A question for runners with thick thighs

@timothysir Have you tried the loose fitting running shorts (the kind that typically has the built in liner/undies)? I used to not like them because I was like but then I’ve got two pairs of undies on? And then I was like, duh, don’t wear other undies with them. Maybe that’s obvious for some people but it wasn’t for me, haha. I find that they’re really comfortable and breezy.

@lovelyvera Loose fitting and slightly longer worked out sooooo well! I’m kind of in between L/XL right now, so I got XL. It felt like they were riding super high because the waistband was up to my bellybutton, but they were still long enough. It was perfect!

@timothysir I generally wear capri's from JC Penny- they have held up for years and are only like $20/per on sale. I was thrilled two years ago when i saw they had shorts in the same brand. They are about 5 inches above my knee which doesn't hit at the most flattering place but are much cooler in summer and no riding up.

@clw1088 Yes, came here to suggest this! Skirt Sports has a lot of their undershorts with silicone leg grippers and they WORK. Those shorts don’t move at all!

@timothysir Lots of people here recommending longer shorts or compression, which might work for you, but what works for me is body glide/2Toms/Squirrel's Nut Butter in between my thighs. The slick skin lets the shorts move around freely without wanting to bunch up into my crotch.

@timothysir Love your shirt! I find that shorts have to be a couple inches past the part of my legs that touch in order to not ride up.

Alternately, if you prefer short shorts, you could just wear super super short ones (like a one inch inseam) so there isn't enough material to be a problem when they ride up a bit. You could throw a skirt over if you want more coverage

@timothysir I only run in tight biker shorts so my thighs can glide. I don't like the short swishy shorts because they usually come with built in underwear that I hate.

@timothysir I just don't care. Even basketball style baggy shorts go up my butt when I run. Used to have to wear them for pt in training and the waistband would move up to my damn ribs.

See all those advertisements for shorts that don't ride up and I think it's all a lie.

@timothysir First of all I love your shirt and your pup!

I find that I have this problem a bit, too. I found that wearing compression shorts under my running shorts helped me not notice the top layer riding up as much, but then if those are too short, they end up riding up, too. It's a vicious cycle. I think longer shorts are the way to go. I generally wear the Nike run shorts with the built in underwear, so compression shorts underneath is just too many layers. I know they've got some shorts that have the compression ones built in under a top layer so maybe try to find a pair like that?

@timothysir This may be a little silly, but on a whim one day I wore a pair of men's long compression shorts (without an open fly) and it changed my life. By far my favorite running shorts and they didn't creep at all! I've found that the penis pouch isn't too obvious and they're very breathable. Bonus - they often come in multi packs!

@timothysir Just remember, thick thighs save lives lol.

I have thick thighs too. I wear compression shorts or two in one shorts/compression. Also capri leggings from time to time but they get hot in the summer. If you don't mind them riding up, and they're not chafing you, I wouldn't sweat it.

@timothysir Whenever I wear tight shorts, they ride up! I love my thick thighs though so it's all good!

The one pair of shorts that I love, that don't ride up, are loose. They fit so well and I love running in them. I got them from Target years ago and I don't remember if they were branded as running shorts or what, but tight shorts have never worked for me, unless they're knee length... At that point they are basically leggings, which I enjoy in the cooler weather.

Back