Will increasing ny calories help my bmr get back to normal?

voice_itw

To give a bit of context. I am 5'4 (F) 23 years old,
121-123 b. At around 21-23 % body fat. I weightlift 1 hour 5x a week. Do a fun cardio on Saturdays and I have a sedentary job but I hit 11k steps every day during my morning calls in my walking pad.
I am not new to weightlifting but I took a year off which resulted me getting a bit fluffy at over 30% body fat. When I came I went hard and dropped to around 22% in my 16 week cut. (My weight only change slightly as I recomped a lot). At this time I lost my period.
My plan was to get back to maintenance for around a month and then go to a surplus. I increase my calories from 1550 to 1800. It has been a month and a half and my weight has been trending .3-.4 lb increase weekly. This would put my tdee at
1600-1650 which seems extremely low. I Know people with similar metrics with sedentary lifestyles at 1800 maintenance. And even when using online calculators the lowest amount for my metrics are 1800 at sendentary. (Note I track everything to the gram, people love saying "you are tracking wrong" but l'm not)
People have pointed out that it may be my thyroid but I got my bloodwork done and it's all ok. Some people say my second amonorreah (lost of period) or dieting may be suppressing my bmr.
I am thinking of increasing my calories to 1900 or 2000 but I am also cognizant of the fact that maybe my bmr is not suppressed and I am already gainin .3-.4 a week. Adding 100 to 200 more calories result in more fat gained rather than muscle.
What should I do? Should I increase my calories and if so by how much. Will this help my bmr get back to normal?

@voice_itw What are your goals, would be the first question. I could be misreading (I'm on a flight 😬), but a part of your post sounds like you're working on getting lean; however, other statements seem to indicate to me that you're trying to increase your calories to gain muscle. Can you help clarify?

Otherwise from a bird's-eye view, and for one thing, any time you work out hard enough to cause amenorrhea, you've increased cortisol (your primary stress hormone) to a degree that can often lead to stress based fat deposition, diminished muscle synthesis and repair, and other effects. These effects can occur on a case-by-case basis, so your system may react differently to another person. This can also cause your body to enter a "starvation-mode"-type protective mechanism as well, which would, in theory, lower your BMR.

Anyway, just a few friendly thoughts. Sending you positive vibes.

Back