Study: Back Squat produces better glute growth than hip thrust

@qork Do you have any tips/resources for hip thrusts with bands? I’ve found some resources online, but some first tips would be awesome 🙂

@oleaster There are two versions; using the band instead of a barbell, or using the barbell, plus pressing out against a band around your knees.

Girls Gone Strong is always my go-to resource:

Hip thrust with bands as resistance

Hip thrust with knees banded

You can also combine the two. The most effective glute exercise I’ve ever used was a light barbell hip thrust with a band around my knees. Press up under control, pause at the top and press out against the band one to three times, lower under control. That’s one rep. It’s called “barbell hip thrust with band abduction,” and it’s brutally efficient at working your glutes, using barbell, dumbbell, or bodyweight. I saw it on Girls Gone Strong, but can’t find it now. It was the hip thrust version of this barbell glute bridge.

@mrkruback Wow thank you so much, this is great!!
I saved your comment and I can’t wait to try your recommendations as soon as I find some bands.

If you don’t mind, one more question: what bands do you use/recommend? I’m struggling to find good bands that aren’t flimsy 😅

@oleaster I use pull up assist bands, like these. They aren’t made for this purpose; I just triple-loop one around my knees. I like these, instead of the dedicated, short, broad booty bands, because they’re multi-purpose—pull ups, dips, and warm ups.

The brand I bought was UPOWEX, through an Amazon lightning deal, and I don’t see them available right now. Bands have very much become a commodity item. Do check the reviews, to be sure the production quality is good, but otherwise, there isn’t much to differentiate them.

@qork It works for a lot of people. However, Hip thrusts don’t do a lot for me and cable pull throughs plus squats have made the real difference. I’ve been down voted for even saying it. Some people are cultish about hip thrusts. Like it is ”The one and only”!!!

@scotty85 Correct.....but the hip thrust advocates vote down or comment against any comment that favors anything but hip thrusts. I’ve have slowly realized its nothing more than an isolation exercise. I do hip thrusts and will continue to them. However it being treated like one of the king of exercises, like it is ”the one and only” in certain circles, I just don’t believe it. Frankly I’m tired of it.

@cybersaint When I started incorporating kettlebell swings, I noticed pretty significant glute gains! I didn't see nearly as much change from hip thrusts. I think if hip thrusts work for someone, great, but they're by no means the end all be all of glute exercises and I'm so tired of seeing it on Instagram haha.

@rovanpenny If you like being choked, the front squat is for you. /s

Start really light if you want to try it, it takes some getting used to and you might need to work on flexibility to get your shoulders up high enough. The fronts of your shoulders (front delts) might get sore from the weight of the bar there at first too.

@jsmithcavs I'm sure it won't take more than getting used to back squats was for me, since I had a weirdly hard time with getting my arms to comfortably reach around to the bar while keeping it at an appropriate position. I'm also hopefully that front squats will help with my posture.

@mrkruback I don't think anybody has really ever questioned the efficacy of the squat versus the hip thrust as far as growth is concerned. The trend toward favoring the hip thrust is because you get the glute activation and growth without including the other muscle groups, quads specifically.

Edit: personally, I'm more for an all of the above approach. Squats? Front squats? Hip thrusts? Deads? RDLs? Power cleans? Lemme have it. They all help each other.