[X-post from Fitness] 23 y/o female, want to start lifting heavier, adjustable dumbbell suggestions?

laura1084

Ooh I hope I did this right. Apologies if I didn't!

I already posted on Fitness but was hoping you fine ladies could give me some insight too :)

I’m 23 and I want to incorporate more strength workouts into my routine. I do some bodyweight and resistance training already. I own 3lb and 5lb dumbbells but they are quickly becoming too light for me. I like to do different videos off YouTube because of the variety. e.g. FitnessBlender. I did this one today
and while I sweated like crazy, it didn’t feel like I was working hard at all.

Yes, I could join a gym but I love the convenience of working out at home and that’s such a big part of how I am motivated to workout everyday so I don’t want to stop that. And of course I need to save money :) (Currently looking for a full-time job but that’s another story…)

I exercise in my bedroom in a 6’x6’ square area. So I’m thinking an adjustable dumbbell system would be best. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions in general for me?

Thank you!

@laura1084 I have the bowflex selectech 552 adjustable dumbbells, they go up to 55 lbs each and I love them. Like you I like to exercise at home, it's just easier for me. I also do that fitness blender video you posted!

@laura1084 We have a set of adjustable dumbbells made by bowflex. They're great. Each goes from 5-55 lbs at 2.5 to 5 lb intervals. Easy to change the weight with a dial on the side. The only downside is the whole set is heavy and awkward to move around. Husband built a little tray on wheels for them so we can get them out / put away easily