Study: Back Squat produces better glute growth than hip thrust

@mrkruback Read the whole study:

Key factors

-Full ROM squats, which created more eccentric stretch on the hip extensors (stretch-mediated hypertrophy) than the hip thrusts -- most people I see back squat heavy in the gym don't reach this ROM. The glutes respond very well to stretch-mediated hypertrophy, just need to go deep enough in squatting

-It was not perfectly volume-matched, and the information on total volume achieved is not given. This was likely a small difference, but still something I'd like to see.

-"Ultrasound gives only an estimated Muscle Thickness (MT) in a specific point, and previous studies have shown considerable inter- and intramuscular differences in training-induced hypertrophy [31]. Therefore, its results cannot precisely define hypertrophy of the whole muscle."
The Glute Max has multiple regions (some researchers say 2, some say 3). These regions are different in regards to action at the hip and typically have different fiber types as a result.

This study did not look to see how each movement affected each region. i.e. this study did not assess volume of the muscle entirely, just thickness at one specific point.

-And last point, we are all different and will respond differently. Try it yourself before taking this research as absolute truth.

@mrkruback Yes! I've seen this recently and honestly it explains my glute development because I squat a lot lol. I also do hip thrusts but as an accessory, once a week at best. My hips used to be the flattest, pancakey-est hips and even though they're still a work in progress they got much rounder and much less saggy over time. I always had a ton of squats in my programs, even when just doing DB stuff at home.

@mrkruback This is all well and good, but nothing has grown my ass like ice skating for 10 hours/wk lol

I did power lifting for about 4-5 years, and I had significant glute growth figure skating for the past year.

@lauraallison48 No not if you’re skating properly, way more outer hips and glutes. My quads are only really sore if I spend my entire session doing jumps. But basic skating is way more abs and glutes and hamstrings even.

@mrkruback This study had such a small sample size. I would have also liked to see how the findings could be transferred to regular people rather than well-trained individuals/professional lifters. IIRC the average knee flexion was 140 degrees...mate, that's a bloody deep squat!

Personally, I don't like back squats because the spinal compression aggravates some old issues but every other variation is great. I especially like zercher, goblet and landmine variations because you can make it less quad dominant by going deep and the glutes are most activated at the very bottom of a squat.

Front squats are amazing too, they always feel so much more stable and comfortable to me than back squats.

Agreed on front squats! I have scoliosis and the bar has never felt stable on my back because of that. After learning front squats I feel much more balanced. However front squats are more quad dominant for me so I need to supplement with more glute work

@dawn16
Front squats are amazing too, they always feel so much more stable and comfortable to me than back squats.

Oh man. You must be a mutant (please note the absolute jest in my tone). Front squats are the absolute devil for me and make me feel so awkward. I usually only do them when I've got recent ink on my back. But glad they're comfy for you!

Separately, I agree with you on your variations if you're dealing with spine compression issues form. Back squats can definitely aggravate those issues regardless of how good your form is.

@mrkruback I think the “well-trained” women is a big part of this here. It may take a lot of training for some women to start activating their glutes properly during squats.

That and what others have said about people wanting a big butt without big quads.

Anecdotally though, I’d say the results of this study do match my personal experience. Butt is often quite sore after squatting. And I do feel like I’ve gained butt muscle even though I rarely if ever hip thrust.

@dawn16 I agree; the "well-trained women" sample size is definitely more limited. It took me about a year of squatting to really understand glute activation for that movement. Now I definitely feel sore after squats alone, but if I'm being honest with myself I don't think I'd have gotten to that point of understanding without also doing hip thrusts every week.

@chandrika It's the same for me! I recently dropped hip thrusts from my squat day, but I'm actually getting more glute doms from before, as I think my glutes are finally activating during squats. It's great!