1yr update, now about 3 years of steady progress now 41F/5'1/110-113lbs

chozenwun

ALBUM WITH CURRENT PROGRESS PICS, TAKEN YESTERDAY (getting ready to start a 6wk bulk cycle):

Links to prior posts, with progress pics in each:

2023:
2022:

Figured it's time for another progress update. Technically I'm fitness 40+ now but my heart isn't ready to make the move.

As of today: I’m 3 years into a consistent and steady lifting & exercise program. I'm now heading into 7 years out from the issues that put me out of service to begin with. I'm 4.5 years out from hip surgery from the accident, and 3.5 years out from surgery removing my first rib and a scalene muscle due to thoracic outlet syndrome (another injury from the car accident). Lifestyle continues to consist of 2x weekly lifting with a trainer, and usually at least 1x weekly cardio (high activity cardio dance, or HIIT class) as well. I run a few OCRs each year because they're just super fun, but not in the competitive heats.... and I completed a partner DEKAfit a few months ago, and my friendgirl & I came in right around 26 minutes, IIRC.

Weight continues to remain just about the same. In the last year I’ve hardly lost or gained any pounds but body comp continues to change. I'm more comfortable in a size S and sometimes M for tops now, because of muscles I suppose. Clothes fit very different, still definitely in all Petite sizes for pants but sometimes I don't need to buy "petite" tops because my shoulders fill them out better, which is interesting.

It's now been I think almost 2 years off all HR and BP meds. I still try to keep diet about 85% healthy, and I feel best with 80-90g of protein per day. I add unflavored bone broth to my coffee, ice cream, oatmeal, etc for extra protein and if we make any soups or anything that would require boullion/broth I just use bone broth for my whole family instead. Still drinking AG1 every other day, and I've added HMB because it could possibly prevent osteoporosis & we have a strong family hx of severe osteo, in spite of remaining extremely active into old age.

At last year's update my hip was behaving but I'm back at the ortho now for probable iliopsoas tendinitis, which isn't uncommon to develop after the surgery I had (labral tear repair, partial release of hip flexors, & FAOI impingement repair). It's painful to do certain activities like v-ups or hanging crunches, but I do them anyway. I haven't had a full lupus flare in a year and a half in spite of remaining medication-free. However, the moment I start losing hair or getting rashes again, I'll be on any and all medications; this is NOT a post advocating you stop your AI medications!! Just sharing my journey that sometimes, if you're taking are of yourself AND the stars align, you might be able to have a break from the daily pain & exhaustion :)

I'll keep the same ending from last year: I REALLY hope people are inspired to Do Things Anyway, regardless of what they’re told, because it has been lifechanging for me.

@chozenwun This is amazing! I have a connective tissue disorder that has wreaked havoc on my joints - 4 shoulder surgeries by 30, plus physical therapy for IT band, wrist, pelvic floor after having kids, and hip issues so far... But I've decided to go for it. I've started lifting... But I'm in the before phase right now. I would love to end up looking even half as strong as you do - thank you for sharing!

@redrabbit Because lupus is basically a disease of collagen destruction, I have a lot of icky pain in my joints (and hair. And skin. And and and…)

Drinking a bone broth protein shake daily makes a humongous difference for me. Good luck to you!!