1000 lb club sub 4:30 mile same day - possible?

@lookingfordavid Literally the 1000lbs club is “better at lifting then the average guy with a few years of training”. Achievable by most men.

4:30 mile? No way is that achievable by most men.

I’m guessing OP is just built as a runner so sees 1000lbs as kind of a hard goal. For them it might be, but they are clearly a competitive runner

@diamonddolljeanette The average joe can be in the 1000 club while using the starting strength methodology in 6-7 months. Looking at my gyms lifting numbers on our app, 30% of the men are in the 1000 club. We’re mostly just a bunch of working dads from 30-55 years old.

A 1000 pounds isn’t as exclusive as you’re making it seem.

@eboigbeosayande Ehhh idk about he average Joe in 6-7 months. That’s a sqaut and deadlift that add to about 725-750 and a bench of 25-275

I don’t think most people are gonna get a 330-350 squat in a few months or lifting

@bluemind84 Those linear beginner programs like that go up 5lbs a week on bench, 15 on squat, and 10-20 on deadlift. So I guess it depends on their starting numbers. I used it after an injury and it took my squat from 225 back up to 405. Granted being new versus returning from injury are a bit different.

@eboigbeosayande 405 is also a pretty good sqaut. We don’t have many people who can go passed a 300ish front squat and a 350ish back squat.

Not to mention just proper back sqaut technique usually takes a couple months if they haven’t done it before.

I’m guessing you’re a bigger guy?

Edit: Matt Fraser has probably one of the bigger competitive back squats for CrossFit. He was at high 400s. And he has a power lifting background and sort of built for it.

Average was like 450. So you’re on the lower end of competitive back sqaut numbers for CrossFit

@patim22 4:30 is no where near an elite time for actual runners. It is a common time for high school runners to hit. A free account on athletic.net only has access to the top 25 for HS, but currently it takes 4:10:77 to hit that.

Generally I feel like “elite” would be people who could qualify for national level events (not necessarily do well, but just hit the standards).

For hybrid athletes it’s obviously going to be different, but very few disciplines do a mile and strength training. Decathletes often are able to do under 4:30, but CrossFit doesn’t see it often.

@savedxi A 1000lb CrossFit total is like a 6:45 mile.

A 1000 lb power lifting total is like a 9:00 mile

This is a running challenge not a hybrid challenge

@patim22 How much are we watering down the term elite these days? 4:30 for a male is not even close to elite. Elite marathoners can throw in a sub-4:30 mile in the middle of a 2:10 marathon as a tactic to drop other runners.

I went to school in a small rural area where we had at most 90 kids in a graduating class. 4:30 wouldn’t even have been the HS record. Our best miler at the time ran in the 4:20s and that wasn’t good enough to win the conference meet, let alone state. And those times are far away from the sub-4 times that collegiate runners can make.

@revjrm2047 I should have clarified - a person that can squat 400+ then turn around and run a sub 4:30 mile is pretty elite to me. For a pure competitive runner I would still classify a sub 4:30 mile as still “very good”

@johnmorre91 If someone squats low 300s they better have a damn good DL relative to their back squat. A 300 BS and 500 DL means they would still have to shoulder press 200, and at least from my experience a 200 lb shoulder press is a lot more rare than a 300 lb squat.

@patim22 Usually the 1000 lb club uses Bench Press instead of Shoulder Press. Only the CrossFit total uses shoulder press. Seeing as OP posted this same post in other subs, and Rogue’s official challenge page uses Bench, I’m assuming he’s using bench press. In which case 250/325/425 gets it done.

@patim22 I’d agree with you if it’s in CF total - the 200 SP is much more rare, and overall the 1000 CF total is a much more impressive feat since you need some strong legs to hit it.

Back