The only people who say, "It's all downhill after X" are those who were already going downhill the decade before

prestonmcghee

I've been hearing this for a LONG time, practically my whole life now, and it's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. As a millennial, many of us are complaining about "feeling old" or having this and that pain. What they don't realize is they're no different than the people before them, and just like them, they are doing nothing to correct the problem by staying healthy, active, and taking care of their body. Doing so makes such a huge impact on your life in so many ways that there really is no excuse to do nothing.

My granddad is 85 and he still goes out hunting on a regular basis and spends a lot of time doing physical activities because of it. If he was sitting around all day he'd never be able to do what he does and statistically wouldnt be here.

There's a reason why people who are active see the doctor less, take less meds, have less mental health issues, are happier, and just live longer. It all starts with you, us. Don't let people who have been sitting around for most of their life tell you things get bad at a certain point. Just because it did for them, doesn't mean it has to for you. Don't do what they did and take control. Prove them and everyone else wrong and then pass it on to others so they can experience a better life as well.

@prestonmcghee There was a guy at my gym, who was there as part of a heart rehab group. After the course finished he was the only one that kept up the exercise out the 24 on the course, thoughbthey all met up regularly for coffee and a chat. 6 months later he was visibly younger, fitter and healthier than the others. Over the next 6 months some of the group had died.

He was the oldest in that group and had had a triple heart by pass. He's 82 now and walks 4 miles to the gym every day, no matter the weather, does 1 hour weight training the walks back. When I met him I thought he was in his early 60's.

Your health will deteriorate if you don't look after it. It's a machine that needs maintenance and the older it gets the more work is needed to maintain it.

I'm 50 and in better shape than I e ever been, since I decided to make my health a priority, it's certainly more important than watching TV. Or scrolling on my phone.

@prestonmcghee So I’m 43 and in better shape than I’ve ever been and I think I look younger than people my junior. But it’s a lifestyle, I’ve been working out for 6-7 years now. I was never doing it to get shredded by summer or anything. It’s part of my life.

Yes I wanted to look better, but I never had a certain date in mind because I knew this would be for the rest of my life. I also don’t want to feel like shit and be sick all the time.

I know people half my age that are always sick or tired and out of shape.

@littleqin I have been working out for three straight years, heavy lifting, but injured my neck and have had to stop for about a month (and probably another two or three). I probably won’t need surgery, but if I do, I have been assured I will bounce back quickly.

A friend of mine is a little older and badly out of shape. His neck/shoulder issue is far more severe and he will be out of action for AT LEAST six months and surgery isn’t an option.

@saturn218 I got frozen shoulder in both sides (rare) during COVID and that took me out for a while, but was able to bounce back after about 3 months of physical therapy 👍🏼

@littleqin I’ve got 2 bad knees and TMJ with constant pain yet I’m in better shape than other women I know who are younger than me (34) and are not physically active at all. I’ve always been doing something since I was 12.

When you’re 25 you can totally get away with it but life catches up with you fast. I’m on my second Long Covid recovery and I feel better than ever. If I would’ve been in bad shape to start with I don’t even know if I would’ve made it. I’ve started weight training 4 weeks ago and I already notice the change. Muscle memory is crazy. So yeah sure. You can always start. But it’s so much easier if you’ve always been active.

@prestonmcghee I’m almost 68. While I have been disciplined about diet and exercise my entire adult life, it wasn’t until I took up powerlifting almost two years ago that I discovered what it’s like to actually TRAIN rather than “exercise”, and what it’s like to actually be no-shit strong. Powerlifting has literally been the most transformative thing I’ve ever done.

None of my women friends in my age cohort do any serious weight training, and it shows. Almost none of my husband’s friends do, either. And yet they complain about “getting old” and conclude that “welp, there’s nothing you can do.”

Rejecting that narrative is the first step on the road to a much better and healthier middle and old age. The second step is getting out of your comfort zone by doing something hard and feeling weak and stupid at first.

But if I, a formerly scrawny old punk chick with pretty much zero athletic ability, can get significantly stronger, anyone can. But it does mean getting off your ass, showing up consistently, and putting in the work. It’s sad that so many people simply won’t put in the effort, or worse, think they aren’t worth it.

Alan Thrall has a great video about the “it’s all downhill after 30” trope, and what a self-limiting narrative that is. Note: The first minute of the video is a series of clips that Alan put together from ads for bullshit low-T supplements, then Alan comes on. It’s really good.

@prestonmcghee Your granddad sounds like my Papa and they’re similar ages.

My papa walks daily on his old farm, he used to walk all the way down (about 2km) from his house down to the river to his boat to fish. Now he walks down to his minnow pond has a chair sits and rests and then walks back. He has a couple chairs set up along the road so he can take a break when necessary.

He cuts all his own firewood still. He has about 5 years cut and piled so in case something happens to him he knows that my Mama will still have a wood to keep warm for a while.

@scrythe My grandad is very old school. You don't take shortcuts to do things. If you go hunting, you walk and crawl EVERYWHERE. You don't take an ATV to get where youre going, you hoof it. Because he does things that I don't there are times where he gives ME shit cuz Im breathing heavy and getting sweaty while he isn't lol. I can move more weight than him but he's essentially trained in moving loads long distances because he's done it practically his whole life while I move them VERY short distances in comparison.

@prestonmcghee God I remember my buddies alcoholic obese sister complaining about how awful 30 is and your body just falls apart while we were all 1-2 years younger and fine because we weren't lazy as shit

@prestonmcghee I'm not going to say I don't see aging at all in my late 30s, but a lot of it's attitude.

My dad road up pikes peak on a bicycle in his early 70s. My mom at same age says 'i can't do that anymore' to simple things.

I'm in better shape now then in my early and mid 30s. I'm not where I want to be but working to it. And I just keep moving, just push my body that little bit more.

Because it's not really about getting the perfect body or whatever for me, it's living my best life for as long as possible.

@prestonmcghee I am witnessing this in real time on my childhood friend group that I still occasionally hang out with. They were all into sports and lean and healthy until high school. Since then they have been working sedentary jobs, eating junk, smoking weed all the time and of course not lifting. All of them are skinnyfat or just fat, complaining about feeling like shit, and blaming it on their age (early 30s).

I wonder how long you can look and feel good if you exercise and take care of the diet. I bet at least until 60 or so, barring any unlucky health events.

@kedar2020 Well past 60. I know 60+ year old triathletes and Olympic lifters who didn’t start either activity until their 40s. It’s probably wrong to say it’s never too late, but the 30s are still plenty young to correct and undo a lot of damage caused by bad habits and lifestyle choices