Why am I so muscular but not that strong?

@daughterofaking You're comparing your strength for exercises that are highly affected by body weight. Cut like 15-20 lbs. You'll look a bit less muscular, but your reps will go up significantly.

@daughterofaking
  • It takes most people years of consistent training to get strong. You haven't even trained seriously for more than a couple months if you count some of your previous training. In fact, you're decent strong for how long you've been training
  • If you cut some your strength to bodyweight ratio will increase
As other people have said, don't compare yourself to people who have already trained for years to get to high level strength. Generally, don't compare at all. As long as you're making gains you're pretty good. But if you do want to compare you should be comparing yourself to someone who has trained seriously for the same amount of time as you... not for people who are the same weight and height.

@deborah123 When I joined the USMC I could do 13 pullups.

For the 6 months leading up, i took my self from barely 3 to 13.

It took me 6 years to get up above 20. 23 was my peak.

I'm 5'9" and weighed around 180 lbs, and I've never had muscle definition.

@daughterofaking I don't mean to sound harsh but that's because:

1- You are not that muscular. You have good chest development but you lack every other area.

2- Calisthenics strength is very movement spesific. It requires muscles you've never used and your nervous system needs time to adjust.

3- You will have a harder time progressing when you are bulking compared to cutting.

4- 1 month of training isnt nearly enough to be discouraged because of slow progress or lack thereof. Keep going. Advanced skills will take years if not decades.

@hazeldenise1952 Nah that wasn't harsh! I appreciate the directness. I need to realize that of course bodyweight moves will be harder to progress in when I'm gaining weight and that high-level strength takes TIME, of which I don't have a lot behind me right now

@daughterofaking My opinion is that I think you were slim before the injury so you were able to do more reps which made you feel stronger and now also you have almost the same strength but you gained some weight. I think this might be possible.

@fangorn Yea this is true, I looked back and I was more than 10 pounds lighter during my first stint. I keep forgetting what seems like a small difference affects these types of exercises dramatically

@daughterofaking Armchair analysis:

4 weeks of training won't get you much.

Great lats but your traps & scaps look weak (comparatively)

You're a bit fatter than the average bwf beast.

You have very long forearms, which afaik means your levers aren't great (good for speed though). You can probably overcome it and still be very strong, but you're at a natural disadvantage vs people with inherently good levers.

I'm 100% not qualified to be talking about this, so grain of salt.

@daughterofaking surely this is a joke, you've been training for under 6 months and here you are spouting nonsense like "I can't do front lever or planche" hahahaha buddy it's gonna take years, years of training, plateaus, injuries, self discovery before you earn those movements. Strength and muscle mass are acquired very differently although related

@beboidephanoi Yeah this guy seems really inpatient. He's going to get injured again with this mindset. Fitness and strength is a lifelong goal, not trying to smash PRs and skill movements as fast as possible

@kevinkret86 Thanks for your reply. I'm actually being very cautious to not get injured again. For example, I resolved to master full ROM chest-to-bar pull-ups before I even think about adding weight and also to closely monitor my volume. I think my wording in the post made it seem like I was more focused on my comparison to others than I really am. I'm a very analytical person, so I was more so seeking people's perspectives on my particular situation. Definitely on the road of calisthenics for the long-term!

@daughterofaking Strength and endurance take time to acquire! A lot of folks LOOK strong but aren't as strong as they look. That's what I call "fluffy muscles"! The shape is there but no substance. That usually is just great genetics mixed with little-to-No legitimate long-term strength training/conditioning.

I'm the opposite, I'm a big, strong dude, but i just look tubby!! My arms and shoulders are very unimpressive, but i can do dips and pull ups for days.

Give yourself a year, then you can START to critique your progress. Be patient and consistent!!