Technique Thursday - Ring Dips

@davecb L-sit ring dips feel easier to me than regular ring dips. I usually finish off my ring dips with these after I start to lose good form on the regular. L-sit pull-ups also felt easier to me earlier in the pull-up progression. I wonder if this is a sign of some kind of imbalance or something?

@joe_raymond
I wonder if this is a sign of some kind of imbalance or something?

Maybe. Does your L-sit maintain level legs the whole time? Most people say they do a L-sit ring dip but their legs dip during the dip which makes it much easier.

If you can do it that way that may mean you're used to flaring the elbows more than keeping them tucked and have strength to match. Start working more elbow tucked/elbows in pushing strength.

@deborah123 I think they do dip a bit, but I'll have to film myself to see how much next time. I try to be mindful of not flaring the elbows in all of my movements, but I'll pay extra attention next time. Thanks!

@hailsatan666 Will be difficult to get the full effect because of the TRX pivot point drawing the straps tight against your arms. If you can find a way to keep the straps shoulder width apart where they are attached with some kind of spacer, then you'd be close.

Found this which shows you how the TRX might scrunch you into an awkward position, though he makes the most of it. . .

@davecb I have rings and do dips on them regularly.
This is me doing a set with a 20kg (45lb) weight vest [thats all it holds].
It felt like i was doing them slowly & controlled, but the vid shows otherwise!
I find the exercise great, I always liked normal dips, but once i got the home gym, i only had room for the rings!

Back