What is the best 3 day split for building muscle?

@sammyclifnote I'm going two days at the moment. Full body because of work. In a calorie deficit and I'm progressing my lifts very well and hitting 15,000 steps a day. Loosing about half a kg a week. Been lifting for 20 years. I've made gains on everything from two days to 6. From Pure hypertrophy to pure strength and conditioning and everything in-between. I find it's alot about effort and progression. All training more often gets me is faster progression.

@sammyclifnote
don't think I can motivate myself to do the same full body routine 3 x per week)

You're just being overly strict with the definitions here. Ultimately, all of these "training splits" are about splitting up the total training so that you're not too sore when you train a muscle, but you're getting as much training as you can handle so you progress. The general rule is that muscles will recover in 48 hours, but it can be less for smaller muscles and more for bigger muscles.

So, I would train your legs twice, back twice, chest twice, shoulders twice, all the major muscle groups twice, just split up your workouts in a way that you like. It's not rocket science.

@sammyclifnote Arnold Split: Day 1 - Chest/Back, Day 2 - Legs, Day 3 - Shoulders/Tris/Bis, Day 4 - Chest/Back, Day 5 - Legs, Day 6 Shoulders/tris/bis, Day 7 - Rest...

Abs at beginning or end of each workout

I am doing this split with great results, except I moved Bi's to leg day so I can get more volume on each muscle group. I've been doing about 5 exercises per group per session.

@mourningthedead Stronger by Science?

I bought the program bundle. Waste of money. Needlessly convoluted for how simple an intermediate's training needs to be. Also the hypertrophy templates have a clear powerlifting bias, resembling more of an off-season powerlifter's training template than an actual bodybuilding program.

@dawn16 I see your point. I dont really see a difference. As long as the volume is sufficient for hypertrophy which seems to be the main driver. Can you explain why you think it's "bad"? And what you would do that would be so different?

I think the template for hypertrophy seems good and its a template meaning you customize it to make it work. A powerlifters off season goal is to build as much muscle as possible and still keep greasing the movement. How would you do it?

@mourningthedead I wouldn't call it bad, obviously you will make gains following something like that. My personal opinion is the whole RPE and percentages thing is unnecessarily complicated. Plus I'm not a fan of the hyper focus on the big 3 + variants and then just tacking on one line that says "accessories" at the end of the session. We're bodybuilding, we're not married to arbitrarily chosen lifts, everything is important.