Taller ladies with very long femurs - Does Squatting Ever Get Easier?

I am relatively new to the gym and I’m working on being able to squat…period. For context, I’m 175 cm and my femur is deadass over 50 cm long, if you include all the way to my hip it’s basically two third of my height.

After about two months I’m at least at a point where my first thought isn’t “bend at the knees” and I can at least perform the right general movement.

But I am struggling hard to get any depth at all or figure out the right form. I think it’s because I’m about 70% leg and most of that is femur. I’d have to be ass to grass in a big way to even really be getting just below parrallel, that’s how long my femurs are.

I’m working with a trainer but I don’t think she fully appreciates that squats can be very dependent on anatomy. She doesn’t want my knees moving forward at all, but I feel they kind of need to or I literally cannot do a squat. Similarily, to get even close to parallel I need a significant forward lean which I know is supposedly actually ok but I’m worried I’m going to fuck up my back. When I watch myself in the mirror I get really discouraged because I’m so far from parrallell, and yet any more depth makes me lose balance without pushing my knees forward + leaning forward + praying to god.

Does anyone have any stories on how they regressed their squat with a similar anatomy to eventually progress? I feel doomed to never be able to squat and I’m getting frustrated that my trainer doesn’t seem to realise my skeleton is what is it and I think she’s teaching me bad habits, or at least form that doesn’t apply to my height. I’m feeling so discouraged and like I’ll never squat properly.

Right now I’m either squatting with zero weight or a light goblet and I’ve been told to stand quite wide, and push my knees out rather than forward.

Also, for those of us who have very long femurs and will never be able to get strong depth, is the squat something that has as much utility (considering injury potential) or should we train our lower in other ways instead?

@faithfulsteward7 Hey, Hi! Hello! Tall-person-with-long-legs-that-squats-and-is-a-PT-Here!

Heya! So, I'm 5'11, my partner is 6'1, and my legs go to his belly button: I have long legs, and squatting with depth is something I've had to work so damn hard for. AND I have a few suggestions:

First, Squat shoes, with a heel lift, are worth the investment. Alternatively, plates under your heels is a 'quick fix'.

"Sure, but what's that supposed to even do?" It decreases the range of motion your ankle has to go through to move your knees forward-and-out over your toes (gasp! no, but really, as long as your knees are pointing in the same direction as your toes, you're a-okay). Which brings me to my second, more annoying 'fix':

Mobility work: It's boring and annoying, but it will have you moving well for the rest of your life. And that's what it's all about, right? Specifically with barbell squats, you're going to be looking at ankle, hip, and upper back mobility. My favourite way to "unlock" my ankle, is to anchor a band to a solid surface, and loop it over my ankle. Then step forward to create tension in the band behind you against the front of your ankle. Kneel, and stretch your calf by leaning forward with pressure on your knee, as you track your knee over your toes. (I hope that makes sense.). For my hips- bring the same band up to your hip crease, and do a low lunge stretch with the band pulled back and out from your front leg/hip. rock and hang out in that stretched position, and then sit back, so the front leg is straight and you can stretch your hamstrings/ back of your leg.)- both sides. always. of course.

For the upper back- honestly, foam rolling and cracking my upper back is one off my favourite joys. So that. But also, spending time on the foam roller, arms overhead back towards the floor- 'feeling the stretch'. Additionally, you can 'hang out' or sit under the barbell and reach up to push your chest forward to "open up" your chest. ALL Hold a plate or kettle bell close to your body, in a low squat position. Focus on pushing your knees out, keeping your core strong and upper back engaged to hold you upright.

And finally. Practice. Squats are a complex movement, and a skill (strength is a skill too, but that's a different thing). Building time and practice greasing the groove of a good squat pattern will serve you well as time goes on. You'll get stronger over time, so long as you trust the process. Lift heavy. Recover. Repeat.

Everyone's squat will look different, and it's taken experimenting to figure it out for myself.MY PERSONAL SQUAT I learned my stance can be a lot closer than I was told (Jump as powerfully as you can- the stance you chose to do that- that's your squat and deadlift stance). I also put my hips back (just a little) before I squat DOWN. Think, pushing your knees forward and out of the damn way as your legs/ butt comes down. I aim for my torso to stay in the same position the whole way down. Don't try to contort your back to "stay upright": brace your core, keep your back tight and your gaze fixed. My squat has gone from 100lb to 203lb in the last 18 months since coming back after a hiatus- with good depth and a few comments of good form from the "gym dads" (which is the highest complement, honestly).

Also, if your trainer isn't working for you- you deserve to change trainer. Like, it's your money, your health and safety, and your right to evidence based and well informed fitness advice when you're paying a Personal Trainer.

HOWEVER YOU CAN COMPLETELY DISREGARD ALLLLLLL OF THE ABOVE IF YOU DECIDE SQUATTING ISN'T FOR YOU. Because after all, movement should be enjoyable, and you can build muscle, get stronger, and gain all the benefits of strength training, even if you never squat again. You can deadlift, lunge, hipthrust, and leg press your way to lower body strength. Because it's your body, and you get to choose what to do with it.

@rodron I agree!! I’ve been a power lifter for 8yrs I’m 5,4 and my legs to my hip bone are 38in lol I also shoot my hips back if I don’t I notice when I’m coming up I shoot them back and it leaves me in an awkward hinge position! Also I agree with the shoes. Great advice 💯

@rodron This was very helpful, thank you!

