A 15 minutes bodyweight routine for posture and strength imbalances correction - No equipment required

@bitshift When I was a beginning physiotherapist I thought that there are good exercises and bad exercises. Since then I've learned that that's not true. There is no exercise or stretch that everyone have to avoid or have to do (except for really silly stuff).
Everyone are different, each person can respond differently to a specific stretch. For older people with specific conditions- yeah probably flexing the head and neck backwards is not the best. And even in that case, this contraindication is just because of age being a risk factor for some vascular problems. Many older people will tolerate it just fine.

The point is, there is no "good" or "bad" exercise or stretch for everyone to do. For a specific person, there can be a set of exercises that is more beneficial or favorable then others, sure. Same as there is no "bad" or "good" posture for everyone (health wise).

@jacob4472 You're absolutely right. The fitness community as a whole has been brainwashed into buying into this corrective exercise quackery, without bothering to do any research. There is also no evidence that your posture has any bearing on pain you may experience.

Plenty of well meaning individuals are putting out potentially harmful content causing folks to believe they are somehow moving or exercising "wrong".

@dawn16 Yep... Its a bit frustrating sometimes that people would rather listen to someone that tells them what they want to hear and reinforces their beliefs instead of listening to a physiotherapist who knows what the facts are.

Don't know about the downvoting, its not like I'm saying anything revolutionary or new.
Here's an example of a well respected physio saying pretty much the same things as I wrote:

@jacob4472 It's just modern, rebranded broscience. This community is quick to dismiss bro-splits and dodgy supplements, but will eat up anything related to "corrective exercises" or posture.

I imagine in a few years this type of post will be regarded as this decade's version of muscle magazines.

Edit: Even stranger, reddit generally sees chiropractic care as the nonsense that it is, but fail to recognize corrective exercise and this obsession of posture as an extension of that field.

@dawn16 I agree. Hopefully physiotherapists (called physical therapists in the US) and sports therapists, will do a better job of spreading the truth and evidence based training and therapy in the coming years. And I agree, the whole set of ideas of stretching tight muscles and strengthening long muscles (aka "cross syndrome") will be only mentioned just as the historical mistake that it is.
And all people will understand that if there are reasons to try and change postural habits, they are not health related.

I stumbled upon this post, I didn't know that "corrective exercises" and such are big in this subreddit. Didn't mean to upset anyone.

@jacob4472 The biomechanical model of pain is outdated. I name drop Barbell Medicine a ton in regards to this stuff, because they are doing great things in regards to educating the masses on this stuff. Actual medical doctors who are/have been successful powerlifters and stay up to date on the latest scientific research. So many fitness "influencers" claim to be science based, but these guys are the real deal. It's unfortunate how desperately people grasp to their dogma though. Change takes time but it is happening.

The top 4th, 3rd, and 2nd all time posts on this subreddit are posture/correction related. People have been convinced they're broken and that belief alone is enough to cause symptoms. It's a shame.

@jacob4472 The reference is real life with the numerous people who managed to correct their posture with simple exercises, myself included, without needing to spend money with health "professionals"
Testimonies are everywhere

@coconut23 So are testimonies for bigfoot, homeopathy and alien abductions.
If it would have worked so well than why does the research in the field not support your claims?!
(it's a rhetoric question, I already know what you'll say.... "they didn't research my method" or "they tested it wrong" or "the field is ahead of the research".
If these theories would be correct, there would be no problem with providing research that supports them. For some reason, no one have still to do so.

https://www.painscience.com/articles/posture.php

www.greglehman.ca/blog/2014/11/22/text-neck-is-bad-science-and-fear-mongering

https://www.painscience.com/articles/stretching.php

http://www.greglehman.ca/blog/2016/01/11/jandas-lower-crossed-syndrome-has-not-been-validated

@coconut23 This is nice, thank you! I do not sit for my job, in fact my job is physically demanding. My imbalances are from injuries though, and this routine is gonna be my gentle lead in to my usual yoga stuff. I'm psyched! (Plus I love seal stretch!)

@dawn16 Depending on the nature of your job, you may have to adjust the exercises in the "strengthening" part to fit your needs and correct what would need to be corrected.

In the case of jobs that involve picking up and carrying stuff all day long, I would not expect the hip and spine extensors to be as weak as if you were sitting. Therefore, the 15r Glute Bridge Curl could for example be replaced by 30s of Hollow Body Hold to make sure that the abs and hip flexors are as strong as the erector spinae and hip extensors.

@coconut23 Oh wow, thanks for that feedback.
Specifically, I'm working on a weird combo of fixing weak left leg after 13 months of plantars fasciitis on left foot which made me walk funny. Mix that with super tight hams and a job consisting of heavy lifting, ladder climbing , and long periods of standing. Oh, and I'm just now working on bad posture held during standing.