What's something you wish you started doing sooner/knew earlier in your fitness journey?

@giddeon82 For me, discovering active rest days was a game changer! Before, rest days meant 1-2 days a week of literally 100 steps, eating like crap, and adding a few drinks too. Now, I add some walks around the park, exploring the neighborhood with my dog, going on a nice hike, anything that gets me moving.

Of course I still have a lazy rest day once in a while, but that's rare these days.

@colwyn Same though...I mentally feel like trash if I don't do "something". It doesn't have to be hard. I actually really enjoy going on my one day, walking on the treadmill and catching up on my mobile games or podcasts. Technically I'm not busting my butt, but it's so important for me to have done it instead of sit around the house thinking I need to be resting or get scared it might become a habit and I'll just start resting 7 days a week lol. That's vacation.

@colwyn This! I never really design true rest days anymore — everyday is an acitivity day, but 2 days a week are going to be chill exercise days! Usually actually hitting 10,000 steps (I average 6,000) or doing a yoga video. I would be bored out of my mind on a true rest day.

@colwyn That you don't need perfect form when lifting; you need "good enough" form.

A lot of beginners are intimidated by heavy weights, and put off adding weight until they feel they've earned it by getting a perfect score on an internet form check. But in reality:
  1. How well you lift a light weight says nothing about how well you'll lift a heavy one. Your form changes when you add weight.
  2. Even powerlifters and weightlifters with years of experience will still be tweaking their form as they get better. You develop better and better form at the same time as developing strength.
  3. Different coaches/athletes have different ideas of what optimal form looks like. There are many right answers.
  4. Your body will figure things out over time. There's no substitute for practice.
With that in mind, don't ask for form checks as if they're a test you're trying to pass. Instead, when you ask a qualified coach or trusted/experienced friend about your lift, aim to find out whether it's good enough to keep adding weight, and what small tweak you should be working on next.

@anon103 To add to this, as a manual laborer who’s moved a lot of weight without giving any thought to form: you are probably not as fragile as you think. Your body will adapt to lots of stuff that’s sub-optimal in terms of technique, if you let it, and be just fine. Being weak is much more likely to lead to injury than a little knee cave or upper back rounding.

On a related note, people who claim your form has to be perfect on 1RMs and AMRAPs or you’re going too hard make my eye twitch.

Edit: typo

@colwyn Oh man. A mix of eating enough, eating enough, sleeping enough, and staying consistent. And stretching. lol I think the biggest factor is eating enough. I'd train for a half marathon and eat the smallest amounts of food - then wonder why my training was so hard -.-''

@colwyn I wish had started strength training earlier instead of just running. I feel much more balanced now that I do both. Also, good shoes and a proper sports bra make exercising so much better and less painful! It's not obligatory to wear skin-tight leggings to fit in with the gym crowd, any comfortable clothes that suit the activity are just fine.

@humbleseekerdublin Funnily mine is the opposite. I totally got sucked in by the whole "cardio is bad, you should just lift weights!!" but I actually love to run and only tolerate doing strength training, so now that I do both I'm much happier and healthier.

@mattyice117 One of us!! I feel like I see more people hate running and love strength training. I can barely spend 20 mins doing strength training but could run all day.

Do what you love if it keeps you active!

@humbleseekerdublin Same! I was stagnated in my running for years, more than I care to think about really. I feel like I tried everything but strength training trying to improve. I've been strength training on the Peloton app for 4 months, and while it's been it's own struggle in new ways, my running has improved so much with a fraction of the miles. Amazing!