24kg or double 12s

dmk741

Hello fellow kettlebellers,

I have been working with kettlebells since around January 1. I started with a single 16kg and then stepped up to a single 20kg. I’m 34M, 5’9” - starting weight around 205lbs and I’m down to 185. Running DFW and I’m getting ready to progress to a heavier weight.

Do you guys recommend a single 24 or double 12s? I’m considering pro kettlebells so I could eventually make the 12s into 14s with magnets.

I’ve read through a ton of post and see a lot of recommendations for double 16s at this point but I don’t really want to do that as I’ve been taking a “slow and steady” approach. Plus my 16 is a traditional hairstyle powder coated bell and I am interested in trying comp style bells.

I don’t think I’ve seen a single post recommending double 12s but it makes logical sense to me.

Let me know what y’all think!

@pamelakbd This.

Even if it's the "right" weight now, you will probably out grow them pretty soon.

This is the beauty of adjustables IMO. You can start where you are and progress without ever buying something again.

And my guess is that if you're looking at proKB, you aren't super sensitive to price.

@dmk741 I also highly suggest getting the competition style adjustable kettlebells if you can afford it. Get two and you’ll be set. It will save you money in the long run. If I could go back and start over this would be the approach I would take.

@deemarie This.

Venders people have talked about on here include: Bells of Steel. KB Kings, and Titan.

Don't know if anyone has purchased from Titan recently, but they have ones (different color than before...don't know if anything else is different) for $160.

A 12 kg from pro KB is the same price as the Titan adjustable. So if you were going to get double 12s, you could get double Titan adjustables.

Bells of Steel has 2 variants (where the bell is the same). One comes with up to 20.5 kg of weight (which can go up to 32 if you buy more plates). The comes with weight up to 32.

The Bells of Steel version has smaller plates than the Titan so you can micro load more. But I think the designs are all the same and they accept dumbbell plates.

I think the KB Pro bells look great. But you honestly can't be the value (in money and in space) of adjustable comp bells IMO.

@josephhayes When it comes time for me to get the additional weight (I have 2 BoS 1x 32 and 1x 20.5), I might get a Titan instead of the extra weight.

The extra weight is $100. The titan is $160.

And I think I'll have enough smaller weight plates to still have small jumps.

Back