7x5 Incline pushup twice a day

albatro55

I'm 16 years old and im a boy, these days when i look into the mirror i kinda disgusted of myself that im in bad fucking shape like really bad because im 132 pounds and 5'1 yeah i know im short

The reason im asking this question is i want to know is that good enough for someone like me who doesnt workout in like 1 years since pandemic so does 7x5 Incline pushup twice a day good enough for me

Tbh i really want to see the result really quick ( im being really honest here)i know i sound a like whiny bitch who want everything instant, but i decided that i want to see the better version of myself
I want to talk to someone, i want to socialize, i want to have friends i know this isnt related to fitness but im guideline rule 3 said that i have to speak my mind(well tbh idk what that mean).

So let me know if im just being a whiny bitch who cant do shit, just please be honest with me here cuz im tired of the "oH yOu aRe ALrIghT" so tell me (you can use harsh word).

@albatro55 If I had to do just one excercise, it would probably be a squat variation or kettlebell swings. However it’s a better idea to train your whole body.

If I were you, I’d start with the minimalist routine that can be found in the menu of this sub. When you get more used to moving and have created a habit of working out, I’d change into something less minimalistic. (r/bodyweightfitness and r/Fitness both have good programs depending on what your goals are). If you want progress, it’s a good idea to follow a program that someone with more knowlege has designed, instead of just doing something.

@albatro55 Hey man, not a fitness based reply but work on positive self talk. It's good that you want to get better, but some compassion for yourself, despite wanting to be different, is quite important. Take care of yourself

@docwhyte Best way I've heard it said was from a talk-radio guy. People who call in will often engage in the same dark self-talk. His response is always the same.

"I just heard the way that you spoke about [X - "yourself"]. Well, X is now my new friend, and I just heard you talk about him/her that way, and I don't like it. So as a friend of X, I'm asking you to watch what you say about him/her, because it's unkind."

By separating the person from the self, the host made the caller actually reconsider the language used. I've tried to pick up that habit myself. "If someone said that about my wife / my kids / my friends / someone else I respect, how would I feel about it?"

@martin777 I like that. I heard a lady on the radio say she fights shitty self talk during times of stress by talking to herself as though she were her own adopted child or stepchild that she's trying to win over. Instead of "Late again eh, you fucking idiot!" it became "oh no, you hate being late! Rough start but we'll get through it. Let's be more prepared next time." I thought it was clever and found it helpful in reframing problems in a more constructive way. I liked your comment, thanks for sharing.

@martin777 I just heard about this concept of your "self-friend" this morning in my meditation lesson and it was phrased something like this:

Whenever you're thinking about any sort of negative thoughts toward yourself, think about whether or not you'd vocalize those thoughts towards your close friend. Usually whatever cock-up or insecurity that he'd keep repeating to you over and over again, you'd respond in kind with "Hey homie relax. It's not the end of the world. It's happened and you'll make it" rather than "yeah you deserve it".

The same mental block happens a lot in the gym, and I've heard countless stories of insecure newcomers coming into a gym consistently and having a huge gymbro congratulate them on looking bigger and stronger, despite the misconception that the yuge meat refrigerators are constantly watching for an opportunity to shit all over the new kids on the block.

Be that gymbro to yourself.

@docwhyte I disagree that this response is not fitness based. Mental health is one of the most important aspects of fitness. The brain needs taking care of and training, just as much as muscles do.

@docwhyte And another way to think about it is this: "I may not look good yet, but at least I'm taking steps to improving that and that's something!", and give yourself credit even just for that. I started on RR with this mindset and that's what allowed me to stick to it and saw results sooner than I expected.

Beating yourself up without taking positive action on the other hand, never helps because well, you just keep beating yourself up instead of directing that energy toward a positive goal that can actually change things for the better. So direct your whole attention to getting in a better shape (without overworking, of course), and you will see substantial results before long (and fuck that critical voice in your head!).

