Training like mike mentzer

@lonilsny Mike did not trained this way himself and he created this method after he got all his gains by regular training (as most famous bodybuilders programs). This method atracts lazy people who dont want to put in the hours but they really dont understand what it takes to do this program. Each set is pain in the ass, you better be on some big stimulants to be abble to get the muscle stimulation. And it is popularized by the greatly overtrained or new trainees, where both categories get the gains from the program for a limited time. But trust me, there is nothing better for you than to get use to the consistend training and get to know your body responses for a volume. You can get the best gains with one set per exercice but you will be special like 1% of trainees, but it is possible.

@lonilsny I’ve been training every 2-3 days and I think it’s working good, I was probably very overtrained before though. Imo just train when you feel totally ready and not before, and don’t stress too much about it, even if that means training several days in a row.

Also everything I’ve seen by him says train every 3 days, and a little less rest can’t be that bad, you don’t have to do it all perfectly

@lonilsny His methods are working for me. I am stronger and much more full since I started in july.

I guess its just not for everybody?

Ps I dont train exactly like he did. Usually 1 warm up set, followed by 2 heavy working sets.

1 day on 1 day off PPL.

@dawn16 He had multiple routines he developed for different goals and people; his own actual routine was different. Literally go look this shit up instead of just being ignorant and jumping on the "HIT bad" bandwagon

@lovinghusbandforever Yeah, people are reading too much garbage from those "who knew Mike" and have added their own methods into the mix to call it HIT.

Menter's split was as you said. Later, he started doing a 3xweek ABA, BAB routine over two weeks and "got the best gains of his life," or so he said.

@dawn16 Exactly. His personal routines where varied and then he also created numerous others to train clients - hence the consolidation program which he made for a hard gainer who couldn't handle almost any volume.

It is understandable that Mike could train very infrequently because at that point he was super elite and lifting extremely high amounts of weight... it makes sense to take more time between workouts...

@lonilsny I've used Mentzer's philosophy for about 3 months on my bulk. I've hit PR's every lift during every session. Typically I do legs, rest 3 days, do back and bi's, rest 3 days, legs, rest 3 days, then chest and shoulders.

I've gained strength and mass, even when I've lowered calories to maintenance to avoid excess fat gain. A lot of people don't like it, but it makes a ton of sense with recovery. I feel great every workout and never feel systemic fatigue.

@lonilsny I love the fools who constantly parrot the "Mike's workouts were fueled by meth!" nonsense to discredit everything and anything he recommended regarding high intensity training. This garbage came from those who supposedly "trained with Mike or watched him train." Mike admitted to developing a habit of amphetamine use, but he stated he used them for concentration due to his obligations relating to writing, etc.. not for training.

I understand people not being able to handle training heavy-duty. I tried Mikes Heavy duty trainingbwhen his courses were coming out in the late 70's. I made some gains but could not maintain it long enough because it was just too damn hard. I think people just won't admit they don't want to train that hard and would rather just do conventional bodybuilding training. Nothing wrong with that. But that does not mean trainjng like Mentzer did in the late '70's/'80 didn't work.

@lonilsny Buy the most expensive protein powder you can find first, the more expensive the more muscles you will get. Next, try to eat AS MUCH protein as u can, 1g/lbs, but you can eat 2g/lbs just to be sure.

Now, YOU HAVE TO train 7-8 times per week and 20 set per muscle a week. If you train less you will gain less, simple math BRO.

If you don't get results from this, then you are just a b*tch and need to eat more and train more. LIKE BRO THATS JUST LOGIC BRO. I know a guy that trains and eats as i described and he huge bro he litarally has all the girls and shit.

Right now I'm training 7 times a week, yes I may be broken and my bones are shattering but who cares about health bro.

Now I'm so focused on gym and eating that i have no social life and my career is shit but dude I heard you have to train BIG to get BIG so thats life bro.

Don't listen to that Michael Mezer or whatever that german dude is called. Those guys that are in his cult are idiots. I will DIE OF DEPRESSION if i train 2-3 times a week.

@kaza125 Wdym? What part of my comment did you not understand. I will give you the NEWEST 2024 RESEARCH, where THE BEST DOCTORS trained 69 old ass poor asian farmers. They trained them only 3 weeks and they made NO results. So clearly that's debunked and it's foolish to even THINK about training 3 times a week. But when they trained SIX TIMES A WEEK 🥵🥵 their bicepses grew from 11 inches to 11.5 😨😨.

Now it's on you to decide if you gonna train the same and remain the same, OR TRAIN HARD AND BE HARD, SCIENCE PROVEN WORKOUT.
WHO TF TRAINS LIKE IN 1980S BRO ITS 2023 LIKE WTF MAN 🥵🥵😱

@lonilsny Many different approaches to muscle hypertrophy are effective, so if what are doing right now isn’t working out for you, modifications are completely reasonable (and fine-tuning your programming to your own preferences and physiology is more-or-less mandatory in order to continue to advance). RP did a good video on high-intensity training that should be a good source of nuance.