Morbidly obese where to start

@ehuntington Find something you enjoy and start slow. Play the long game, not the fitness industry hustle. Think about fitness at 50,60,70 frex. Unpopular opinion but I'm living it. I was a fitness nut and now I'm a dinosaur and looking back...most of the fitness industry is bullshit. It didn't do anything. There's no ROI or preventing joint and mobility issues.

Ive been surprised at how little long term impact there is from all the weights and squats and aerobics.

You need pilates type fitness more than anything for long term function. Glutes and abs are everything no matter what you weigh, everything hinges on that and it's what you'll spend most of your golden years going to pt for

So structural functional fitness. Then do what you enjoy.

@ehuntington Swimming is your best bet to gain mobility, if your joints are bad a walking stick will help you make so much progress. Canes are embarrassing and a walking stick sets intention because theyre out of place everywhere except for walks outdoors. You can buy the grips on the bottom of canes at any pharmacy for your stick. Adding small runs makes a big difference. The only advice is to just do it, just exercise.

@ehuntington does your health insurance offer online exercise classes ??? walk. the best way to start walking is not to park close in when shopping. take your cart around the store an extra lap just for the heck of it. mall walking is a real thing. the mall where i live opens an hour early weekdays just for mall walkers. even the hospital i worked at had distances marked out between the main hospital and the parking garage for walking. set attainable goals and don't beat yourself up if you don't make it and maybe it's a clue that you need to re-evaluate. maybe talk to someone, an employee at the gym and find out when there are clients there with less than stellar, hard as steel bodies. i'm sure they've been asked before. i know exactly how you feel. my cardiologist suggested this app https://www.myfitnesspal.com/ to me when i was having gi problems and couldn't exercise without getting sick. when you walk into the gym and you get overwhelmed is anyone making you stay ??? you're free to turn around and leave but maybe it will be ok and you want to stay. be sure to check out training videos on youtube. good luck and keep me posted.

@ehuntington My input would be to stay consistent once you get going. Try to do some exercises 3 times a week and each time you exercise, try to go at least until you begin to perspire/sweat really good. Any activity is good walking, at home exercises, gym-whatever you can find a rhythm with. If you work up a good sweat 3 times a week from activity you’ll start experiencing changes pretty quickly. Once you have a baseline, start tracking fitness related goals.

For me, when i got to the point where i could really push my system, the diet stuff just fell in line. My performance and feeling during the exercises would be impacted if ate something like fast food that day, so naturally, I started adjusting the diet. When I ate stuff I packed myself that day, my performance would all of the sudden be noticeably smoother and better, I noticed I could push further based on what I ate and how I hydrated which was new to me.

@ehuntington I'm 36, in a similar position, though I've lost & gained the weight back. My best advice:
Get up and move. Just move your body. And don't ever stop moving for too long. It will take care of the rest itself. You just have to move. Walk up some stairs, walk to the nearest stop sign and back. Then do it again; not even necessarily today, but tomorrow. Eventually, you'll want to walk further. Just do it every day. Move.

Advice for the gym? Just get there, step onto a machine. Make it a treadmill; you know how to walk. Then, keep coming back. Eventually, you'll get adventurous, and step onto a different machine. Just get yourself into the environment consistently 👍

@ehuntington I recommend a bike. I started on the exercise bike if you can get one look into a recumbent exercise bike Marcy brand has served me well. I was 425 I’m at 215 now. I always was fat and would joke if I survive my heart attack then il lose the weight well at 40 I had that heart attack 👀 I lived so got busy losing that weight. I had to lose weight just to be able to get on the bike obviously. But I got down to 375 and rode my bicycle in 52 now and still riding I f’n love it and you burn so many calories no matter how slow you ride. I’m only 5’9 and was 425 whatever you decide to do for fitness stick with it. It will become a routine then a habit then muscle memory. If you are motivated to ask redit you are going to do it I’m a Lazy schlub and pretty high right now so I’m rambling but if I can do it you can too. Unfortunately what you eat is really how to lose the weight Good luck

@ehuntington Everyone is talking about walking.

I bought a treadmill several years ago. I used it daily for about 6 months. I lost weight. Lots of it. but then life happened and I stupidly stopped. I tried to get back at it, but I found walking so boring. I need to get my mind off the fact that I’m walking. I tried music. I tried tv. Any other suggestions?

I’ve sadly since gained the weight back.

What is everyone’s thoughts on intermittent fasting? Like only eating 8 hours out of 24 hours AND walking.

@ehuntington Famous quote - "the thousand mile journey starts with the first step".

I might suggest a class type format. For me, OrangeTheory has been fantastic.

I have Type2 Diabetes and overweight. I started a year and half ago. I had been pretty good about going to the gym all along, but the beauty of @truthseekeratl is that I don't have to think. I just have to show up, try to follow along the program with the coaches, accept their encouragement, and survive. And I know I will get a well rounded workout including cardio, weights, etc. They vary the class routine enough that I never get bored. You can totally go at your own pace, they easily gave me modifications for things I was not ready to do yet (and still do), and encouraged me.

Yes, I've lost a good amount of weight (slow and steady like you're supposed to), added muscle, and my A1C is lowest its been since diagnosis, but more important its instilled confidence, mental strength ("I can do hard things"), consistency, and a wonderful sense of community. They have a fantastic/helpful page here on Reddit by the way.

I assume other class-oriented programs might do the same, but I know this one has been great for me.

Good luck. You can do this !