a complete beginner too and their videos have been really easy to follow.

What I do is 1 day of full body, 1 day of lower body, rest day, 1 day of upper body, and then 1 day of cardio. For cardio, I recommend growwithjo. Then I rest on the weekends (only do walks). This has been working well for me.

@pell Being self conscious in a gym is natural at the start! But it eventually forms a habit and watching others pushes motivation not low self esteem! Find ur sweet spot, could be dance, weights, cardio should be done after weights to enhance fat burn. Start with walks but just cardio hardly burns calories but it’s great for cardiovascular health! Be mindful of portions! For a start I suggest for exactly one week first take your weight nd measurements (only this week) write down each thing which goes into your mouth including a nibble or a bite from others foods snacks etc! End of the week if you’re the same then your calories are maintained calories , if u gain a kg then you’re in calories surplus if you lost then continue the same way! Just for your knowledge it takes one week and seven thousand calories surplus to add one kg weight! A minor deficit will sustainably cause fat loss will take time but will be permanent! Remove oily foods, then eat on time , use intuition to eat. Don’t demonise any food! Make a list of foods you just can’t do without and those you really don’t care about! Now fit in those favourites by finding approximately the calories they have and substitute with other meals. Got example a dessert can be anything from 300 to 700 calories. a toast 90 extra portions of dal 250 calories so eat a bit less of dal and one less roti and divide the dessert into Two days and enjoy it properly. Also eat slowly mindfully!

@pell I walk on my lunch break (when I can because weather is an issue for me too). When I can’t walk I have gone up and down the stairs we have a few times. A co-worker was doing jumping jacks in her cubicle because she ate a piece of pizza that was bought for us. I know another person that did 10 squats every time they went to the bathroom. I also just learned that Netflix has workout videos, which may be a good way to find something you like to do. I just started at a health clinic and take semaglutide. They recommend these types of exercise “snacks”.

@pell You have to exit your comfort zone and stop identifying with laziness.

“I completely hate exercise, that’s just who I am.” No, that isn’t who you are. Because you’re out of shape, you get exhausted while exercising, you don’t feel good while exercising, etc. It makes you uncomfortable.

That doesn’t matter. That doesn’t define who you are as a person, and the discomfort certainly isn’t gonna kill you. You don’t have to be comfortable. If you hold on to this idea that you must stay in your comfort zone, then you will simply miss out on what life has to offer, because you’ll be too scared to do anything you aren’t confident in. This also means you’ll be too scared to get fit. So just exercise. If you hate every minute of it, then so be it. Just do it and ignore your discomfort. If you are consistent, it will quickly become very enjoyable. Remember you aren’t made to sit around all day, you have been conditioned to hate exercise.

Just try to get out of your comfort zone day by day, with small steps. At the end of your shower, turn the water cold. Order something adventurous at a restaurant. Do something spontaneous. Talk to a stranger. It may seem insignificant, but small things like that seriously build confidence. Focus all your energy into loving yourself and being confident, that’s all that truly matters. With confidence and self love, you will actually want to exercise. And meditate too, that’s really important. You got this! You’re a boss ass bitch, go get uncomfortable and get some shit done! Also congrats on your 17lb, it probably doesn’t seem like it now but that’s a ton of progress. You’re already taking steps in the right direction, i wish the best for you and your journey!

@pell I found that flexibility is just as important as strength and improved mine doing this challenge, and I am still doing it daily…

I also do this beginner workout at home with dumbbells…

@pell Lose weight in the kitchen - get fit in the gym. I have cleaned up my food choices - picking things as healthy as possibly opposed to picking things that are quick, easy, convenient because I am "busy" Water only to drink with an occasional green tea (plain) or plain black coffee. No more hot milks shakes for me (coffee cream and sugar). I do have a gym membership - which you don't like the gym because you think everyone is staring at you (psstttt they aren't). Plenty of things to do at home, tons of videos, hire a personal trainer to come in for a couple sessions if you need that. But it's going to be a combo of headspace, what you eat and drink, possibly when you eat and drink (especially if you are mindlessly taking bites here and there during the day), and movement.

@pell The best thing you can do to continue your weight loss is start to build muscle. A really good place to start to learn is MindPump Show on youtube, they have amazing information for almost anything you can think of and also have programs for beginners based on the equipment that you have.

@pell So here is what helped me.

First, small goals. Don’t think about where you want to be in a year, think about where you want to be in 7 days. It’s easier to commit to small things.

Second, take some before pics and update every week or month. It will help you see the progress you made and motivation vote you.

Third, dial in your nutrition and sleep. Don’t call it a diet, that’s a dirty work. Focus on good protein and limit sugar nd processed foods. Get sleep. I know it’s hard as a parent, but of that means you have to go to sleep earlier, like when they do, do it. I go to bed at 8:30 and get up at 4:30. It makes a difference.

Lastly, be kind to yourself.

Find some exercise you like and do it. The basement is great if that’s what you want.

@pell at my heaviest, I was 252 pounds and I am also 5'7. I started with walking my dog daily and then slowly increased how far I walked. when the weather was bad I enjoyed doing growwithjo workouts on YouTube (she also has an app as well I just didn't want to pay for it). then I worked on my late-night snacking and binge eating. I was really bad about eating breakfast and tended to eat the majority of my food in the evenings and then fall asleep. then I worked on cutting back on how much sugar and sweet processed food I was eating. every time I felt like I was plateauing I would work on my diet a little more or increase the intensity of my workouts