1 month of arms, no rest days. Am I stupid?

@bobgunn Yes, definitely double, and spread your intake apart by about 3-4 hrs, shoot for 30-40grams per meal. You need enough protein so that muscle protein synthesis outpaces muscle protein breakdown. Adding a basic chart for reference.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...muscle-protein-breakdown-MPB-in_fig1_23500706

“Nutrient-driven increases in MPS are of finite duration (∼1.5 h), switching off thereafter despite sustained amino acid availability and intramuscular anabolic signalling.” So peaking after 1.5 hrs, then heading back down for 1.5 hrs. Hence spreading the protein 3-4hrs apart.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3381813/

@bobgunn Just for reference, I’m a woman who runs and does CrossFit. I’m in a calorie deficit (1780), but my Macros are protein 135g, carbs 178g, and fats 60g. That’s way too little protein. Nonfat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are great ways to get extra protein.

@bobgunn If you can do the same exercises every single day without rest days, then you're not doing it right.

I suspect that if you actually took a rest day (or two), you'd find that your actual one-rep maximum is much, much higher than you currently think it is, and that you're capable of moving much more weight.

The much smaller weight you're moving on very damaged arms won't be challenging your muscles anywhere near as effectively as it could be - think about it, you're essentially saying "muscles don't need to regenerate or grow" by behaving the way you're behaving.

Your "strength gain" is very likely an illusion - the manifestation of muscle memory, which can hugely increase your exercise efficiency without any actual, physical growth of the muscle in a beginner. This is why a female can effortlessly destroy a technically stronger male in arm wrestling if she is experienced and he isn't - simply having muscle-memory for the motions involved in arm wrestling can functionally enhance your strength by a factor of 5 (EDIT: in arm-wrestling). You will experience the same effect on all of the lifts you're doing - simply by having the muscle memory of the exercise your muscles will be functioning far more efficiently than they were when you started, they could even have shrunk from overtraining but still be outperforming your initial lifts as a result of this effect.

@bobgunn Not a bwf post at all, really, but - yes, working out the way you do is stupid. You almost certainly would be seeing better all around results if you’d applied the same level of dedication towards a reasonably whole body-balanced, progression-based program.

But it’s ok, you’re learning! Get on a real program based on actual science and apply the same amount of dedication. You’ll be a monster in a year.

@debro Please recommend one program based on real science

edit: if anyone is curious Id recommend listening only to people who have a certification from an academic institution in kineseology or sports medicine or some field of biology. dudebros who are on gear and didnt learn about injuries and resting muscles are not worth listening to. Lol I've even received better advice to avoid injury from surgeons than I have from guys who just work out a lot but dont care to look up how the body works lol.

OP @bobgunn best of luck witht the journey.

@julie41 I’m sorry, are you suggesting “do biceps every day” is in any way comparable to the Recommended Routine? Because you’re attempting to put those two things on an equal field by dismissing them both as “not real science”.

@bobgunn If a exercise were like renovating a house, then the workout is tearing down walls and the rest is re-building them. If you only tore down walls your house will fall apart and nothing will be rebuilt.

@bobgunn Kid, you KNOW that what you're doing is stupid, because you have asked 'is this stupid'. Nothing about your training makes sense. Sure, your arms are a bit bigger, but what about the rest of you? There is SO much you can do at home for your whole body- you should frankly do away with arm training and just focus on compound movements:
  • Rows
  • Presses
  • Romanian Deadlift
  • Deadlift
  • Squats
  • Split Squats
Also your diet is insufficient. I've had individual meals that have that many calories. You need more of everything. Don't worry about supplements- it's not required, just more of everything.

Source: I've trained Olympians.

@bobgunn Dude you aren’t even doing a month of arms. It’s a month of biceps only. So to answer, yeas it’s stupid. Risk of injury. Unbalanced arms with no triceps to balance. Unbalanced body. Biceps with no shoulders, no chest, no back, no core, no legs.

@bobgunn Rest is what allows the muscles to recover and build after you’ve torn them from exercise so yes it’s stupid to not rest, without recovery your body won’t grow as well.

Back