Tips for Treadmill to Road Running?

jero8858

I sometimes jog outside but generally run on treadmill in afternoons/evening. I am up early so working out not an option then and usually head to gym after work due to combo of weather (frequent rains due to rainy season) and safety (I don't jog outdoors once the light is gone).

I can go much further w/o stopping indoors but feel it much harder to maintain a similar pace outdoors. What are your best tips on transitioning and improving running outdoors? Also, I usually do a 1.0 incline (and 1.5/2 during any breaks if doing intervals) but should I raise it more to make it more challenging? (I have a race at end of June and can only reliably do outdoor runs on weekends though weather permitting, might be able to sneak in a short one sometime during week).

@jero8858 I honestly love the Couch 2 5k app (C25k). It's like a six week program that helps you start from walking to running a full 5k without stopping. It's the thing that helped me start my fitness journey twelve years ago. I couldn't even finish the stupid 5 minute run in high school, let alone the mile run. Obviously, you're much further along than that. I'm not a dedicated runner and as far as cardio goes, I've kind of slid between different things--walking long distances, doing the elliptical, etc. And even when I can hit the elliptical for 45 minutes, no problem, when I get the itch to start running again I have a hard time going without stopping. So I open up the Couch 2 5k app (I promise this is not a sponsored post haha) and I select the week that works best for me, because as you get further into the program it was you running for longer intervals and walking for intervals. It's just nice to use because you can make really good progress at a reasonable pace and psychologically you know there will be reprieve from your suffering according to a program you're following lol as opposed to just running as far as you can and potentially feeling bad about yourself when you can't run as long as you wanted.

@jero8858 Run outside and run slower so that you feel your effort is staying the same as when you treadmill run. Try to take small and quick steps. If I’m getting tired I try to take tiny steps. In my opinion the treadmill just isn’t the best way to train for road running.

Also if the weather is hot for your race it is best to train for that outside. Totally normal to be WAY slower when when the weather gets hotter!

@megalicious Thank you for the advice; I will work on slower and smaller steps to work it up.

Re: weather, I'd love to work on more outdoors but the time I have M-F to run coincides with the downpours and thunderstorms which are nearly daily in rainy season here so I almost never get the chance aside from weekends :/ but I'm hoping to get lucky now and then to work in an extra outdoors run

@jero8858 Hello me from the past! I made the transition from being like, 90/10 treadmill/outdoors to 100% outdoors when the pandemic hit. Like, not to knock the treadmill because it's still good cardio and it's much easier on the joints, and takes a lot of calculation out of running. But nothing beats outdoors - especially if you're training for a race. Unless the race is on a treadmill it can't prepare you like outdoors can.

Tips that haven't already been covered - don't always run the same route in the same direction. Running a loop of all right hand turns is going to be uneven stress on your joints, for example. If possible try to incorporate some gentle hills. Try the occasional trail run too if you have a good spot - it's very addictive.

Expect to go slower. If you're not used to pacing yourself it's very easy to go out too fast and wear out. If you're running on trail, even a flat, well maintained trail, you'll go even slower. If you're in the northern hemisphere and you're entering summer, expect to go even slower because of the heat. This isn't bad and you don't suck. You're building up your base and the speed isn't important. You haven't suddenly lost ability by going outside, you're doing a Lot More.

And again as it gets hot, wear sun protection, dress appropriately and stay hydrated. Dress as if it's 20F/10C degrees warmer than it actually is - you'll warm up fast. A gentle rain is actually a great time to go for a run in the summer - as long as it isn't dangerous to be outside (like thunderstorm/flooding etc) running in the rain is really nice in the summer, and you feel very badass.

And IDK if you already are, but if possible try to have outdoor shoes and treadmill shoes, or at least make sure your outdoor shoes are nice and clean before you use the treadmill again. (And if you get into trail running - so much fun - you might need a pair just for the trail that have better protection & deeper treads)

@heartofberries
Expect to go slower. If you're not used to pacing yourself it's very easy to go out too fast and wear out. If you're running on trail, even a flat, well maintained trail, you'll go even slower. If you're in the northern hemisphere and you're entering summer, expect to go even slower because of the heat. This isn't bad and you don't suck. You're building up your base and the speed isn't important. You haven't suddenly lost ability by going outside, you're doing a Lot More.

