A question for runners with thick thighs

@timothysir For runners on a budget...

I've had the best luck with looser fitting and longer shorts- nothing fancy either, just stuff I've gotten from Walmart. I bought a couple sizes up so that they sit lower on my waist (and more loosely there, too) and just adjusted them with the drawstrings. I've got like 5 pairs that look just like this, but a few inches longer. And again, sized up. THe looseness I think keeps them from really feeling like they're even there so it's very airy.

I also wear basketball shorts a lot. You know the kind- like this. Doesn't matter if it's men's or women's. Never had an issue with them riding up, regardless of length. Do they look as cute? Maybe not. Do they fit their purpose? Certainly.

@timothysir I agree with most suggestions here - try a longer compression/bike short so the stress point for the shorts material is not at the thickest part of your anatomy. They are riding up, in part, b/c the friction of your legs moving is pushing the material up to a less stressed spot and there's nothing in the shorts to keep them in place.

Enjoy your runs!

@timothysir This is a great question! I love running in shorts too, simply for the fact that I don’t care who sees my legs & some air flow “down there” makes me overheat a bit less on hot days. Having thicker thighs, The only ones I have found that don’t ride up are IAB brand. (I think you can only buy them on their website)? They have a little rubber grippy on the bottom hem to make them stay put as you move around and they come in shorter lengths so you can still feel like your giving your legs room to breathe!

@timothysir Personally, I can't run in spandex/form fitting shorts. No matter how many brands I try they always ride up.

Instead I stick with more of this style because they are loose. I also make sure they have a drawstring waste band so that I can keep them from falling down haha. The joy of thick thighs

@timothysir I really like the Lululemon Train times shorts 6” (more tights than shorts) for warmer weather. They ride up a little bit at the start of my run but by 1-2km in I’m sweaty enough they stay in place.

I also really love that they have a big pocket at the back of the waistband that keeps my phone secure and out of the way (iPhone 8 plus, it’s huge!!).

For cooler weather I like the 2XU mid rise long compression tights, but they have only a tiny pocket! Key only, not even a credit card can fit :( Plan to test out a longer pair of the train times soon!

Edit: spelling

@timothysir I only wear pants when I run because shorts can be annoying (honestly the riding up happens to me too even though my thighs are on the thinner side) but I just wanted to comment and say I love your dog and your shirt!

@timothysir I too have given up on shorts and only wear leggings but just want to say that this thread has made me reconsider and also feel less alone in this problem!!!

@snipesome For me it’s not so much giving up on shorts. I’m determined to make this work and be more confident in my body. Plus I love the way the breeze feels on my legs.

@timothysir I've the same problem with chaffing and shorts riding up. PITA trying to yank them back down my legs while running. Longer line shorts work for me. Believe it or not, the best and most comfiest ones I've found are actually cycling shorts from Primark.

(Gorge doggo btw!!)

@timothysir I run in bike shorts. I hate tight shorts so I get the unflattering, makes you look like you have no butt shorts. I think the inseam is still short, like 5 inches or so. Marathon approved to not ride up.

@timothysir Lot of people recommending longer shorts, but if you’ve got your Body Glide, then why not go shorter with a one-inch inseam? There’s nothing to ride up at all. I don’t have super thick thighs and I still get ride-up, but only on certain shorts. I eliminate the problem by wearing shorts that are ultra short and use plenty of BG.

@timothysir I have some Athleta skorts that have lasted me five years and show no signs of wear. The shorts part are compression style, maybe 3” inseam. The bottom of the legs have a plastic line around them that helps it stick to your legs and not ride up as much. Despite how I’m describing it they are really comfortable.

Back