Suggestions for easy healthy meals or just basic healthier survival

How do you all lower your calories or at least make healthier choices when you’re low on energy/health?? My weight has gone way up since a bit before Christmas, because of binging/mcdonalds/alcohol to manage massive pain. I saw a doctor for the pain in October and it was dismissed and nothing showed up in X-rays. It impacts me daily and exercise is nonexistent. I had C-19 over Christmas and have been sick with colds/respiratory issues since then. I’ve had my period since Dec. 14. I’m sleeping 3 hours in the afternoon but not well at night. I feel absolutely awful. I have a dr appt booked for Monday to ask about all the things, but wow I need to make some changes at home too. I live mostly off of simple carbs. Sensory issues make veggies really difficult to get in. I also am a parent to a special needs kid and lately have been stressed to the max which is draining me as well. I feel absolutely miserable physically, but it seems overwhelming to find the energy to meal prep and eat healthier and exercise when I’m currently exhausted just existing and trying to survive.

Edit for update: got diagnosed with PCOS and need to go for an ultrasound to make sure it isn’t a ruptured cyst. Love that for me.

@heartshapedglass Keep it simple as hell. The microwave and frozen foods are your friends. Air fry some frozen grilled chicken strips (100 cals), microwave an instant rice cup (200 cals), microwave some frozen broccoli (30 cals) put it in a bowl and throw some G Hughes sauce on top (10 cals). Also wraps are a great option. Sandwiches? Oatmeal!

@heartshapedglass I find that finely (I mean FINELY) dice veggies, they essentially disappear. If you only have limited energy, I’d chop some veggies down, mix them in a container, and sprinkle them into whatever you’re eating. The fluffy part of broccoli, grated carrots, itty bitty pieces of bell pepper… they can be tossed into eggs, soups, anything cheesy and you won’t realize they’re there.

There are tons of healthy, pre-made foods you can get at the store too— chicken to toss in the oven, premade sides, hearty soups. I’d load up on those and limit your actual cooking to one meal per day. Egg salad or tuna salad on toast don’t require cooking. Neither do protein bars, premade salads, etc. Those are good things to keep on hand. You could even just pick up bits to snack on. A diverse “snack plate” is perfectly fine for dinner if you quite literally just need to throw something together. Just make sure you are eating well— not perfect, just well! If your body is under stress, calories are important and they should be as wholesome as possible.

Back