Technique Thursday - Ring Dips

davecb

Last week's Technique Thursday on Skin the Cats by /@rfoobs

All previous Technique Thursdays

This week's Technique Thursday is on Ring Dips.

You should have a solid dip on parallel bars first, as well as a good support position with RTO. This is a solid progression from PB dips and is useful if you want to do ring muscle ups (as half the movement is a deep dip.)

Resources:
Progressions:
  • Ring Dip
  • RTO Dip - You can start to lean the body forward to further progress this, essentially getting closer to a Maltese.
  • Bulgarian Dips
  • L-sit Ring Dip - You can do this in most any L-sit variation (tuck, V, etc) but it's freaking hard
Technique and Cues:
  • Start and finish with the rings turned out the and the elbows locked, anything less is a partial rep and a weak position.
  • Do not hunch the back over to make the push more horizontal. You should aim to be as long through the torso as possible.
  • Do not arch back to get back up either. Keep the abdominals on and try to remain rigid through the torso.
  • Keep the hands close, letting the hands move away from the centre will make this action much harder (i.e the Bulgarian dip). Think about trying to squeeze the rings together as you push back up, this will also get the chest involved more.
  • The shoulders should raise towards your ears as you elbows move higher than your shoulders, and then depress again as you push back up.
Discussion Questions:
  • Any good pictures, videos or resources?
  • What is your experience with this exercise?
  • What progression got you there?
  • What are you best cues?
  • Things to avoid?

@davecb I was going to say that Concept Wednesday was my favorite weekly post, but not I think it might be Technique Thursday. Either way, awesome very helpful stuff. Thanks!

@davecb
What progression got you there?

I remember the first time I started doing ring dips, I had a strong RTO Support, but ring dips were very shaky and difficult. I decided to regress and make a goal of achieving 5x15 parallel bar dips before moving onto the ring dips. I got to 5x12 and said enough is enough and transitioned to ring dips and was good to go ever since!

What is your experience with this exercise?

I always forced myself to turn the rings out (RTO) at the top of each rep and for a long time it felt like it made the exercise extremely more difficult. I sometimes felt like that simple turn out at the top became the hardest part of the whole move toward the end! I really badly wanted to not do it, but I always stuck with it, and now, it actually doesn't feel like it's difficult anymore, yay! The fruits of my labor have paid off.

Things to avoid?

People tend to work ring dips without having any RTO support practice. Please don't neglect that part of the equation.

One thing I will say that, I much prefer the RTO Dip progression rather than the L-Dip progression that the beginner routine suggests. They're both difficult, but I just like how RTO dips feel.

@dawn16 You should be able to hold it for a few seconds at least, otherwise you won't be able to find the top position of the dip for reps. Mastering RTO support might be 3x60s, which is another kettle of fish.

@davecb Do you guys have any tips how to avoid rubbing against the straps when doing ring dips? It's irritating and is the only reason I don't do those although I'd love to.

@laura06
My wrists are locked

No that's not what I was talking about. People tend to flex their wrist when they fatigue as a compensation. This brings the strap and ring against the forearm during the dip causing it to rub.

I was talking about rubbing the upper arm against the straps. Maybe a wider dip will help?

I will also try RTO, thanks.

No... I said to perform RTO because makes it so your forearms won't rub. It places the strap behind your arm instead of in the front where it will rub.

Apparently I did a bad job of explaining. Thus,
  • Focus on RTO so your arms won't rub
  • Focus on not flexing your wrists when you get tired so your arms won't rub

@davecb
Keep the hands close, letting the hands move away from the centre will make this action much harder (i.e the Bulgarian dip).

Is that ok if you want to make it harder though? What does it change as far as muscle recruitment? Or is it always better just to add weight to increase difficulty?

@caitlinanne It's fine if you're trying to train a wide ring dip or Bulgarian dip (elbows staying in same plane as shoulders and not traveling backwards), not so good if you're trying to do regular ring dips.

Back