What do you guys think of unorthodox conditioning tools e.g the versaclimber

jibonsha04

Hey guys!

Every now and then I think about how the sport of crossfit might evolve and in which ways it might be heading and moving towards. I believe the last few implements we have seen added were the assault bikes (started with the old-school airdyne), self-propelled treadmills, ski ergs and bike ergs (not non ergs like the cyclocross event), pegboards and obstacle courses.

I came across these two conditioning machines which seem like they would suck the life out of you.

What do you guys think about them? how do they compare to what we already use in the community?

Jacob's Ladder

Versa Climber

EDIT: also, this isn't a thread JUST about these two, they are just the ones I came across. If you guys know about some awful implements or movements (like the box step ups in regionals) please share!

@jibonsha04 I use both sometimes at the other gym I belong to, and find myself going back to the Versaclimber more often.

I say this with no expertise relative to anything else, but I really like it for intervals and other conditioning. You can adjust your stride length, change the resistance, and use a computer pacer to adjust effort, i.e., how much it sucks. In some ways it reminds me of rowing, where you can sort of cheat the workout by just using one part of the body, but are rewarded for using both arm and legs.

Jacob’s ladder is hard too, and I like how it moves as fast as you make it go, but for some reason hasn’t stuck for me.

Other conditioning which I haven’t seen in crossfit but really like is using the heavy bag for rounds. Especially when using heavier gloves, these just crush me.

@herns Yup. I've never used the versclimber but completely unrelated to Cfit, that thing has a well deserved reputation for being tough.

Jacobs ladder just didn't wow me. The position felt as much odd and uncomfortable as it did physically challenging, but maybe that's a height thing.

The heavy bag is pretty great. One of my favorite HIIT workouts for home includes: 30 seconds work (Kbell swings)/ 60 seconds "rest" (hitting the heavy bag). The point with the bag work on rest intervals, being focusing more on pace then on power. Trying to keep up the pressure so there is never more than 1-2 seconds gap between combinations.

A few rounds with that, then hit the airbike and I'm pretty lit up.

You are spot on with the gloves. When I first got the bag, I just grabbed the cheapest gloves on the shelf. Some feather light training slip ons . Later I felt like I wasn't getting enough impact protection, so I finally picked up some more proper 16oz . Felt like they weighed a ton the first time I used them.

@paxsincera Heavy bag for rest sounds brutal! With that said, I can use anything I can get for conditioning, so might be worth a try. I use 16oz gloves too, definitely feel it in my shoulders by the end.