Tips or resources on injury-free workout programs?

rickh1972

I'm approaching 38 now, but honestly I've had issues with sports injuries for years now. I'm looking for an overall program/approach to maximize health and minize injuries, so I can become a fit-as-f*&k -50-year old, rather than someone who 'used to be fit'.

I already had a personal trainer look at my form and I'm not looking for injury-specific advice, but rather: if a 40-ish year old wanted to become fit & strong while absolutely avoiding/preventing injuries, what would be the best strategy?

I'm not just talking gym routines and how many sets/reps - I'm willing to switch it up and try any sport, program or routine at this stage. More swimming? Daily stretches? Way less volume? More walks during the work day?... WHAT'S YOUR SECRET?

---

Background: male, desk job, drink alcohol socially but otherwise eat very healthy, do about 5 workouts a week. Usually 3x gym and 2x cardio (easy cycling or swimming) and the odd yoga session. I used to do just strenght training but I feel the cardio already helps prevent injuries. And yet... I keep straining my back (like 1-2 times a year), and my physiotherapist just told me to give my shoulder 3 weeks rest after it started feeling sore out of the blue..for the second time in 2 years. I also have a jumpers knee from running too much years ago. It never really got better, but at least its not getting worse now either.

@rickh1972 Injuries aren't totally avoidable, but resistance training that incorporates tempo and full range of motion, and balancing different areas of your body is a good bet. Along with cardio for heart health that won't burn you out like what you're doing already. At 45 I pretty much fit your description and Functional Bodybuilding has done wonders for me!

@rickh1972 My overall framework is based on that of Peter Attia's. He came out with a book earlier this year and has done an enormous amount of media to promote it. There are incremental benefits to reading the actual book but if you listen to a couple of the long interviews he's done discussing the book, you'll take away a lot. You may want to listen to episode 261 of his podcast

or at least skip to minute 44 and that section: "injuries, prevention and working through existing conditions". At the end of said section he talks about a friend of his (approx 50 years old I think) who wasn't dealing with a nagging injury (shoulder but by analogy: jumper's knee) and the points there seem extra relevant.

@rickh1972 Accept that you will get injured and that's not something to overly concern yourself with.

You get hurt, you work around it. You get to choose if an injury derails you or not

Follow a well written program, training through full ranges of motion. Recover well (eat/sleep/hydrate)

That's the most/best you can really do.

Back