@matthereir This is the way. The most important thing is finding a routine you can stick to. That routine should probably include a set of 4-6 workouts a couple times a week. If pushups are the only thing you can do that's better than nothing but you'll see faster results if you can stick to a more comprehensive routine

@albatro55 Hey man! First of all, it's good to pay close attention to your self talk. No joke- this influences so much in terms of your physiology, psychology, motivation, confidence, and general outlook that can make huge differences in long term outcomes. Training isn't just about the physical; getting your psychology positive to support your physical efforts is HUGE.

So with that being said, there are no good shortcuts to results. The power of training comes from doing it over time. The benefits that you develop beyond just the physical ones, such as discipline, self-efficacy, strength of character, persistence, and an iron will all come from the process, not the end physical results. These make you a stronger person.

My advice to young people is to start developing a physical practice that they can stay consistent with. Train for your future self, because it will inevitably become you current self. Time is going to pass, no matter what. In a year or two, you can have a few years of good training under your belt... or not. if you get a good practice going, stay patient, and work hard, you can transform yourself into a more powerful person, inside and out.

To start, I recommend mastering basics. Work on improving your strength, form and quality with the fundamentals- things like push ups, pull ups, dips, rows, squats, lunges, step ups etc. For building muscle, you simply want to work these with EXCELLENT technique, through large ROM's, emphasizing control, and taking your sets just a few reps shy of failure. Starting out, shoot for 10-15 hard sets per week, allowing repetitions to increase as your proficiency increases. Once you do that for a few months, you can increase total volume, or experiment with more difficult variations. Consistency and quality are really important.

@albatro55 I highly recommend you start with the BWF primer (in the wiki). This is an easy to follow, 2 weeks program that It will teach you to:

1) Be patient. I totally understand you want results right now, we all did at some point. Unfortunately, there is no shortcut. If it was easy, everybody in the street would be ripped.

2) Importance of proper form to maximize efficiency and not get injured. Don't try something stupid and injure your shoulders, it might impede you for years.

3) Rest. Without rest, there is no gain and higher chances of injuries. This is the most neglected and counterintuitive thing for beginners. Beginners think if they train a muscle all day long, every single day it will grow faster, that's false.

At the end of the program you will feel a difference already. Then you can switch to the RR and train 3 times a week. Expect at least 3 months of dedicated training to have results visible by others.

@albatro55 Here's the path I took, and I can highly recommend this approach as being both simple to get your head around and very effective.

Follow the Recommended Routine from this subreddit every other day. FitLoop is a really good app for tracking this. Take the first few sessions to get familiar with each of the exercise pairs. It won't be long before you don't really need an app to run the routine - it's pretty simple and you'll have it committed to memory. This will take about an hour every other day. You need virtually no previous fitness to get started because the exercises are organized into progressions.

Next, you should start eating properly. You can run the calculator at this website to get a good idea of how that breaks down.
https://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrition-calculator

Based on your height and weight, you are right on the edge of the healthy BMI category. So I doubt you need to lose much weight. You just need to eat good fuel so that your body can build muscle.

Tracking the food you eat is really, really helpful in teaching you about good nutrition. I would recommend that to start, you shouldn't even worry too much about how or what you eat - just focus on inputting everything you eat into something like FatSecret or MyFitnessPal.

Eating right is really important for getting fit. But in my opinion, starting an exercise habit is more important as a first step, because once you've developed the habit of working out, eating right will get easier for a few reasons. You'll be more motivated to eat right because of all the work you're putting in, and the physical activity and muscle will give you a little more leeway for what you eat.

It seems like a lot, I know. But if you can get in the habit of doing the Recommended Routine every other day, everything else will start to fall in line. It's incredibly satisfying to see the progress you'll make if you just start working consistently. You're also young, male, and new to working out, which means you'll make quick progress if you just stay consistent.

One other thought - if you have access to a gym, a program like Stronglifts 5x5 is a lot of fun. Bodyweight is great, but the nice thing about weights is that progressive overload (the process of adding weight and difficulty to exercises to force your body to adapt by making muscle) is easier - you just add weight to the bar each time.

