Why is 60 minutes classes the standard? 90 minutes classes would be much more efficient

@bldssphq I mean I'm going to abstract this whole thing to say:

That's not what crossfit is.

CF is not a strength-building program, it's GPP.

IMO people should be more or less warmed up before the class begins.

Also your theory is also covered in a lot of ways.

Saturdays are longer in a lot of gyms (i.e. Murph and other benchmarks) and are not 60min classes.

@bldssphq You can save the first 10 minutes or so with have setup instructions posted as people walk in. At my box it's on the board what you need for the warm up and skill/strength. People walk in and get that ready so when class starts the description is given as the warm up goes or it only takes like 30 seconds.

Example:
Barbell
Light kettle bell
Red Band

Warm up 2 rounds:
Xy
Xx
Xy

Then on and on for the whole workout

@bldssphq
What do you guys think about 90 minutes classes instead of classic 60 minutes ones?

Most boxes waste so much time in 60 minutes that I am hesitant to give them more time.

The best box I went to got warmup, strength, and a metcon done in 50 minutes. This was during COVID when fitness classes had to have 10 minute gaps between classes. Nothing improves efficiency like constraints. You had to hustle, but it was very doable. It involved building a strong culture of getting shit done and not screwing around.

@bldssphq Because it's a business based on a class model and there is a finite number of classes and timeslots that can be offered in a day the most people can or want to attend. Too few classes or classes at times that don't work for most people means less memberships and less money. It's a tradeoff a bunch of factors and over time it has landed on approx 60 mins

@bldssphq Parkinson's Law.

is the old adage that work expands to fill the time allotted for its completion

In the end 90minute classes you say you will increase your work by 100% most likely this will result in people just standing still for longer and way smaller gain of percentage of working out.

Furthermore you now have to keep people attention / interest for 50% more time, which is hard for coaches. small bites make manageable bites.

If i say 5min for pee pee break and last questions we do it in 5min

if i say 10min the last person will come back at 10:05

if i say 2min the last person will come back in 02:05

If you have more time most will spend more time doing nothing in the classes, some will get additional workouts in. but those who use the xtra alloted time, will 50% of the time already do extra work in their own time.

@bldssphq I feel like it depends on the number of people attending. When it's like 5 people 60 minute class is ok. For 10+ people 90 minute classes make more sense.

@bldssphq I don't workout at a traditional crossfit gym but our classes are spaced out in 90 minutes increments so that those who want to work additional time or skills can and those that need to leave at the 60 minute mark can. I enjoy the flexibility for when I need to leave earlier but I routinely stay until the next session is getting set up. Sometimes I'll stay for that session too and help the coaches with extra students while also working on my technique.

@bldssphq I’ve been to a couple gym that’s do 90 minute classes specifically for people competing. I think the average cross fitter prefers 60 min workouts though

@diamerica Wish this existed in my area, I mostly train alone and am so happy when I get to train with someone (got some friends who are doing HWPO but we don't live closeby).

@bldssphq Same. I work three 12s so 90 min on my off days would be ideal but I understand the typical 9-5er not wanting to spend that much time working out before/after work

@bldssphq If people wanted to they would. I typically spend 2hrs. A day 5 days a week. Basically I do crossfit than endurance 2x a week than bench, squat, Deadlift the other 3. Normally there are only 1 or 2 left with me after the wod. Which is fine for me, and why I am advancing. HWPO!

@bldssphq So i was just watching a video where a guy explained (I'm looking into the science, as he posted sources) that you only need 10 muscle specific exercise sets to get the full 100% strength and muscle benefits for each muscle a week. He then explained that doing 1-5 sets returns 64% and 6-9 sets returns 84%. So doing 3 sets of, for example, bicep curls once a week would still give you ~64% of the benefits, and adding another 3 sets a second day would put at about ~84% of the benefits. So just doing the strength portion already does you pretty good, and the other portions throughout the week likely get you close to 100%, if not there. With the time constraints available to most people (as mentioned by others), that's pretty damn impressive, since outside of the strength portion each day there's normally also an endurance and/or cardio portion.

And I don't know about other boxes, but at mine, for people who do have that 90 minutes+, the coaches are more than willing to tweak and adjust to help those people who likely have goals outside of fitness and strength (body building competitions and official CrossFit competitions, etc.). But for the rest of us on time limits, the 60 minutes is not only good, but damn pretty damn great for what we want. Not judging, because if you want and can do those 90 minutes (I wish), then more power to you. But at this point in my life, unfortunately, I can't, but I still get huge returns from what we do (and will get even more once I start eating a little better).

Forgive me my lack of proper terminology, I'm still new and learning!

@peninnah That is very well explained and it makes sense regarding the amounts of sets. For instance on HWPO on any given week there will be ~6-8 sets of “core/pure strength” for the big groups.. squat, deadlift, presses. Then another 6-8 sets of more technique OLY liftings. All in all that would make close to 10 for every muscle one use in CF.

I’d love to read/watch the video if you get the link.