Where Do I Even Start?

Hello r/PetiteFitness friends! I’m extremely new to the community. I’m looking for help, guidance, and maybe (a little?) helpful support from the community on my weight loss/fitness journey.

Height: 4ft 11in (149cm)
Starting Weight: 216lbs (97kg).
Goal Weight: 120lbs (54kg)
BMI: 43 🥲

Where on Earth do I even start? I’m completely unhappy with my weight and how I feel. I’ve tried going to the gym, giving up caffeine, drinking lots of water, intermittent fasting, and eating healthier. I always lose my momentum and don’t stick with my weight loss plan. Is there anyone with good advice or helpful tips to get me going and sticking with it??

@_youngboolingbhris_ I honestly can’t remember where I read this, but it’s really good advice for anyone struggling to get started: pick one diet focused habit and one fitness focused habit and work on them for an entire month.

So maybe to start you plan to swap out all but one beverage a day with water. Or you want to have at least 20 grams of protein at breakfast. Then you’d pick a fitness one. Maybe it’s a daily step goal, or to do a workout video 2x week. Start small, and really throw yourself into just those two habits. Once you’ve done that for a month, pick two new ones to tack on. It makes a snowball effect that adds up over time without being overwhelming.

@newcombe2 Couldn’t agree more with your suggestions. Start small. Trying to fit 4 workout sessions in per week, eating X amount of calories, etc will only bring you down if you aren’t able to accomplish them. Walking, even just for a 10-15 minute walk a few times a day will allow your body to slowly adjust to new things. If that makes sense.. lol

@_youngboolingbhris_ Go to the web, Google TDEE calculator and enter in your info. Probably best to say “sedentary” for your activity level. Then it will tell you how many calories you need to sustain yourself on a daily basis. That’s your TDEE. Then look at the Cutting tab or section of the calculator. It will tell you how many calories you need to eat each day to lose weight consistently. A 500-calorie deficit is doable for most people. Some go as high as -750 or even -1000 calories but -500 is a good moderate weight loss. About 1 pound a week.

Finally, get a good weight scale AND a food scale. Both are really cheap on Amazon. And download a free tracking app. I like Loseit but there are many out there. Go to the goals section and put in your current weight, your target weight, and the rate you want to lose your weight to get to your goal. If you pick 1 pound a week it should give you a calorie budget close to your TDEE -500 calories.

Once you set up your tracking app, start tracking every bite you eat. Sauces, beverages, condiments, alllll count just as much as you main food items do. Use your food scale to weigh portions correctly. Use tablespoons and measuring cups to measure out other things. Be honest and consistent. Tracking will get faster and more of a habit over time. If you eat -500 calories a day under your TDEE you’ll lose weight steadily. If you mess up and eat too much one day just go back to tracking and staying within your budget the next day. Take it one day at a time and be consistent.

You can workout if you want to but getting your calories right is your main tool to lose weight. Try walking 30 mins a day. You can also add weight training to increase muscle which increases your metabolism when/if you are ready. See r/CICO for inspiration and advice. Also r/Loseit. That’s it! Millions have done it and so can you! Lots of great support on these subs.

EDIT: Forgot to say I’m 5’1” and have lost 20+ pounds after starting this same approach in late February. I’ll reach my goal in another couple of months or less then will continue to track while I’m in maintenance to make sure I stay within my budget. Small price to pay to be at a healthy weight for me.

@drummer96 You can, just keep protein up and don’t go too much in a deficit. If you’re really trying to pack on muscle, you might be able to eat in a surplus, though I think that’s something for later on.

@drummer96 I've been doing weights while eating at a ~400 calorie deficit since May. I've been losing weight but steadily gaining strength. I've got muscles growing in places I didn't realize got their own muscle!

So that's one anecdote in lieu of data in support. I do try to prioritize protein.

@_youngboolingbhris_ My favourite saying is "the best diet is a diet you can follow for the rest of your life". Motivation will inevitably go away, you have to change your lifestyle and habits slowly. How you do it is up to you, however, because now one except for you can tell why exactly your previous attempts failed.

