Thanks to you guys I went for my first weight lifting session last night!

And I LOVED IT.

Got passed the grunting heaving men, found my spot and got on with my first ever lower body day. I had a confidence boost before going in by following Shelley Darlington https://instagram.com/shelleydarlington?igshid=y55pcqxomkvy (her IG and YouTube channels are fantastic), then loaded my Strong app (it’s the best thing), and here is what I did:

4 x sets of goblet squats with dumbbell
7.5kg 15 reps

4 x sets of hip thrusts with barbell
7.5kg 15 reps

4x stiff deadlift with dumbells
15kg 15 reps

4x hamstring leg curl machine
28kg 15 reps

I’m certainly sore today but don’t have the DOMs I dreaded. My approach is slow but challenging instead of fast and overdoing it. I’ll be going every other day now and sticking to an interchange of upper to lower body routines, maintaining the same routine with increased weight every week for the next 6 weeks.

I hope that this maybe useful for anyone purely noob like me. It was a blast and I can’t wait to go back.

Keep up the good work everyone.

@johnuaapple1 It’s an app you can download where you can build your own routines and track them as you work out. The app has a dictionary of exercises and each one has a how to guide for the move. It’s free, I really recommend it

@reanimatedradio I’m actually making a combination of Shelley’s tips and the GZCL system that is in this sub’s FAQ section. A very strict structure, swapping upper and lower body each session, and with 4 movements total per session. 3-4 sets of each with 15 repetitions, at a challenging weight. The goal is to up the weight gradually with each session of the same exercises, so the routines become the same but more challenging every time. Repeat the same structure for 6-8 weeks and then mix it up! I hope that’s helpful!

@thisgenerationfulfilled Congrats! DOMS is usually 2 days after for me, so don't be surprised if you feel it tomorrow haha.

I also like Shelley Darlington in general, I know she gets a lot of flack for her views on cardio. Those seem like really high reps compared to most programs I've seen.

@dawn16 DOMs are gonna kick my ass tomorrow, I definitely spoke too soon haha.

I‘ve also seen her get some YouTube slack, but I’ve found her humour and light hearted approach to getting into weights really really helpful. The reps I took from combining her recommendations and the GZCL info in this sub’s FAQ. 15 is the top rep number I’ll go for right now :)

@thisgenerationfulfilled You’ll never be stronger than you are on the day you walk into a brand new gym by yourself and kick your first workout’s ass. The self-confidence you need to do this requires more inner strength than a lot of people have.