2024 Strength Goals - 2nd year lifting

@iowaboy47 I would suggest pulling up a stool and doing negatives! I started doing negatives twice a week on upper body days and after a few months was able to bang out a pull up, unassisted. I was doing 3-4 sets of 5 negatives, trying to lower myself over 5 seconds each time. It's a few years later and I am up to a top set of 6 in a row, getting ready to go for 7.

@naate 1.5x bodyweight is often used as a milestone for training, and I’ve read it can take 2-3 years to get there.

I’m also about one year in and lift about one plate on the DL and squat, hoping to get to 1.5x my bodyweight (I’m 160 lb) in another 1-2 years

@johnmogro From what I've seen, it's usually 0.7x (or 0.75?) bw for OHP, 1x for bench, 1.5x for squat, and 2x for deadlift. I was hoping to achieve at least three of these this year, but, well, I only achieved one and am still happy

@roman1982 Being able to bench my body weight (140lb - so a plate and a bit) would be huge! It’s a major long term goal - but I doubt I’ll be able to clear it this year.

@naate I benched my bodyweight (126.5 lbs) exactly once in my life! It was this August, but then I got sick, started bulking and switched to higher reps. I hope to re-achieve it in 2024

@johnmogro It's something super generalized and mostly for gym bros I think (but tbh I like these numbers, too 😅). Just nice numbers that are easy to memorize. If you look at some website like this one (idk whether it's a good one, just the one I found by googling) then the standards are different for men and women and for different weight categories

@naate Today I was waiting forever for the bench then the guy who got up first took the bar with him. I had to go get another bar from across the floor and I'm struggling with it the whole way 😭😂😂

@naate I think those goals seem reasonable, but it’s really about what you want! I personally find deadlifts a lot easier than squats so you aiming for a heavier squat than DL is wild to me, 185 is light weight on a DL but 170-185 is a heeeavy squat for me. But again, if that’s what is good for you to aim for then who cares what I think! ETA whoops sorry thought the 1RMs were the goals, my point still stands though, whatever you want to aim for as an individual is good!

@bbanvil Yeah, my quads have always been naturally huge so I credit my overpowered squat to that. Plus I took deadlift real slow to start with because it was a completely new lift for me (I did body weight squats before - doesn’t work for deadlifts). Plus I had lower back pain and wanted to make sure that lifting was helping and not hurting that (and I was successful). Hopefully I’ll still be able to add a lot to my DL and bench this year!

@naate Hi! Rereading this so I know what I’m saying, lol! Yes I’m in no way shading your lifts, like I said your squat is fantastic and mine is lagging (mostly due to constantly injuring my adductors when I started with the heavier weights). I just brought it up to emphasize that everyone is different. Your bench and dead will undoubtedly grow and I think you will still see linear gains, I absolutely do after two-ish years! Maybe a goal can be testing your 1RM on OHP and then building there too in 2024?

Back