Thoughts on this Upper/Lower split?

isthaail13

I have been running PPL x Arnold for some time now and I feel like it is talking a toll on my body. What do you guys think about my planned workout split? (Will try to hit every set for failure). Each set will be done in a 6-8 rep range and will be doing progressive overload if 8 is easily reached.

Monday: Upper
3 sets of inclined DB press
3 sets of Horizontal chest press
3 sets of high to low cable flys

3 sets of dumbbell overhead press
3 sets of cable lateral raises
3 sets of rear delt cable flys

3 sets of T-bar row
3 sets of wide grip lat pulldown
3 sets of seated cable row (elbow tucked in for more emphasis on the lats)

3 sets of Tricep extensions (one arm at a time)
3 sets of tricep rope pulldown
3 sets of inclined dumbbell curl
3 sets of rope hammer curls

Tuesday: Rest (kinda active since im in school)

Wednesday: Lower (Quad focused)

3 sets of smith machine squats
3 sets leg extensions
3 sets of Bulgarian split squats
3 sets of seated hamstring curls
3 sets of standing calf raise machine
3 sets of regular crunches

Thursday: (Rest)

Friday: Upper
3 sets of inclined DB press
3 sets of Horizontal chest press
3 sets of high to low cable flys

3 sets of dumbbell overhead press
3 sets of cable lateral raises
3 sets of rear delt cable flys

3 sets of inclined dumbbell row (superset with dumbbell shrugs)
3 sets of single arm lat pulldown
3 sets of seated cable row (elbow tucked in for more emphasis on the lats)

3 sets of Tricep extensions (one arm at a time)
3 sets of straight bar pushdown
3 sets of Preacher curls
3 sets of DB hammer curls

Sat: Rest

Sunday: Lower (Hamstrings & Glutes focused)
3 sets of RDLs (Barbell)
3 sets of leg press
3 sets of hip thrusts
3 sets of calf raises
3 sets decline sit up

*Planning to train calves on upper workout days too.

How about it, guys? Too much volume or no? Any recommendations are highly appreciated. Thanks fam 🤝

@isthaail13 to be honest this is a pretty bad and imbalanced workout plan.

why not just follow a tried and tested program with a clear progression scheme? too many people end up spinning their wheels for months because they came up with their own frankenprogram with no clear direction.

i really like this one for beginners. if you're looking for something with a little more volume, i also had a lot of fun running this one when i first started lifting.

most people wouldn't need any more than that, especially if you've had less than a year of consistent and intelligent training.

@isthaail13 seriously, it'll be much easier to use a proven training plan and save yourself the headache of trying to fix this one.

but for starters:
  1. 33 sets on your upper body days. you'll either half ass your training just to get through the motions or the fatigue will kill you. or both. you don't need anywhere close to that much volume for your upper body, ESPECIALLY considering your experience level.
  2. a ton of volume overlap between muscle groups = a ton of junk volume. you're not counting sets properly.
  3. running every set to failure is a pretty bad idea and the progression scheme is not clear. no clear direction on what to do when you inevitably stall.
real talk: for the most part, gym beginners should NOT be programming for themselves. you'll be better served using something that's been proven to work and making slight tweaks to adjust to your preferences.

i cannot stress that enough. the ones i linked above as well as this program will be much better choices for you. ignore that advice at your own risk.

@isthaail13 not much difference between the two really, both are just as good as the other.

try running one version for a month, then the other after that for another month. then go with the version you enjoy better.

good luck!

@isthaail13 May I ask kung gaano ka na katagal nagwoworkout OP? Kasi if newbie ka pa, look for simpler routines muna. Ang goal mo muna is to master your form and matutunan mo which muscles parts ang nawowork ng mga exercises and alin sa mga exercises ang magwowork sayo. Kasi pag newbie you will gain muscle regardless kung ano gawin mo e. Newbie gains tawag don. Pag lagpas ka na dun, dun na magstart bumagal progress mo at dun mo na pwedeng magamit yung iba't ibang techniques at routines.

@epalinn Been doing home workouts since 2020 and started last January to really be consistent in the gym. I have been consistent from January up to this date.

@isthaail13 Try to look for a routine na maeenjoy mo in the long run. Pag halos di ka na nagpoprogress for example sa strength or muscle gains then dun ka magtweak ng program mo. Tsaka mag experiment ka sa sets and reps kung ano mas okay sayo kasi di naman pare pareho ang response ng katawan natin e.

@isthaail13 You’ll be in the gym for HOURS sa Upper days mo — especially if you’re gonna be training to failure each set with sufficient rest time in between

Personally, I don’t like training Chest/Back same day. I just find it too taxing and it requires a lot more from you so may chance magsuffer latter exercises. But if that works for you ig it’s fine maybe you can do 1-2 sets per exercise instead

Or you can do bro split too hehe frequency doesn’t matter when volume is equated (very minimal difference)

@isthaail13 Too much exercise. Include mo lang yung alam mong mas effective sayo, mukhang junk volume lang makukuha mo if icocontinue mo yan. Mas better siguro na 5-6 exercise per workouts and nakafocus ka sa paghit ng mga compound movements. Nabanggit na ng mga nasa com-sec yung mga napansin ko din. Better to reassess and reorganize your workout to more simplistic but effective. Keep it up!

@isthaail13 Also please do the math for us and total the sets per muscle group already.

Relevant questions as well:

Do you have high mind muscle connection for all of these movements?

Ano rpe ng mga sets?

@tony2468 For the upper, I have 9 chests sets, 9 shoulder sets, 9 back sets, and 6 for triceps and biceps, a total of 33 sets. For legs (quad focused)I have 15 sets and 12 sets for the hammies/glutes focused. Lastly, I have 6 sets for Abs. RPE around 9/10 since I really opt for high intensity each set.

I haven’t considered full body workout since I have never tried it before. I love going to the gym as much as I can but a 6 day split isn’t just healthy for me (at least right now.)

@isthaail13 Any reason why you have higher sets for quads vs the rest of the muscle groups? Are you measuring progress? Are you sure you're growing with current volume? Or feeling lang? Do you have data that this current volume already works?

You already have concerns sa healthiness and sustainability ng program so why force 6 days? Why force high rpe? It's not necessary and it's not even that much better.

You might like doing something but doing something you like isn't always what's going to be helpful. Magaabang ka ba na magically gagana nlng yung pinipilit mong 6 days?

Adaptation is never forced. It comes naturally..if 6 days is too much why force it.

This doesn't even take into consideration the quality of each training day or your nutrition and recovery.

Back