Thank you for all the tips but especially this ❤️

@jero8858 It's definitely what I wish someone had said to me. It took me a long time to figure out that it wasn't that I was suddenly worse at something, but that I was doing something harder. Best of luck on your runs, indoor and out!

@jero8858 Just do both regularly. I love my treadmill for when the weather is gross. If it's nice out, I'll go for an outdoor run. Weirdly, I run a lot faster outdoors.

Whether you're inside or outside, mix in some incline work and intervals to increase speed and endurance. If you're always running on a 0% incline on the treadmill, you're only working a particular set of leg muscles. Inclines are important for working and strengthening your posterior chain.

@jero8858 I transitioned by completely quitting the treadmill and only running outside, but instead of worrying about pace I paid attention to how easy or hard it felt as well as my heart rate.

For about a month I ran 4 times a week outside in a zone two heart rate. I made sure the effort felt light and easy. Now I pay no attention to heart rate, but it was a good way to keep it easy because I had a hard time regulating my own pace without a treadmill at first. There are lots of heart rate calculators online.

In the process I discovered that I absolutely love running in the rain, in the very early morning and on mountain trails, things I never would have guessed if I stayed inside.

Happy running!

@jero8858 Curiously, I have the opposite issue: I run better outside rather than on the treadmill.

My best advice is to prepare yourself similarly, if you have a routine that you use to get ready for running. Go to the bathroom beforehand (even if you don’t feel like you need to), and just go for it!

And try to relax! That’s the biggest one for me. If I’m worried and tense, my time tanks. If I’m just thinking about if people will see me, or what my route is, or all these things, I can’t concentrate on the run itself. Plan out your route as best you can before you go, and work on keeping relaxed.

It’ll get better :)

@jero8858 Not sure how your joints are, but try to run on softer surfaces like black top, gravel, grass, etc. over sidewalk concrete. It'll help prevent injury leading up to your race.

@jero8858 Caveat: I hate running, so very not an expert. But my physical therapist had me treadmill walking and running after a badly fractured leg and told me not to run outside at all for a bit because it requires more use of your ankle and muscles for propulsion. Threadmills don't require full springing like still ground, something like that? So when he told me to start running outdoors for the next rehab step, he explicitly said to take it a little easy while adjusting to the different movement and it really helped me mentally. Took just a few runs to adjust and then running outside gave me much more. So don't be too hard on yourself, it's like learning a new twist on something you already do, that always takes a little time, but just a little.

@jero8858 If your stuck on a treadmill you should have it at 2% incline to match more outdoors. I know it's never gonna be the same for various reasons but at 2% it'll push your body equivalent to a stagnant ground

@jero8858 The treadmill is actually a cheat, and a wonder deceiver in one’s ability to run lol
You’re essentially given a boost on a moving surface (think of those moving walkways in airports, how you’re able to move so quickly even though you’re walking normally). Now going outside, concrete doesn’t move for sh*t lol so it’s harder because you aren’t getting a helping hand like what the treadmill gives you.
Buy yourself some Nike Zoom Vaporfly shoes.
They’re designed with maxing cushion for impact, the sole is designed so when you go through your entire foot motion (heel to toe), it rolls forward essentially helping propel you, and with that aid in propelling you get a 4% return on energy.
Running was a staple for me as an athlete, so I spared no expense on running shoes. They’re expensive, but if you’re running a marathon or race, these are it.

Another way to help you boost stamina, speed, and duration is end your runs with wind sprints; explosive speed on balls of your feet, slow deceleration don’t stomp your way to slowing down, and slow slow jog back to your starting point to catch your breath. Don’t stop at the starting point, turn around and repeat.
I’d start with a set of 3.
To catch your breath big steady inhales in, and breathe out ALL air, steady draw in, etc. you’ll catch your breath quickly.

As for weather.. if you really want it.. weather shouldn’t be what discourages you from going outside. Dress accordingly, hydrate the night before if it’s hot the next day, and as always STRETCH!
Dynamic warm ups before runs (activates the muscle groups required for the exercise, and gets the blood going).
Static stretching after (relaxes the muscles post workout)

I hope you do well in your race. Be sure to get good rest, eat good food, drink plenty of water leading up to the race.

Good luck!