40+g protein meals

shamila

Hey everyone

Just want to say I'm not vegan but would be interested in eating more plant based meals.

One thing I struggle with is the protein element of meals and find it difficult to get my goals(I appreciate this is a common challenge)

Does anyone have any fairly beginner friendly meals with high protein(listed in the title).

Any time I run a search I get things with protein that doesn't meat requirements and If I was to double it, the calories would be too high.

Any recipes or resources to get started would be appreciated.

For reference I am a bigish dude weighing about 90kg so need around 170g protein per day and would rather get most of it from whole foods rather than just shakes.

@shamila I am 80kg and eat around 150g protein on 2500 Cal.

Some food ideas:
  • Include a main source of protein in your meals eg tofu, tempeh, textured vegetable protein, seitan, most fake meats. These have similar protein-cal ratio as meat.
  • eat more lentils/beans/chickpeas for carbs instead of just rice. These have ~25% protein (dry).
  • some good carb sources that also have a decent amount of protein are oats, pasta and quinoa (all ~15g protein per 100g)
  • protein shakes are a good option if you need a bit of extra protein on top of whole food sources (I drink 1 per day usually)

@shanewp1988 these are great meals! i also add in nutritional yeast, milled flax seed, nuts/seeds in where i can for extra boosts of protien, they also make high protien nut milk that i’ll mix with protein powder and PB2 and have a protein shake with 50G to start the day!

@shamila My go tos would be:

TVP or plant based mince with beans and rice (I posted a photo on this sub a few days ago)

Tofu/tempeh in a laksa curry

TVP / plant based mince with pasta (lentil/chickpea pasta had more protein of you can afford it)

Oven roasted tofu (soaked in sauce of your choice) and vegetables (sweet potato, onion, capsicum, carrots)

I also have oats for breakfast with soy milk, ground flax seeds and a banana which has ~30g protein

@shamila You can add seeds (eg sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, perfect for pasta or salads) or nuts (eg cashews or peanuts, perfect for currys or other asian style meals) to almost every meal. It will add some extra protein and healthy fats to your meal. I love peanut butter in shakes, bowls, soups, ...

@kybub1 When your sunflower is coming to the end of it’s blooming period, You may want to use the last rays of the afternoon and evening to cut a few for display indoors, leave it any later and the sunflower may wilt.

@shamila One of my go to meals:

250g brown rice: 8g protein
250g lentils: 18g protein (if youre in the UK, aldi do microwave packets of french lentils that are v convenient)
80g peas: 5g protein
100g tofu: 13g protein

I add some cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, oregano and some chilli sauce so it doesn't taste of nothing.

Meal in total will be about 900 cals (if thats too high sub out brown rice for white) with 43g of protein.

Hope this helps!

@shamila Eat a whole foods plant based diet so eat oats, brown rice, potatoes, lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas! I eat a high carb low fat diet with 3600kcal and 170g of protein. I lowered my body fat percentage from 12% to below 8%.

Here's a typical day of eating for me while bulking with 170g of protein and 3600kcal.

Here's a typical day of eating while cutting with 120g of protein and 2000kcal.

Another typical day of eating while cutting with 94g of protein and 1500kcal.

Use cronometer to track calories.

According to this article you don't need to overkill on protein : https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle for natural trainees. This already includes a mark-up, since most research finds no more benefits after 0.64g/lb.

I'm 72kg and need max 120g of protein and min 100g of protein. When cutting I had a protein shake.