am I doing enough sets for hypertrophy on push and pull days?

goldengirl34

I repeat this twice a week:

Push Day:
Chest Press 3 sets to failure
Peck Deck 3 sets to failure
Triceps Dips machine 3 sets to failure
Triceps Cable Extensions 3 sets to failure

Pull Day:
Lat Pulldown 3 sets to failure
Cable Rows 3 sets to failure
Bicep Curls 3 sets to failure
Bicep Hammer Curls 3 sets to failure

@goldengirl34 As per your needs, you might need more chest volume. If this is your only chest day you might want to add some kind of incline press.

Push Day: Chest Press 3 sets

Peck Deck 3 sets

After all this chest, I think this is kinda a lot of triceps. But also if It's your only tricep day you should probably be doing something over head (to target long head). Remove one do something over head

Triceps Dips machine 3 sets

Triceps Cable Extensions 3 sets

What are you targeting with your back exercise? If this is your only back day, I would be doing at least 3 things for back. A lat focused pull down, Upper back focused pull down, Lat focused row, Upper back focused row. Unless let's say you have a good upper back, just do one exercise for it.

Pull Day: Lat Pulldown 3

Cable Rows 3

After all that, I would super set biceps, probably. These are fine. Maybe better could be something in short position first then something long position.

Example: Spider curls - Incline curls 3 sets total

Bicep Curls 3

Bicep Hammer Curls 3

Also, you have no rear delts or side delts

I would do side delts on push rear on pull

@goldengirl34 If I am training progression for chest
Week 1
I want to work in 8-10 rep range so I pick a weight that is difficult for me to achieve those 10 reps. I perform 40 reps regardless of how many sets it takes.
Week 2
Did I manage to get those 40 reps easily in 4 sets with maybe a little hassle to get the last couple on the last set? Sounds like I can go up in weight and I perform the same 40 reps. If I struggled to perform those 40 reps with my weight from week 1 with sets of 8,8,8,8,8 I would stay with the same weight but perform 42 reps. I still progressed without changing the weight.
Week 3
Did I perform those sets from last week easily, did I go up in weight or reps last week, you need to constantly be analyzing what you are actually doing in the gym and track what you do so you can get better.

@goldengirl34 I think you could take 1 more on chest and 2 more on backs, like a dumbbel row and a reverse fly. Also, when are you training shoulders? on leg day? Cause I don't see it here.

@goldengirl34 I thought so. It's good as you are doing it with shoulders, maybe 2 exercises with 3 series each will be enough

For chest I meant 1 exercise with 3 series. With backs the same, with my example 2 more exercises would be 3 series dumbbel row and 3 series reverse fly. Just like you are doing with your other exercises, until failure.

@goldengirl34 Are you limited by equipment in any way? That volume is enough but I don't think the routine as a whole is very well rounded. Especially if you aren't changing exercises as you alternate push/pull days.

Lat Pulldown and Row are general terms and you should definitely be performing one of them to bias the lats and one of them to bias the upper back. Make sure you know the difference or you could be neglecting an entire muscle group, potentially the biggest one in your back (lats)

@goldengirl34 You're over the threshold for where the average lifter will have a steep downward slope for their diminishing returns.

That said, nobody is the 'average' person—some do better on more, some on less. So, try doing less. Try doing more. See what works best for you as a balance of your results + preferences. Note, however, that going balls-to-the-wall can result in big changes, but it also increases the risk of injury, and you don't gain muscle when you're not able to train it (at least, sufficiently)

Back