How getting fit has changed your life

@hlb Mentally--I really don't think anything else helps me to be more mentally clear. From everyday decisions to big ones, it helps to clear my mind and just can keep focus more when I'm exercising. Also, it keeps those down days away a bit more. My posture is better, my mind is better, I'm stronger physically, I'm less insecure. Also... I look better when my clothes come off ha. My ass isn't 30 anymore but it does look like it could be on a fit 30 something.

@hlb I have more energy when I’m getting regular exercise.

It’s great being able to accept invitations from friends to do physical activities. I used to dread it when friends wanted to hike because I knew I’d end up lagging behind the group, slowing everyone down. Now I don’t worry about it, I know I’m fit enough to at least keep up or participate no matter what activity they choose, whether hiking, kayaking, cycling, softball, etc.

I used to always see myself as unathletic, and that closed a lot of doors for me. It never occurred to me to try out a team sport. It wasn’t until I got fit that I decided I was gonna branch out and do some new things. Now I play hockey three or four times a week and have made so many amazing friends through the sport. From being picked last in every gym class to being part of multiple hockey teams… who knew I had this in me? I certainly didn’t.

@hlb Physically: strength, endurance, capability, flexibility, and balance. The obvious aesthetic changes to my body as well.

Mentally and emotionally: I find I am more patient and relaxed. My stress comes out as I work out and I tend to just take a breathe and gather myself before I respond to anything. I was always typically a passive person but this has made me a lot more calm in general.

As a parent: I am more present. My kids are now super active as they see my husband and I as active. I’m that parent chasing them in the playground, climbing the structures with them and carrying them on my back. I have so much more energy.

Meal prep: I don’t count calories, but I am mindful of what I eat and aim for a balanced overall diet. My kids diet has improved because of this. They mirror me. We cook and bake together.

Socially: I have met some of the hands down most amazing people at the gym. Being in a place consistently where there are people who are self confident and happy is just amazing. I have made amazing friends who inspire me to push myself forward.

Getting out of my own head. I always said I was not athletic. I could never run. Push ups were a fantasy. I now teach spin. I can run a 10k easily in an hour even though I haven’t run in months. Give me a month to run consistently and I can run a half marathon at a decent pace. I can lift heavy things. I can get into balance poses. I’m not that person I thought I was. I’m more.

It’s all cyclical. My changes led to my best friend’s sister asking me for advice. A year ago, she came to the gym with me to try it out and now she is there with me consistently 4-5 times a week. Her physical, mental and emotional health has changed. She is happier. We have formed a stronger friendship. My best friend saw her sister and her best friend at the gym together and joined us. She now goes consistently too. She signed her kids up for classes at our gym as well. Honestly, it changed my family and my social circle. It’s amazing.

@hlb I know firsthand that everything is much harder when I am not taking time to be active in some form or another. I sit at a desk all day. If I don’t intentionally make time out of my day to move, I get somewhere between 1,500-3,000 steps a day. Without being involved in SOME sort of intentional exercise (walking, a sport, running, biking), i don’t have a lifestyle that can still be considered healthy.

@hlb Good job getting back into it! Exercise is a weird thing innit - I've been consistently exercising for years - and my reasons for it can fluctuate but my initial/general leading reason is probably aesthetic and looking in the mirror and wanting certain things for my body, which doesn't always work for me (cause I like to eat and our bodies are all different etc.) but the other things that have developed over time that probably get me our of bed and that I look forward to from exercising consistently are things like:
  • Energy levels, before gymming regularly (and this is like 6-7 years ago) I used to fall asleep on the bus to work. Once I started exercising regularly in the morning, this stopped! I was so much more alert and raring to go in the morning
  • Not being sore. I pretty much have to exercise every morning, even if it's just a 20-30 minute brisk walk with the dog - otherwise I sit at my computer and i end up pulling my shoulder/neck in weird ways etc. I'm prone to less random injuries!
  • Speaking of injuries - I recover from injuries much more quickly than I used to - even if I do randomly have a twitch in the neck, it'll usually just bother me for a day or so, rather than put me out for a few days like it used to
  • Podcast time - I love having the hour or so in the mornings to listen to podcasts! Been getting sooo into them during lockdown
  • Feeling different sessions contribute to each other - I started running more in lockdown, and would get soreish lower back, glutes etc. Started doing pilates regularly, and noticed that working on the core and glutes in pilates helped my running SO much. Was no longer getting a sore back, could feel my core muscles working harder when I was running etc.
  • I recently got a new pair of running shoes - holy shit, they've changed my running game. I didn't realise what I was missing out on! I now have a running rotation with my old shoes and these new ones, and I'm SO excited for my runs in these faster shoes, cause I like seeing my times and they're actually really fun to run in cause you can really feel them propel you a long - it's just fun!
  • More reps - doing pilates has made my upper body strenght so much better, I'm pretty pleased these days how many push ups I can do (which isn't many by some people's standards I'm sure) but it's so good to feel the progression
  • Resting heart rate - strange one, but I went to the doctor after ages to get a prescription top up, and he took my blood pressure and pulled a bit of a face as it showed the results. He commented my resting heart rate was low and asked if I worked out a lot - was happy to say I did! Was super cool to have an unseen marker like that :)