How often do you recommend mobility work? It’s so time consuming but I know it’s necessary. I worked on ankle flexing ans it made a huge diff, I was doing it every day. But as soon as I stopped it’s back to what it was..

@jaxadaisy It can totally be like that with mobility! And sometimes, it's just got to be part of your warm up. I personally do it Almost daily-- and Whilst that sounds like a huge commitment- here me out:

My training sessions at the moment include some form of 'squat' 4-5 days a week (within the Olympic and Power lifts)- My 'warm up' is a kneeling hip flexor stretch kneeling on one knee, really squeezing your butt and pushing your hips forward- reach up with the arm on the same side as the knee that's down. It should be a stretch all the way up that side of the body- I italicised the active parts to remind you that mobility is active not passive.

It's about being able to move through a range of motion with control and intent (the difference between kicking your leg high, and slowly/ with control raising your leg high).

From there (5-30 sec, depending on the day) move into a low lunge trying to keep your hips facing the same way, and pushing your front foot into the ground, with your knee tracking forward and out (exactly the same as in a squat, or as described with the banded moves- which you can sub for this- and again-10-30 seconds a side).

Then a couple cat cows or foam roll my upper back real quick. All of this takes ''maybe" 5 minutes. Because I find it boring and mundane- like everyone else. Then one set with the bar, and 2-4 sets ramping up to my actual working sets.

(Once a week or so I'll spend a good 10-20 minutes really slowing down and focusing on fully stretching, but not as part of a warm up/ usually as a cool down)

For sure, you could spend more time, and might want to explore it as something you do to help wind down before bed or whatever, but in terms of specifically targeting the movement you want to do- learning to tense and move your muscles through a controlled range of motion, whilst keeping track or you breath/ stabilising your core is the foundation to moving well.

And slowly with practice we get there.

It doesn't have to take 30 minutes, or be a pain in the arse- It can be 3-5 minutes at the start of your lifting focusing or getting your joints moving the way you want them to. Which is kinda what a warm up is supposed to do anyway? (and a good opportunity to check in with how your're feeling - tighter than usual? the same or different on each side? Is it a different joint? are you feeling more tired or energised? anyway, that's another post)

But: a warm up should not be over taxing, or fatigue inducing; it's getting you primed to perform.

Happy training

@rodron Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! Makes total sense.

I’m doing 10 min mobility with a workout program but it’s more total body where I know the hips and ankles are my biggest hurdle. I’ve also been practicing yoga multiple times a week which also helps somewhat and is just so enjoyable for me.
I’m going to use your suggestions and start getting serious about it!

@rodron I love that you mentioned that it’s okay not to squat. I don’t have OP’s problem, but arthritis in my back and hips that, for whatever reason, makes it near impossible to have good form on traditional barbell squats. So, I often don’t even bother. I do BSS and lunges and deadlifts and leg press. But I feel like people think I’m crazy when I say that lmaoooo.

@zahara Of Course!! People can have their opinions: that's a Them problem. But You get to choose how to move Your body, and no one movement is going to make or break your fitness- if that's something you're working towards. Movement is not a moral obligation, and all of it is neutral (expect the stuff that you're forced to do in front of your peers in intermediate/early high school- that is an abhorrent, absurd and bizarre torture to inflict on tween-agers and a moral indictment on teachers )

But yeah, you're not crazy, you're a bad-ass because you can actually respond to your body with self awareness. A skill far too many are deprived of

@faithfulsteward7 I’m 5’10 long everywhere and I gave up squating a long time ago. It never worked with me.

I do the leg press. Bulgarian split squats. Lunges and single leg dead lifts.

I hit everything very well and grow everything super well… butt and thighs are where I want them…. All without hurting myself with the overhype squat.

End of rant.

@faithfulsteward7 Squatting can indeed be challenging for taller individuals, especially those with long femurs. Your experience is not uncommon, and there are ways to adjust your form and approach to make squats more effective and comfortable for your body type!

@faithfulsteward7 Anyone else whip out a tape measure to see how long their femurs are? I always thought I had abnormally long legs compared to my torso at first glance. But I’m 165cm tall and my femur is 40cm. Optical illusion maybe?

@faithfulsteward7 Yes! I also have long femurs. There is a good chance your knees will need to be over your toes. You may want to squat with your heels elevated on a plate even and work on ankle mobility.

I regressed all the way back to just using the bar only and really focusing on form. Also make sure you are engaging your core. Like many have said, squat university videos are free and have a ton of info on this!

@faithfulsteward7 Yes, yes it does. It takes time and patience.

You may wish to look into the blog at Squat University (guy is a DPT and has some really great content), also Knees Over Toes youtuber, guy is a bit intense but has some solid exercises. I am over 6 feet tall and have had moderate success just educating myself, practicing, and putting in the time with a loaded (and unloaded at first) bar. You might like to try box squats, to give yourself some confidence, or use a PVC pipe to simulate a barbell back squat. Find a trainer that has power lifting experience (and maybe a physical therapist, if you find you have mobility issues that are tricky). Some of my favorite trainers have been crossfit coaches and power lifting athletes, who for some reason are incredibly patient and encouraging.

Good luck.

@faithfulsteward7 I like hip thrusts more than squats but you don’t have to go ass to grass. Every body is different. My long legs and my body don’t like and I don’t know if they could do low ass to grass squats. I do low bar squats and I don’t get my ass all the way down. I used to like sumo squats a lot. I also prefer RDLs, I never do regular dead’s. I still have very strong legs and a nice butt. Do the variations that work for you.