What helped me personally is constantly asking myself -- is it sustainable doing this thing for the foreseable years? If not, then f it :)

Will I stick going to the gym several times a week? No, which means I will be working out at home. I made sure all my equipment is easy to get ready, so I wouldn't have any excuses to skip my workout.

Same goes with food (arguably, more important than working out) -- I try to not over-restrict, eat my proteins and veggies, and constantly ask myself -- can I eat like this forever? The answer is "yes" most the time, so I don't "fall off" anymore (I've made plenty of mistakes in the past and felt exactly how you're feeling right now).

@_youngboolingbhris_ Agree with the above advice. The most important thing is only to try to make changes that you feel like you can be consistent with for long term. And that’s it.

For me - 1. I have the same high protein break fast (yogurt / protein powder / fruit / granola) every single morning. That means I don’t have to worry about what to eat when I wake up and it keeps me full for a few hours. 2. I do an exercise that I know I can do every single day, no excuses. Walking. And that has changed everything.

The consistency part is more important I think than even what you choose.

@_youngboolingbhris_ One of the biggest mistakes people make is to try to overhaul everything all at once. Picking one or two things to focus on makes it more sustainable, and sustainable > nothing. Once you got the first things as habits, then you can add on more. Progress will also be motivating.

@_youngboolingbhris_ Download Bodybuilding app and google Bodybuilding macros calculator.
Diet is 80% for success. Read articles on bodybuilding.
Lift weights first and then do cardio for 30 minutes.
Message me for more.
To lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.
I started my journey a couple weeks ago.
Let’s motivate each other!

@_youngboolingbhris_ You’ve already taken a great first step by reaching out! It’s overwhelming to be at the start and look at the finish.

You’ve been given great advice here. The only thing I’ll add is this:

-write down why you started or a coping/encouraging statement for the hard days. They’ll come and they’ll also go (key is to get through!).

-restarting isn’t failure. Slips are part of the process.

-pick mini goals along the way. Maybe it’s taking a 5 minute walk, 3 times a week. Make it specific and attainable. Once you reach that goal, grow it. For example, maybe the next goal is walking 6 minutes, 3 times a week.

Best of luck, OP! We can’t wait to hear about your success!

Edit for typo.

@_youngboolingbhris_ Hey I’m also 4’11 and working towards 120, so I’m in the same boat. I’ve wanted to lose weight for a while now but never could. I recently started in June of this year, after seeing my ex, he hadn’t seen me this big ever. I hate myself for even saying this but that was a big eye opener for me, of how I let myself go. Food became a huge comfort thing, I would turn to it whenever I felt sad/mad/anxious and happy. I guess you can say I was addicted to food.
I’m slowly realizing that food is here to provide me nutrients and it’s here to better me and my lifestyle.
Here’s what I’ve done so far to make changes, first I started walking, anywhere I could. In the house, at a grocery store and love taking walks with my dog. I began to park farther in parking lots and the first few weeks I attempted to cut out junk food and that was extremely hard, I’d eventually binge it a few days later. Horrible cycle, then I moved on to learning about macros and the importance of protein. Fast food is okay in moderation, don’t deprive yourself of your favorite things just learn to have a healthy balance. I agree that swapping out one item for a better option is a great way to start. Also incorporating more fruits and vegetables, nutrients dense foods is a game changer.
Oh and water. Water is really a lifesaver, I don’t mean to sound cliche. Drinking about 80oz a day has helped my mood tremendously. I just recently started going to the gym, hated it at first because I was embarrassed of myself. I came to terms that everyone there is also working on themselves. Don’t beat yourself over everything, I did that for a long time. You’re trying and you should be proud of that alone. It’s a hard process but this is a great place to find support.
Feel free to message, maybe we can motivate each other along our journey.

@_youngboolingbhris_ Focus on one thing at a time. But I will also say this: just get moving. Don’t think ‘I need to do X amount of steps’ but rather just think about taking a few walks throughout the day. Tear off the littles bites that are easier to curse. Don’t see it as ‘eating healthier’ but truly sit down and think about what that means to you: is it less sugar? Make quantitative goals (3 walks a day, limit of 2 sodas or whatever might be a good step for you) so you can truly process its effects. You got this!

Back