A question for runners with thick thighs

@timothysir I like running in tennis skirts! They typically have really short spandex shorts underneath, which are short enough to not have the riding up issue. And I think the skirt flouncing around while I run is fun.

@seattleite I just run in longer shorts. A few extra ounces in clothes isn't going to matter diddly-squat compared to my body fat.

Levi's to the ankle though, that's definitely too much. But jean shorts are fine to run in or basketball shorts.

@timothysir I solve the problem by not wearing shorts. I wear knee length tights/leggings.

I don’t find them any hotter than wearing shorts and am far more comfortable not having chafe or having to pick the shorts out of my bum every 200m.

@dawn16 Well, I’ve been wearing tights, capris, and leggings for the last few years. I wanted to switch it up a bit! I really love the feeling of the wind hitting my skin while I’m moving. It makes me feel faster haha

@dawn16 this - there are no shorts, biker shorts underneath or not, that do not ride up. It's less aggravating to just not wear them then to continually search for shorts that are just going to ride up.

@timothysir Try slightly longer, looser shorts. Those look a tad too fitted for running--totally fine for yoga or walking around, but heavy duty exercise like running will definitely cause tight shorts to ride up.

Edit: OP, try loose running shorts with built in underwear, that's the only type I run in and I don't experience problems riding up. I think the built in underwear prevents the shorts from riding up your waist and digging into your crotch.

@pwl These particular ones I’ve just had forever, and had never actually run in! Until recently I’d been running in leggings and capris exclusively.

Back