Study: Back Squat produces better glute growth than hip thrust

mrkruback

An interesting study, which appears to be well-designed. Each group was composed of 12 well-trained women.

“Abstract​

The study compared the effects of back squat (BS) and hip thrust (HT) exercises on muscle strength and hypertrophy in well-trained women. Twenty-two participants were divided in two groups: BS group (n=12, 26.4±1.32 years, 171.8±3.79 cm, and 69.5±4.9 kg) performed the BS exercise and HT group (n=10, 27.5±1.42 years, 170.8±4.4 cm, 67.5±4.7 kg) performed the HT exercise. Training was performed for 12 weeks. Before and after the training period, participants were assessed for quadriceps femoris and gluteus maximus muscle thickness (MT) and 1 repetition maximum (1RM) test on the BS and HT. Both groups significantly increased hip extensors MT and HT 1RM; however, the improvements in BS group were higher than in HT group on quadriceps femoris (12.2% for BS and 2% for HT, P

@mrkruback This study is by M. Barbalho who has a very shady reputation in the scientific community, to say the least.

In fact, a bunch of highly respected researchers became increasingly suspicious about Barbalho's studies and eventually published this white paper.

As a result of this, several journals have since retracted some of Barbalho's studies (like this, this and this) and many more are under investigation and might be retracted in the future.

Among the highly suspicious studies is the one which we are discussing here.

You can find all the details in this excellent article as to why studies by Barbalho should at least be taken with a huge grain of salt.

@mrkruback I have a torn meniscus I think, so I can't do barbell back squats anymore. I do heavy hip thrusts and my butt hasn't gone flat,despite having a desk job. I just walk for my quads.

@mrkruback I think part of the reason that people favor hip thrusts over squats is that it’s easier to activate glutes during thrusts, and easier to have quad dominance with squats. If you’re well trained, obviously the results will be different.

Also, these are deep squats. What about parallel squats vs hip thrusts? Loads of people can’t go into deep squats for various reasons.

@ortma That’s just not true. Small samples can be perfectly decent, as long as they’re well chosen and the variable being measured doesn’t have a large variation.

For example, if I had a study to see if adults are on average taller than toddlers, a sample size of 20 would be more than enough to detect a difference.

@mrkruback I think this is also the study that the rightfully disgraced asshole known as Bret Contreras essentially refused to recognize; making a fool out of himself on various social media platforms.

@dawn16 I can. When it’s a white guy especially, most people have a keen ability to separate the skill/talent/knowledge (even if it’s mediocre, as it is in this case), from the shitty character and actions of the person. I doubt he’ll see any significant or long term loss in business, following, etc.

@sabrina_ I’m kind of behind on all this ... Is this about the post a few days ago on r/strongcurves about him being abusive to someone he was with (sohee Lee)? Or something else?

@brad94 Yeah, he’d been getting dragged before that for saying some dumb shit, and being a general sleaze bag, and then that hit along with it.

I came across a bunch of his tips/other writing early on in strength training and was just immediately turned off. Over the years I’ve had friends/acquaintances who work in the business on a large enough scale to have had an interaction/interactions with him have some not so great things to say about the experience(s).

The bottom line is his programming isn’t great or special, the way he speaks about women is gross, he’s full of shit he can’t back up vs facts, and it appears he isn’t a great person.

@sabrina_ I agree that he’s a shitty person - I bought Sohee’s book immediately to support her (it’s great), but he cites lots of scientific studies and experiments in his work. He backs up what he says, and does a lot of research.

Unrelated to that, but I’m not super impressed by a study of 22 people who already work out a lot.

@dartmanii He also ignores research that doesn’t support his philosophy, which is not to say that this is the best study. The studies he uses also aren’t always the best.

Someone can site scientific studies and still not be evidence based. He often falls into that category.

An example of this: at my old job, I had a co-worker who is a believer in naturopathy. She is also an anti-vaxxer. She told me that vitamin d was more effective than the flu vaccine. I told her she was full of shit. She forwarded me a real study that she read and thought fully supported what she was saying. It didn’t. It said that people who had adequate vitamin D levels and did not get a vaccine were less likely to get the flu than adults who were severely deficient in vitamin D who did. It did not compare people who were all at accepted adequate levels of vitamin D, where some were given a flu shot, some we not, and some got a placebo. It did not make mention of the other factors that could contribute to vitamin D deficiency that are a result of poorer health in other areas. It did not say having higher than adequate range vitamin D made immunity better than having just adequate range, or compare normal range people who had gotten the vaccine with a control and an unvaccinated higher than normal/healthy range vitamin D group. It just said having adequate vitamin D levels correlated to having a lower risk of flu/healthier immune system, when compared to vaccinated individuals who were severely deficient.

I told her this and also forwarded a couple other studies looking at the issue. It didn’t change her mind, why? Because she held her belief as a value and part of who she is (like some people do with their training philosophy and ideology, especially when they based their career/got rich off of it and worry that taking in new information and admitting they need to update their approach will hurt their brand), she disregarded my explanation of the research she had presented, and decided not to consider the evidence in the other studies.

There are plenty of people with credentials and science training and letters after their name who this. There are MDs who still think deadlifting destroys your back, do not even have basic updated knowledge of nutrition, and warn against exercise/resistance training during pregnancy. There are physical therapists, chiropractors, orthopedists, etc., all using bias and/or outdated/disproven or disputed information to give recommendations. This is a common thing.

For me, if someone is held fast in their knowledge, to the point where it becomes a mantra or belief.... yeah, that ‘ain’t good.

@mrkruback I mostly missed it too. I saw the meme sites and few of the other science based people/groups make mention of it, but I’ve never thought highly of the guy, so I mostly just rolled my eyes and said “figures”.