Workouts that don’t push limits

panozaa_allbet

I’m a 40 year old woman that worked out rigorously for years. Lots of lifting. Lots of HIIT. Five years ago, I started getting exertion vestibular migraines and had to quit working out entirely when working out like this daily gave me a nine month long migraine. Since then, I tried off and on to work out again with no luck, always triggering the migraines.
Then, last year I got some great mental health help that has helped me to avoid migraines, not having even one for the last year. So now I’m ready to work out again but everything I press play on is about pushing yourself to the limit or go beyond your comfort zone, and I’m just not about that life anymore.
I want to have good heart health and strong muscles for my bones, that’s it. I’ve done some dancing, some yoga, and walking and hiking, which I love because it’s just fun and not about pushing. My yoga teacher even says, “Let’s pause for a moment and take a few breaths to lower our heart rate” and I’m like, yesssssss. I want to find a home workout subscription that doesn’t always have the trainers trying to get you to go faster or push harder or add more weight. It’s such a turn off for me now.
Is there anything out there for strength and cardio that avoids the “push harder” “go bigger” mentality???

@panozaa_allbet Pilates is probably your go to. Does the job of stretching and strengthening the body simultaneously while giving you a rock solid core and helping to correct imbalances. Also very doable for people with severe limitations. Will get you sweating and working hard without feeling like you're going to die. Extremely humbling yet friendly for all ages and capabilities.

@panozaa_allbet The Glow Method on YouTube. Great combination of yoga, Pilates, and mobility. I love these videos for those days when I am so down and literally have no power. I can’t even call it a workout.
They are wellness exercises exactly without pushing to the limits.

@panozaa_allbet I’m 47 and used to love more high intensity workouts. A couple of years ago, I felt burnt out! I’ve been using the BFit app from Breanne Freeman and love it! It’s web based but you can save on your home screen like an app. It’s weigh lifting, but feels totally sustainable and something I plan on doing indefinitely. You can select how many days a week you want to workout and I think different levels (beginner, intermediate or advanced). I love it. I use it 4 days a week and then either add walks or cardio like the elliptical if I want. I don’t feel burnt out and actually really look forward going to the gym now. Probably the most consistent I’ve been in quite awhile.

@panozaa_allbet Instead of giving a recommendation that may not work for you because most online programs are designed for the general public and not an individual, I would suggest you work with a qualified personal trainer if that is something you can afford.

Or you need to learn the training principles of strength and conditioning yourself. There are a lot of videos and books out there that can teach you how to structure your own training based on your goals and you can progress at your own pace. I hate to break it to people but in order to reap all the benefits of resistance and cardiovascular training, you do need to push yourself a little bit past your comfort zone. That is where the concept of Rate of Perceived Exertion comes in handy. However, you should not push past intense pain, or in this case, migraines.

I've been working with a 40-something client and we focus on single leg movements, a lot of balance training and joint mobility work. There are a lot of ways to train to improve your quality of life as you get older, but strength training cannot be neglected.

@panozaa_allbet Speak to a doctor or NP who is well versed in hormone replacement therapy. You’re at an age now where some of your migraines could be hormonally triggered. Most “regular” OBGYNs won’t even discuss HRT, so you’ll need to ask around about practices who specialize in it. Conversely, you could have a consult with one of the online providers, like Winona or Midi.

@panozaa_allbet My migraines aren't connected to exercise, but in general, I'm with you.

I bought a year of Ekhart Yoga when it was on a nice discount approaching the holidays. It has such a great mix of modalities and yoga types. I'm doing pilates reformer classes in a studio to help get started, but I also did some basics/foundational pilates classes on Ekhart before going to that (and I'm very glad I did!). It's not really going to have cardio options, but I found a lot of value in the pilates for pain videos as well as the myofascial release resources too. They offer a free 14-day trial if you want to check it out, but I also found some old videos from them on youtube.

These days, I do yoga to relax, pilates/barre for low-impact strength, and hiking for cardio (or stairmaster, if need be). I'll get back to cycling and paddling when it warms up and my back is stronger (injury last year, ugh). I don't work out for max performance potential, I work out for mental health, functional strength, and longevity.

And huzzah for your migraine progress! They're such a bitch.

@panozaa_allbet I love Laura Girards videos on YouTube, they sound like what you might be looking for! She’s also on insta/tiktok, it’s definitely a more gentle/modifiable approach to strength training or cardio

Back