8 Month Progress w/ Reddit PPL

samiwhitie

Background

I'll keep this short and sweet and if you think I left some information out please feel free to ask. I always respond.

I used to be a calisthenic freak back in my high school days, so I did loads of pull ups and other variations. A lot of dips, push ups, and hundreds of squats a day since it's only body-weight am I right? I got the newb gains, but I was ignorant in the nutrition area, so I didn't really progress much further in size. Fast-forward to now where I have a consistent schedule and more knowledge in overall health and fitness, I believe I've come a long way after 8 months of consistent lifting and more focus on my diet. The first two months were an aggressive cut then I unintentionally dirty bulked for 4 months(I rebounded hard), and I finally decided to do a slow 4-month cut before my vacation in the Philippines.

M/23/5'9"(178cm)

SW: 87.5kg/193lb, CW: 82.5kg/182lb, GW: As lean as possible without feeling like death.

Before and After Pic:
Cut/Bulk Pics:
Current Calorie Intake: 2400-2600

Macros: 30P/20F/50C

Diet:

Nothing out of the ordinary, I eat pretty much every protein source that are on the leaner side just to hit my macros. Lots of mixed vegetables and fruits every meal. Brown/white rice for carbs and sometimes whole wheat tortillas. I'm also doing intermittent fasting because I love eating huge meals and I like that incapacitated feeling after eating so much.

Sauces I cook with every meal: Oyster, Hoisin, Fish, Soy, Rice vinegar

Sauces I use with these meals: Sugar free Ketchup, Sugar Free BBQ, Sugar free Cucumber Relish(it's so good)

I also do a re-feed once or twice a week depending on how exhausted I feel.

Workout Program:

I have never lifted weights prior 2019, however I used to do calisthenics for a lot of years just never consistently.

I've been following the Reddit PPL beginner program ever since February'19 with slight changes. I added weighted pull-ups on pull days and dips on push days because they're my babies. These 2 exercises were pretty much the foundation of my current physique since I used to only do body-weight exercises(inconsistently) for many years.

Deadlift and Bench went down by 5lb at the beginning of my cut, but Squat and OHP increased by 5lb

Current lifts in this cut:

Deadlift: 120.2kg/265lb (3x5, sometimes 4x5 if I had a re-feed during the week)

Bench: 88.4kg/195lb, (4x5, 1x5+)

Squat: 108.9kg/240lb (4x5, 1x5+ down to 3x5, 1x5+)

OHP: 54.4kg/120lb (4x5, 1x5+)

What's cardio?

Stretch: Every single day. Memory Foam Rollers are amazing especially before you hit legs.

Sleep: 7-8 hours. I'm very strict on my sleeping schedule, so I make sure to sleep at the same time every night!

Lifestyle: 8 hours of desk job, so I try to move as much as possible. I also don't drink alcohol or smoke.

Supplements:
  • Magnesium
  • Fish-Oil
  • EC Stack (Please do a long research before starting this stack)
  • Whey Protein
  • Creatine
  • Vitamin D

@samiwhitie Many thanks mate. I follow something similar but with bit more volume but have been feeling absolutely burst recently. I’ll follow this religiously for a few months and hopefully make some nice progression

@randor No sweat! More volume than 8-12 reps? That'll definitely kill me lol. I suggest keeping the main lifts 5-6 range, 6-10 for the following compound movements, and 8+ for the isolations. Good luck!

@samiwhitie I'm not sure what you mean, but the most appropriate and indicative measure of volume for hypertrophy is the number of sets taken sufficiently near failure.

Edit: thanks for the downvotes. Here are some of the foremost evidence-based fitness professionals, and academic studies, backing this up:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.strongerbyscience.com/the-new-approach-to-training-volume/amp/

https://mennohenselmans.com/optimal...tness professionals,per muscle group per week.

https://www.frontiersin.org/article...xYRNuFS7LVPPh5Jm7S_x0q1zj3tcdDyk7R3qMTvo8_4WA

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30063555

https://www.researchgate.net/public...od_for_Muscle_Hypertrophy_A_Systematic_Review

@samiwhitie My understanding of volume is it’s simply a number as follows.

8 x 1@ 10kg = 80kg total volume

4 x 1@ 20kg = 80kg total volume.

In both sets volume is exactly the same.

So as long as you increase the total number it’s a volume increase. So it could be a few extra reps or an extra set.

I think what the chap who posted the links is saying regarding additional sets as best volume to add is probably true.

If you try and add 2/3 extra reps at end of an already close to or at failure set those reps either Won’t happen or they will be horrible reps.

Where as a short rest the. Try and get an extra few reps in by way of another set is more likely to provide better quality reps.

Either way you’ve made excellent progress from the program it clearly works and to others reading if you’re making progress you’re winning.

Progress means prizes

@pjb084 Thanks a lot bro! Is your name from the horror movie? Anyways, I tried heavier with deadlifts and I know I can lift heavier, but it's my grip that gives out which is pretty annoying. So right now, I'm just focusing on more sets and form until my grip strength catches up. As for squat, I'm honestly not sure. I'm focusing more on maintaining my strength since I feel too weak to increase the weight weekly. With leg days twice a week and squat is 3x5, 1x5+ per session, I'm at the point where I'll walk like a penguin when no one is around lol

@placidus Now that you bring it up, I think I'll definitely get them. My ego was getting ahead of me. I had the mindset of not wanting "help" on any of my lifts. I'm curious though if it'll stop my grip strength from improving.

Back