What’s your favorite physical activity?

g3ntl3w4rri0r

Hey ladies! There are all sorts of ways to get our bodies up and moving. I was curious on what’s your preferred activity? Are you making the progress you’d like to make? Is there something new you’d like to try? I have friends that want to lose weight and move more, but a lot of people think that the gym is the only place you can go to exercise. Sometimes the gym can be a miserable place, so let share what we do.

I do weight training at least 3 days a week. I love the idea of getting stronger and gaining muscle weight. I started working out at 19, I am 5’2 and I was about 95lbs for years. I was uncomfortable in my body, I was small and weak. Now I’m 28 and weight about 130. This is the best shape I’ve ever been in. I can bench 95lbs, I’m hopeful that I can reach 135lbs by the end of the year. I can squat 165lbs and lunge 180.

But I also love to run! I run three times a week. 1 short run (1-2 miles) one medium distance (3-6 miles) and a long run (8-13 miles). I take my dog to the trails three days a week and we walk about 2 miles. I also take my dogs on a hike at least twice a month when the weather is good.

I’m hoping this year I can get back into Pilates. I enjoy the challenge of something different, but the classes can be expensive! I like that I can feel girly at Pilates and the bonding experience of a class. I might get back into HIIT classes this summer. I wasn’t a huge fan of them last year. It seems like a lot of work to get my heart rate up. If I want cardio I’ll go for a run. I did a few olympic style weight training classes and loved it! But it felt like a great way for injury.

I do want to try sky barre or aerial fitness class. They look like fun. What are you ladies doing? Anything fun that I should try?

@ludlow I danced for about 10 years on and off as a kid/young teen and loved it and then I started to feel shy and anxious and stopped and I always thought about getting back into it but I’m worried I will also suck now haha

@g3ntl3w4rri0r I do a couple of sports but my favourite right now is pole dance. The unfortunate thing is it is an expensive sport. It’s a full body workout of stamina, stability, strength and flexibility. And the more one advances, the more advance moves requires a lot of flexibility. So to progress you end up having to take up more side classes like flex classes and more 😆

And I can’t speak for others but it’s an addiction right now for me. I literally will look at my home pole and bust out something daily

@g3ntl3w4rri0r My favorite activity would definitely be wrightlifting, followed by hiking or walking. My weekly routine:
  • 3 weight sessions (1-1.5hrs)
  • 15k minimum steps daily
  • 2-3 jogs or bike rides (anywhere from 30-90 minutes)
  • 30mins. Incline walking after each weight session
  • 1 bodyweight workout
  • 1 zumba/spin class (if I have time)

@g3ntl3w4rri0r I’ve been lifting for over 20yrs and that’s definitely my favorite. I was a college swimmer so that will always have a special place in my heart but I usually only get a chance to do it in the summer. I’m a runner but that’s a love/hate relationship, lol.

@g3ntl3w4rri0r Long distance running is my first love, and most of what I do is in support of that. I run 4-5 days a week and try to do a few half marathon races each year (trying to do one in all 50 states eventually).

I also love love love Lagree! I’ve been practicing for almost 5 years and I’ve been teaching for almost a year now. It’s a great complement to running, wonderful for core strength, and makes me feel so strong. It’s also helped me to prevent injuries, which has been nice.

I recently started incorporating one F45 class per week, usually a resistance or hybrid class. The HIIT style is a fun change of pace, and I like the ability to go heavy and work my muscles in a different way than I do in Lagree. I might try to bump it up to 2 classes a week after my next race, but taking it slow for now because the DOMS is real and I don’t want to add to much during my peak mileage weeks.

@g3ntl3w4rri0r I’ve been doing CrossFit almost 5 years and I love it.

I also like to hike

I’d love to try something like pole or reformer Pilates, but I’d have to drive 1.5 hrs for a class .
I’d like to do more yoga, but have a hard time making it to a class. I just do better in class settings.

@g3ntl3w4rri0r I love cycling, and I live somewhere that you can do it year-round as long as you pick the right part of the day. I go for shorter (to me) rides of 8-10 miles which takes me into town, I can hit the markets and also ride along the water so it's really relaxing. I also like to do longer rides (I did a 40+ mile ride last weekend) as well as I can just zone out and be alone with my thoughts and enjoy the scenery.

I have a Peloton now (my exercise bike finally gave up the ghost after a few thousand miles) and I'm loving that as well. It's a great way to try different types of classes including barre, as well as do some weights (I hated doing these in the gym) and best of all for me, it's in my house so I don't have any excuses to not at least do a quick class!

I like walking and hiking but I don't get too much of a chance to do much hiking where I live, though I walk a mile or so outside every day just to wake up a bit in the morning.

Kayaking is another thing I love to do (springs or ocean kayaking is great fun) as you get to see wildlife and be out in nature. I have a foldable one so I can just throw it in the car and go or I can rent one if I'm travelling somewhere.