What has worked for you?

ivybyreader

What has worked for you in terms of rep, set and workout schemes to balance out strength and hypertrophy? Or just in general? I’ve been doing some research to right size my approach and have a sense for what the wisdom is in general, but has actually worked for you?

My current routine is a 5-6 week cycle, deload at half volume and reduce weight, and then ramp up starting with higher reps and adding weight. So later in the sucks I’ll do more sets at higher weight. This was after wearing myself out by doing too much for my lifestyle right now. I felt like I was overdoing it and couldn’t recover. This is my A and B for MWF each week. With kettlebells. I don’t have access to a barbell and I’ve got to maximize my time because I have too many kids.

A
Halo warm up. 1 set of 15.
Slingshot warm up. 1 set of 30.
Romanian deadlift. 3 sets of 8-12
Bench press. 3 sets of 8-12
Single arm row. 3 sets of 8-12.
Seated shoulder press. 2 sets of 8-12.
Skull crusher with curl bar. 2 sets of 8-12.

B
Halo warm up. 1 set of 15.
Slingshot warm up. 1 set of 30.
Incline bench press. 3 sets of 8-12
Front squat. 3 sets of 8-12
Single arm row. 3 sets of 8-12.
Chest supported lateral raise. 2 sets of 8-12.
Curls. 2 sets of 8-12.

@ivybyreader These numbers are a bit meaningless without the loads. If in complete doubt and unwilling to follow a program, use the DeLorme method with whatever exercises you're doing. And by that I don't mean "3 sets of 10", I mean follow the method.

A somewhat better approach might be Cluster Sets.

Details for both of these can be found with a web search.

@mikeb34 Thanks! This article seems to indicate 6 exercises and that one could try progressing from light to heavy within a session, or having one light, one medium one heavy. Delorme protocolDo you have any sense for whether that is correct or not? Just trying to get a sense. I’m weary of overdoing it since I wore myself out recently doing too much.

@ivybyreader The easiest progression is two lead in sets and a third set to failure or something like it - Rest/Pause, DropSets etc.

Really, you'd be best off following a pre made program. Am not opposed to self-programming, I've been rolling my own for 30 years. But if you have to ask advice, you probably aren't ready for it. Is very easy to waste your time.

@mikeb34 Thanks! It’s not entirely pulling from the sky, but I understand what you’re getting at. Someone else mentioned Delorme? Are you familiar with that? Does my lift selection at least make some sort of sense or no?

@ivybyreader It makes some sense. DeLorme is basically relatively easy lead in sets with a last set to failure. It can be done in sets of 10, 8, 6. If you cannot manipulate load easily you can switch to ClusterSets, which play better with things like kettlebells. Try to keep volume upper/lower comparable, there is great value in training lower body due to the larger muscle mass involved.

Here's a copy of my stock exrrcise selection advice, which doesn't mean you should just make your own programming as you need to understand progressive overload and how to apply it:

"Generally all my basic programs are constructed around primary push, pull, hinge, squat with accessory exercises as compliment. In most cases this equals 8 exercises (4 primary, 4 accessory) with a few additional abdominal, bicep, tricep thrown in at the end. Alternate primary and accessory, upper body and lower. This gives every primary lift pattern a break every other session, while maintaining consistent volume to the prime moving muscles. The selection of specific exercises can be swapped out periodically but should be readily identifiable by classification (push, pull, hinge, squat) and role (primary, accessory).

In practice the exercises are arranged over two days, performed 3 times per week, run ABA one week, BAB the next. In practice it looks like this:

Day A

Primary Squat, back squat

Accessory Push, Overhead Press

Accessory Hinge, Hamstring Curl

Primary Pull, Bent Row

Tricep Extensions

Day B

Primary Hinge, Deadlift

Accessory Pull, Upright Row/Lateral Raises

Accessory Squat, Quad Extension

Primary Push, Benchpress

Bicep Curl

Abs and calves can be done every day as a finisher or not at all. Is a good idea to include some walking, jogging or interval training on off days commensurate with fitness level. "

@mikeb34 Thanks for the detailed response. So eight or so spread across the two days? It sounds like the primary thing I need to do is follow a set program in the sense of the DeLorme methods lead in sets progressing to heavier loads rather than what might be a random process I come up with? Is that a fair understanding? If I did that it sounds like a should bench and shoulder press every other session instead of every session. Also, I don’t have the equipment for a hamstring curl or quad extension. Any recommendations for alternatives? Could I throw a kettlebell swing in there instead. Thanks again. Really appreciate it.

@ivybyreader I would use good mornings over swings for my hinge work. Swings could maybe be used on off days for conditioning.

In my world, shoulder exercises are assistance/supplemental for primary push or pull.

Quad dominant:

Sissy squats

Hacksquats

Hamstring dominant:

Nordic curls (would require juryrigged equipment)

Mule kicks/upright mule kicks - I used to do these with a light kettlebell suspended from my ankle.

If you do nothing else, get a notebook and track your loads and reps. If you use Cluster Sets your loading stays the same every set, progressing heavier when it takes too many reps for your movement speed to slow.

Here's some more info on Cluster Sets and isometric programming, some of it already cut and pasted:

https://reddit.com/r/fitness30plus/s/cbsoLWbSku

BTW, this ^ is a much older post, I hit my stated target in about 3 months.

@mikeb34 Outstanding. Thanks. I’ve started to treat shoulders as assistance because I think I did too much and it hurt chest. This is super helpful. I think I’m going to give the Delorme set structure a try and follow what a lot of folks are suggesting about a primary pull, push and hinge etc.

@mikeb34 If I could pick your brain one more time, should the accessory lifts follow the Delorme set up of 50/75/100% of ten rep max? Seems like not since something lateral raises, at least for me right now, I have a hard seeing that progression. Thanks for all your help!

@ivybyreader Short answer: yes

Long answer: it depends on how flexible your training loads are. If you cannot manage a controlled range, you can mix and match loads to rep ranges. Eg 1st set =10 reps at 50% of your 10 rep max, 2nd set 4 reps at 75% of your 4 rep max, last set 12 reps at 100% of your 12 rep max.

You can also run these based on rep count instead of load, although load variation tends to work better. Eg 1st set 5 reps with your 10 rep max load, 2nd set 7 reps with 10 rep max load, last set 10 reps with 10 rep max load.

Is even possible to do this with a more open rep and load approach and simply use RPE. Eg 1st set rpe= 5, 2ns set rpe= 7, 3rd set rpe= 10. I would not advise this approach with a newbie...

Basically these all fall into a "last set to failure" strategy that is employed in many programs. Track loads and reps and increase weight when you can do more on any set.

@ivybyreader Just follow a proven program

This is just random and all over the place why are you doing a single set of 30 reps as a warmup that makes 0 sense

I usually so my heavy compound sets 3-5 reps 5-8 sets based on that days set 1rm% you don’t count warmup sets as part of your workout you just do them till you feel warmed up enough to do your working weight.

After my heavy compound work I do another hour or so if isolation bodybuilding style pump work for the muscles that compliment that days compound.

So for bench it’s OHP, triceps pump work, shoulders and back.