What speed counts as a jog?

lost_1

I'm trying to start working out and doing the couch to 5k.
I tried day 1 today on a treadmill and I was walking at 5km/h which I know isn't exactly brisk but I'm not healthy at all 😅
I did myjog at 10mh/h but it was reeeeally hard but it also felt like if i slowed it down any more id just he doing a speed walk.
So yeah I'm wondering what speed counts as jogging?
Can i drop it at all or would that be too slow to be a real jog?

@lost_1 There is no single “real” jog. As a beginner, it’s literally up to you. Even “beginner” doesn’t have a single definition in this case. So if x km/h (I’m American, I’m per hour doesn’t even compute so I don’t have a reference to the actual speed lol) feel “hard”…then it’s “hard”. The bigger take away is that, and this is a generic blanket statement, the large majority of your runs should be “easy” runs. I would suggest NOT worrying about heart rate zones at first as they tend to be disproportionately high when just starting out, just go off “perceived effort”. If you are doing a scheduled “easy run”, then make it easy. Often this pace is slower than what we feel should be considered “easy” for others. But the single biggest factor to quickly improving is probably the ability to disregard what speed others might run or jog at. Just get out there and do it, and it WILL improve.

@lost_1 As a beginner you have a very good running speed. But follow your feelings, if it's difficult for you, you can try to run at a lower speed, because the main thing here is not to lose your desire prematurely.

Back