Either way - Focus on building a fitness habit for the next month, and then when that's habitual, start thinking about nutrition. If you do a well thought out workout like the RR or Stronglifts every other day you will see progress. It's almost impossible not to see progress if you go at it consistently.

And in a few months, you will be shocked at how differently your body looks.

You're at the best possible time in your life to pick up this habit. You can do it! Go get started today.

@albatro55 Okay man, first of all, please for the love of god use interpunction when you write. Now it just looks like one giant ramble and you make it way more difficult to read and understand than it needs to be.

Secondly, I’ll answer all of your questions and give remarks:

I’m 16 years old and I’m a boy

Okay, so it is very important to understand that at this age your body most likely has not fully developed yet. You will see changes in the coming years and getting more muscular may be more difficult now than it will be in a couple of years. Puberty can be a bitch. It wasn’t really to me but it definitely was to some people around me.

I’m 132 pounds and 5’1, yeah I know I’m short

Firstly, being short has nothing to do with any of this. It even makes callisthenics wayyyyyy easier. I am super tall and heavy and many exercise are much harder because of it. Secondly, what exactly do you mean by stating your weight? Do you want to gain weight and muscle mass, or do you mainly want to lose fat? Do you find yourself too fat or two skinny? I have no idea what this height and this weight make you look like, as they’re so far off from my own. Be clear in what your goals are.

is 7x5 incline push-up twice a day good enough for me? [paraphrased]

Well, every type of exercising you will do will be much better than doing nothing. It’s a start. But doing only incline push-ups obviously doesn’t train your entire body. So logically you won’t get stronger overall. You will get stronger at pushing and maybe get stronger abs, but you are completely neglecting any pulling or leg movement. Besides that, doing 7 sets of 5 twice a day is a pretty weird way to train. What is the reason you picked these seemingly random numbers? If you do 14 sets a day, that means that those sets are absolutely not challenging enough. Or if they are, you will be completely overworking your body by not giving it the rest it needs.

I would advise doing a full body routine once every 2-3 days. So that means you have 1-2 rest days after every workout, 3-4 if you are extremely sore and can’t train effectively yet. The recommended routine (RR) on this subreddit is a great place to start, and I would pick that one if I were you. However, if you really want to keep it short and simple and can’t commit to the RR, you could do the following:
  • 1 pushing exercise
  • 1 pulling exercise
  • 1 leg exercise
  • 1 core exercise
All of these 3-5 sets of 5-12 reps. For example, if you can do 10 reps max if you go all out on incline push-ups, you could do 3-4 sets of 8. So you stay away from failure and try to do consistent reps, where the last set is the hardest. Each week you will get a little bit stronger and sometimes you may be able to add one or two reps somewhere. This is called progressive overload. 7x5 is a very strange set and rep scheme which I wouldn’t really recommend.

Tbh I really want to se the result really quick

You know this is not how it works. You don’t get results quickly. Get it out of your head. You absolutely will get great results if you pick a routine and train consistently for months, 2 or 3 times a week, or even just once a week. Besides that, good sleep and good food, enough food, that will get you pretty far.

So in conclusion:
- Be clear in what your goals are.
- Stop wanting quick results. Not gonna happen.
- Pick a decent routine, like the RR.
- Train consistently, 1-3 a week.
- Add reps when you can.
- Eat well.
- Sleep well.

This will get you stronger, guaranteed.

@albatro55 Awesome man! Great to have you here. I’m psyched to hear from you again in a month. You can see (or mainly feel) very decent results in a month or two if you really commit to it and really work on your technique and control of all the movements.

@albatro55 No, I don't think you should just do 7x5 incline PUs twice a day because that's just way too much volume. Find an actual program that you can progress with, like this subreddit's own free program "Recommended Routine". It's full body 3 days a week and calisthenics athletes covet it as the holy grail of free calisthenics programs. Give that a try for 8 weeks with proper nutrition and sleep, if you don't like it then find another program.

Back