A Year of Calisthenics and Powerlifting Progress (6'2", 200lbs, 19y/o - 3 years lifting, 1.5 specifically BWF Focused)

@von20207777 Very impressive man, looked tiny in the very beginning of the video and now you are a large scary man. Did you work up to a certain point in powerlifting before attempting BW training, or was it in conjunction with improving your lifts? I am roughly the same body type but at 220 with more beer weight than I'd like to admit and similar powerlifting numbers, but I can't get into the BW mentally when I don't see progress compared to my powerlifting.

@jaxter Thanks man!! I appreciate it. I started with just bodybuilding, slowly focused more on strength (first BW thing I did was weighted pull-ups), and after about a year and a half of weight training I had a solid strength base and started to focus on BW strength and flexibility.

With BW I found it very important to write down exact sets and reps, and even write down the next week to set goals and keep yourself realistic. With a good body composition (either less beer or more calories burnt hahaha) you'll see decent progress week by week. You get to a point especially if you're larger where it starts to slow down and it can be very demotivating. That's when I usually deload and come back stronger.

One thing I've found very important in my training after reaching an intermediate level, is almost NEVER train to failure. Work up to a difficult top set, and back off 10% and match the reps is my usual approach to stuff like dips and pull-ups, it keeps you honest. You build more strength with less CNS fatigue at lighter, but still moderate, weights.

I'd say give bodyweight a shot, the control you gain is incredible.

@von20207777 You're an absolute beast dude. I see hard work, dedication and discipline really do pay off. I was just wondering, what does your diet usually consist of?

@katchan Thank you so very much!!!

So the first part of the year was bulking at 4000cals a day, then a short 1 month cut during July 3400 cal to trim some fat, then I went up to 4500 a day from August-November. Cut at 3500 recently now maintaining at 4000.

I try and get a decent amount of greens and 200g of protein a day, but that's about it. Besides that a lot of oats, breakfast sandwiches, whatever the dining hall has for dinner, and ice cream, milk, and more oats.

Honestly, whatever gets me the calories.

@von20207777 You cut at 3500 calories? I'm a young guy too (16 actually) and have a pretty high activity level, but that would be a pretty dirty bulk for me. Is it because you are so tall and heavy, or do you have a really high activity level (what do you do all day?)?

@kaylee994 A combination of tall, heavy, and high activity level. I workout about 15 hours a week and have a lot of muscle that burns a lot of calories. My metabolism may be slightly faster, but it's mostly size and activity level.

@von20207777 Damn you responded fast. Thank you so much. Seeing how lithe and graceful you became was really inspiring, and I might just have to try this calisthenics thing out :)

@mshade Thanks man that means a lot :). I would highly recommend it, it teaches you a new level of control over your body.

And it's winter break, a time for family, relaxing, redditing, and getting strong as hell :p (also food).

@von20207777 Great progress! A couple of questions from a newbie to bodyweight training that has similar goals (powerlifting and gymnastics training):

You mentioned getting stalled by shoulder impingement. My right shoulder is having similar issues (basically a pinching pain where my trap meets my neck and at the processes at the end of my shoulder); what pulling and external rotation work did you add that fixed it?

I'm probably better served by a beginner routine and the RR than by DUP at this point, but do you have a preferred guide or resource for it?

@edwardcruri So I'd highly recommend reading Overcoming Gravity (/r/overcominggravity the book is linked on there, get the 2nd edition it's incredibly worth it. I used the code GIFTBOOK (I think) on amazon and it saved $5), that's what I recommend to anyone who's curious about the programming of bodyweight exercises and progression. It's by far the best collection of knowledge of the subject.

For the impingement, first what worked for me was face pulls. Follow this tutorial, it's pretty much how I do them to get the shoulder pre/rehab benefit:

I also just did rowing in general with front lever rows.