Struggling to workout these days. Any motivational tips?I am 33F

cecgreenstein

I’m not sure if I am allowed to post this here, I’ve been having trouble posting on the xx fitness one where my posts keep getting deleted - so apologies if I am in the wrong place.

I’ve been having a lot of trouble working out these days. I think it might be because of the summer/heat. I cannot explain it but I felt this way last summer and I don’t feel this way in the winter. I can’t seem to want to workout these days and it’s a struggle to force myself to finish the workout.

I feel as though I have gained some weight, I’m sure that is do to my lack of cardio this past year. I was primarily focusing on strength training and I am deeply regretting it because I look bulky with no definition. I have been trying to add cardio back into my routine (as well as yoga) but I’m struggling. I am trying to aim for 30 min. but some days I can’t even get through 10 min. I am working in the office 3 days a week, 2 are remote. My office days are harder since I often have headaches on those days and I don’t have a lot of time for long workouts. I’ve also had autoimmune issues in the past, so I was often under weight in a unhealthy way. I feel as though I have things under control but I often get fatigue easily. I’ve also been going through a difficult time at work these days and have been more stressed that normal. I’m hoping to resolve some of these issues this week.

Does anyone else have the same struggles in the summer? How do you motivate yourself?

If relevant, here is my routine:

Monday & Friday - P.volve/strength training for 30 minutes, elliptical for 30 minutes and currently doing a yoga challenge so the times vary.

Tuesday & Thursday - P.volve/trying to do the strength and burn choices for 30 minutes.

Wednesday - Yoga (time varies)

@cecgreenstein Weight gain will be more related to food intake than cardio. And motivation never hangs around unfortunately, have to rely on discipline. Though perhaps you could find ways to move your body that you enjoy more.

@cecgreenstein It sounds like a lot of this is food related. If you're barely eating, if you're feeling hungry even though you ate, if you're always tired and eating poorly etc....I suspect much of that is bc of food choices.

@cecgreenstein You feel like you barely eat because compared to many you likely do as a small person in height and weight your caloric needs can be much smaller then another person. Your TDEE even when exercising is going to be very small. And our world doesn't recognize this. You go to a restaurant, and you will get the same portion meal and people will expect you to eat it. Or a family dinner and the same thing happens. It is hard when the world tells you one thing and you need to actually do another. And that can cause a very unhealthy relationship with food creating eating disorders and body dysmorphia.

@cecgreenstein Motivation comes and goes. You have to be prepared for that to happen. You have to plan for it. The science is clear: having an accountability buddy makes you NINETY FIVE PERCENT more likely to hit your goals.

I used Fitness Pact (an app) to lose my weight and can’t say enough good things. That said, you don’t need an app.

Also, when you lose motivation, be kind to yourself!! It’s normal and it happens.

@cecgreenstein it allows you to create ‘fitness pacts’ with friends. and you can keep each other accountable. it’s been a game changer for me in terms of motivation.

hopefully works for you too :) u got this!

@cecgreenstein Maybe try to find someone to go with the gym with. That can help motivate you if you're going by yourself. I understand where you're coming from because i'm kind of having the same boat. There are days when I just don't feel like I need to be there but I just push on and go. It's very odd going there by yourself to the gym.

So maybe a buddy might help you.

@intothelightx It’s a good idea though I don’t really like working out with other people as I’m not a competitive person, would rather compete against myself and like to go at my own pace. It’s definitely food for thought though.

@cecgreenstein Just make it part of a routine. For some that means doing it first thing in the AM but I never liked that.

Some extra motivation could be preworkout. If you drink preworkout you’ll have to workout or feel like shit.

But once you establish a routine it becomes easier to maintain it. Force it for a month to just make it part of your life after that it is easier to keep the routine.

@cecgreenstein Some people may disagree, but without any fitness goals to train toward, working out five days a week is both unnecessary and unsustainable. If all you want is general fitness then three days of full body workouts with some cardio tacked on is sufficient. If you want to lose weight then that’ll be done in diet. But if you don’t have a goal to work toward like a race to run, weight number you want to be able to lift, yoga poses you want to be able to master, etc. then it’s hard to just go workout five days a week.

@joshua1988 This is actually a good point. It’s like a mental plateau. But I suppose my number one reason would be that it helps my anxiety and number two reason would be for general health and fitness.

@cecgreenstein If that’s the case, maybe try and find an active hobby. Can be hard with the best, but if you have the money maybe get a membership to a rock climbing gym, see if there’s an indoor pickleball league, or an indoor volleyball league. You could also sign up for a 5k with a time goal and use that as motivation to get up early and get your workout in before the heat.

For the first few years I knew my wife it was impossible to get her to stick with anything workout related but once we started finding physical activities she enjoyed things just fell into place and she’s in the best shape she’s ever been in.

@cecgreenstein I no longer worry about a specific routine or that I have to do X on any given day. I just do things that I want to do. To me doing the same routine every other day would just be incredibly boring. So on any given day I don't have a plan and even if I do I just change it if I feel like it. So if I feel like running I run or if I feel like going for a long hike I do that. Getting locked into something will also make you crazy when you can't do it. You think if you miss that one session your progress will disappear. You see it on here with people going on vacation freaking out that they aren't going to do their routine for 7 days. Meanwhile I took 4 months off last winter without doing a single hard workout and didn't gain a pound and I am 47. Took me 3 weeks in the spring for my running times to get back to what they were before I stopped. In my experience people fixate far too much the details and not really the bigger picture things.

Back